Sign in to follow this  
Jabo

Multiple cooks

I will be putting two butts on my Vision Pro S around 9 tonight. Tomorrow morning when I take them off. I need to set up to cook some racks of pork loin back ribs. I've never done two cooks that require as much time before. So my question regards adding more lump to last for the rib cook. Is is just after taking off the butts adding more lump to the existing coals and stabilizing the temp again, or is there more to it?

I have family coming over around 3 in the afternoon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Jabo   If you need to add lump, after you pull the butts would be the time to add more lump.  I'm assuming you will be cooking at about the same temps for each cook.

Ideally, you want to ensure your firebowl is maxed out (always run w/ a full load of lump when you start a cook)  I expect you will be surprised by how much lump you have remaining after the butts are pulled and dont need to add any more.  Play it safe and check your lump once you pull your butts, if you need to add, add then. it's much easier than pulling your ribs to add more lump.

@Jabo - there is no way you will realistically need to add lump after you have pulled your butts if you have loaded your Vision to the gills when you first lit the lump.  Your Vision should be more than able to go at least 30 hours on a single full load at 225°F.  I'm assuming that's your cook tep since you're talking aout a 12-14 hour butt cook.  So if you're doing a 12-14 hour butt cook and then ribs for 6 hours, that's a total of 20 hours and that's well within the time a full load of lump should last.  I've run my BGEs and Primo XLs 24+ hours at 225° without problem.  Just load up that Vision with lump and relax.  You and your Vision will do just fine.  You may wish to add more smoking wood when you put on the ribs, but that's a different (and simple) matter altogether.  if you feel so inclined, you can add more lump then, but I don't think you'll need to do so.  You'll be really surprised at how efficient your Vision is at using fuel.

On another note, if you have family coming over at 3:00 and you're going to eat around that time, you'll need to have your ribs on the grate around 9:00 AM so that they can cook and then rest for an hour or so. 

Enjoy your Que and have a great family get together.

Thank you for your reply that's what I was thinking but sure did not want the fire to diminish halfway through the rib cook. I do plan on putting on the ribs around 9:00. But it's all family if we don't eat until 4. I am well stocked with beer. Thanks agsin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk