mrzippy

Top vent rain mod ideas?

It annoys me that when the unit is in use or after a cook while cooling down (before I get a cover on it) that rain can land right down into the top vent slats. I like my vents lubricated with oils from cooking.. not washed with rain.

I'm a new owner so I'm wondering if someone has already done a little mod that was functional and even better if artful.. :-). Thanks all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to Kamado Guru. There are a couple of commercial products and a few user hacks (on this forum)  that add a top hat type cover over domes. Hopefully someone with one will chime in. 

I've been experimenting with Tip Top Temp controller and while I am pleased with how it works for low and slow cooking, it would not solve the rain down the vent problem.

I think the simplest solution might be to place a metal bucket upside down over the vent while cooling down if might inhale rain.

Here's the TipTopTemp device..

DSC01920.thumb.JPG.11bf570f318e8300dbe4e9a61970a54d.JPG

I just cover the vent and thermometer with a piece of aluminum foil when it rains before I can cover. The long term solution is going to be a built in cabinet with a roof over it on my patio that I haven't put in yet. 

I used a disposable foil pan upside down once but that is a hack.... I haven't done ceramics since high school but maybe it's time to take the kids & go make a ceramic bird house topper! Lol. I keep thinking of things around the house I could chop up or bold together.

@mrzippy - you are worried about a non issue.  I live on the Guld Coast for years, kept my kamados in the open, exposed to rain during many cooks, and never once worried about rain.  Remember, water and oil/grease don't mix.  You're not losing any lubrication and the amount of rain going through the top vent is deminimus.  All these rain vent contraptions are merely a solution in search of a problem.  Just stop being so anal and cook on!  Save the money and but some great meat.  Enjoy.

I think the simplest solution might be to place a metal bucket upside down over the vent while cooling down if might inhale rain.

Here's the TipTopTemp device..

A Non-rusting (aluminum?) bucket upside down could indeed do the trick if I poke some holes with a drill. Where could I get such a bucket from tho... hmmmm. Are citronella candles in aluminum or metal buckets? I like the bucket idea if I can find something that won't rust.

If you have a removable cap the Smokeware cap will shed rain but for me more important is the the setting does not change when opening the dome.

If you have access to an empty large commercial can like food service uses or a warehouse club sells-- just use a church key or the v shaped opener and make openings around the top of an empty can. It may not be rust proof but it is free and fast to make.

https://smokeware.com/collections/chimney-caps

[mention=14246]mrzippy[/mention] - you are worried about a non issue.  I live on the Guld Coast for years, kept my kamados in the open, exposed to rain during many cooks, and never once worried about rain.  Remember, water and oil/grease don't mix.  You're not losing any lubrication and the amount of rain going through the top vent is deminimus.  All these rain vent contraptions are merely a solution in search of a problem.  Just stop being so anal and cook on!  Save the money and but some great meat.  Enjoy.

Lol... I am a tinkerer and very detail oriented. Or medically maybe I'm ADD and OCD as they call it. My pit boss is my 3rd unit and I'm in a forum to talk about my grill so I'm already an extremist!

7 hours ago, Marty said:

If you have a removable cap the Smokeware cap will shed rain but for me more important is the the setting does not change when opening the dome.

If you have access to an empty large commercial can like food service uses or a warehouse club sells-- just use a church key or the v shaped opener and make openings around the top of an empty can. It may not be rust proof but it is free and fast to make.

https://smokeware.com/collections/chimney-caps

They don't make one that fits the Pit Boss or Vision grills.  The stock cap is much better than the obsolete BGE design and doesn't lose settings when you open the lid, but it is open to the  top. Rain getting in while cooking is not an issue because it will just steam, but after shutdown I don't want it getting in the ash. 

Bad pic I know. Point is it's raining. I'm sitting in the gazebo not worrying bout rain. Laying back, enjoying the night. Maybe we get some lightning. Love that. No fear of rain.  At least at normal amounts. I do have flood plains nearby. That's a different story.

IMG_0050.JPG

1 hour ago, m-fine said:

They don't make one that fits the Pit Boss or Vision grills.  The stock cap is much better than the obsolete BGE design and doesn't lose settings when you open the lid, but it is open to the  top. Rain getting in while cooking is not an issue because it will just steam, but after shutdown I don't want it getting in the ash. 

Ok thanks for the info.

I did the food can for my Akorn and it worked very well but possibly the diameter of the vision/pit boss top vent would be too big. It is cheap easily replaced and ready to go in minutes.