Sign in to follow this  
mtndan

First pizza cook - help wanted

Hi all. Just tried my first pizzas on the Akorn. I would love some help to fine tune.

Pizzas were tasty but crust on bottom seemed undercooked, while top was perfect.

Dough was quick same day recipe from elements of pizza. Used king Arthur bread flour.

I used 500 degrees indirect heat with the smokin stone, then a pizza stone on top of 3" high fire bricks on the main grate. Pizzas on parchment paper on the stone. Cook time around 9m. Pictures attached.

Thanks in advance!

!3810e6ee9a61f0e94cf50dbf07534c26.jpg3bfa768c5aed5bdf34507fbeb22b5cd9.jpg72034a3dcd126a92ddc3d2fad54a3713.jpg

c29512c7204e6d665804cae0a065201e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nine minutes - that should have been 3-5 minutes. My guess is you didn't let the pizza stone come up to full temp. 

Get the kamado up to temp temp and stabilized where you want it (about 60 minutes). After that put the pizza stone in and no matter how low the temp goes don't touch the vents. It'll eventually climb back up to your desired temp (could be another 60 minutes). Once back at temp  put the pizza in and all will be right. 

Also wouldn't use those bricks to raise it up. They are going to block a lot of heat keeping the stone under temp. Find something different to raise it up. Something that lets air/temp flow under the stone. 

Thanks. My wife's theory is there was too much stuff underneath - didn't need diffuser+fire bricks+pizza stone. What do you think?

Also, I just left both vents wide open the whole time as it was heating up. Should I have shut one or both down?

Do I even need to raise up the stone? Could it just sit on the main grate? I tried it on the Akorn's raised grate but the lid didn't shut

Just now, mtndan said:

Thanks. My wife's theory is there was too much stuff underneath - didn't need diffuser+fire bricks+pizza stone. What do you think?

Also, I just left both vents wide open the whole time as it was heating up. Should I have shut one or both down?

Diffuser and stone is OK. Throw the firebricks out the window. 

Start closing down the top vent. 

When you leave the top vent wide open you're letting a lot of heat escape out the wide open hole in the top. When you start closing the top vent you trap more heat inside the kamado causing the temp to rise faster. 

Wide open kamado  top vents is the current cause of global warming - LOL - j/k - maybe - LOL 

Also wouldn't use those bricks to raise it up. They are going to block a lot of heat keeping the stone under temp. Find something different to raise it up. Something that lets air/temp flow under the stone. 

I agree, seems likely the bricks prevented your pizza stone from heating up to an adequate temperature.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 2017-7-2 at 8:49 AM, mtndan said:

My wife's theory is ...

Well that's unusual for a wife to have a theory.......

7 hours ago, mtndan said:

Tried again tonight following advice - much better results. Thanks all!

I hope you said thanks to the wife for her theory, and gave her credit for the improvement, as well as for making you an all round better version of yourself ;) 

Thanks for this thread.  @ckreef 's post about shutting wives up and cooking like a man the top vent was really helpful.  Will be trying that shortly.

38 minutes ago, KamadoJosephine said:

Well that's unusual for a wife to have a theory.......

I hope you said thanks to the wife for her theory, and gave her credit for the improvement, as well as for making you an all round better version of yourself ;) 

Thanks for this thread.  @ckreef 's post about shutting wives up and cooking like a man the top vent was really helpful.  Will be trying that shortly.

LOL 

I have an Akorn as well, and i've cooked a few pizzas and bread on it this week ( and prior).  I've found that just placing the pizza stone on the grill's grate works fine as long as you have the heat diffuser loaded as well.   At least for me on the Akorn, I don't see a need for any additional spacers

On 03/07/2017 at 9:44 PM, In2Fish said:

I have an Akorn as well, and i've cooked a few pizzas and bread on it this week ( and prior).  I've found that just placing the pizza stone on the grill's grate works fine as long as you have the heat diffuser loaded as well.   At least for me on the Akorn, I don't see a need for any additional spacers

This! I use the diffuser on the Akorn and just place the pizza stone on the grill.

I'm no expert on cooking pizzas in my Akorn, but the one lesson indelibly impressed on me is to get everything up to temp.  Your pic with that pile of brick/stones looks like about 4 hours to get the whole thing up to 500 degrees.  With that setup, if I wanted to eat at 7:00, I'd start around 1:00.