Sign in to follow this  
mtndan

First pizza cook - help wanted

So I have a question. Why use the deflector stone PLUS another stone on the top grate? Couldn't you just use the deflector stone directly on the top grate as the pizza stone? Just asking. I've never done a pizza on the akorn before. BUT, I want to!

39 minutes ago, puddin' said:

So I have a question. Why use the deflector stone PLUS another stone on the top grate? Couldn't you just use the deflector stone directly on the top grate as the pizza stone? Just asking. I've never done a pizza on the akorn before. BUT, I want to!

The deflector is exposed directly to the hot coals.  With the grate to create an air gap and then your stone you'll get a more even temp.  You could cook directly on the deflector for hot/fast pie cook.  You just risk burning the bottom more easily.

You need to block the pizza stone from "seeing" the fire. 

When moving heat, the options are radiation, convection, and conduction. Conduction requires contact, so it's out. Radiation requires "line of sight" to work, while Convection comes from circulation of air, allowing it to go "around corners." 

Nearly everything gets air flow so it comes up to air temperature, including the thermometer. Only things that have a line of sight to the fire get radiation as well, and they can get far hotter than the air. If your pizza stone sees the fire, it could be 900F when your dome is reading 500F. Leave it in the deflector location, like I did, and it's a very quick disaster. But you can get a great sear by putting a cooking grate at that level!

This is also true of the dome thermometer; I always rotate the fire box of an Akorn to put a leg of the deflector toward the latch to protect the thermometer from radiant heat. 

Have fun,

Frank