Temp Control with the Kick Ash Basket

BennyB

Hi guys, does anyone have dramas with their temp control while using a Kick Ash Basket in their Pit Boss Kamados? I recently got one and since then i've been struggling to keep the temp below 300f. The picture here is the bottom vent when the Pit Boss is at 300f, I can barely shut it any further. I don't have any leaks through the gasket or top air vent so I don't think much air could be getting in there (I leave the bottom plate in too), and I don't have any dramas closing it all off to starve the charcoal. I light with a single fire lighter in the centre and #### down the vents about 50-100f before the target temp. Any ideas on what I can do to get it under control? Cheers in advance.

2017-07-02 13.05.44.jpg

Not so far, but I've been cooking at 275/300 with it installed.

What fuel are you using and how much?

Where are you setting the top vent?

I run with mine at 1/2 of the "1"  or perhaps a little less to run 250 or lower.

FWIW, Kickash says to lite the fire over the intake opening area and let it burn across the lump rather than in the middle-out fire method.

Are you using the stock fire grate too or running without it?

When I ran with the stock grate it started to clog and enough on a long cook to reduce the air intake somewhat.

Who knows, if nothing else works maybe you need the stock grate to reduce airflow?

I've got a KAB and can hold a low temp. I have a Vision Classic B which has a bottom vent identical to yours. I often close it further than shown in your photo, usually so only half the column of holes is open, and I keep the top vent open just a sliver. Keep playing around with it, you'll figure it out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, John Setzler said:

Here is a fact to consider:

The kick ash basket does not alter your kamado's ability to hold steady at any particular temperature.

This should open a good discussion...

But @John Setzler - as absolutely EVERYONE KNOWS (and has told me many times in many ways) the KAB increases airflow through their kamados.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but more airflow (actually O2) equates to more combustion which produces more heat which results in higher temps.  

I'm just quoting the received wisdom that is proffered by so many KAB users here.

How's that for helping the discussion along?  :-D

23 minutes ago, CeramicChef said:

But @John Setzler - as absolutely EVERYONE KNOWS (and has told me many times in many ways) the KAB increases airflow through their kamados.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but more airflow (actually O2) equates to more combustion which produces more heat which results in higher temps.  

I'm just quoting the received wisdom that is proffered by so many KAB users here.

How's that for helping the discussion along?  :-D

Well, this is the mainline thought for sure.  The problem is that the KAB does not change the size of the air intake or exhaust vent on the grill.  Therefore the volume of the air through the grill is not changed by the KAB.  

@John Setzler - and the volume of air through the lump pile has not changed one iota!  Correct you are.  Nice going, John.

Now can we all agree that the KAB does nothing to increase airflow in a kamado?

The only reason one gets an increase in airflow using a KAB is if you remove the fire grate at the very bottom of the kamado or you get a high flow rate fire grate.  The only thing a KAB does is make it easier to get rid of residual ash on charcoal before you add more lump.  That's it.  Period. 

KAB can not and will not change airflow UNTIL you compare it to a fire that's been burning long enough for the OEM fire grate to start to clog up, then the KAB flows way more air.

I know this because I've experienced having to open the inlet vent toward the end of a long cook in order to maintain the temp I wanted due to the OEM grate's holes becoming somewhat restricted by ash, which  I discovered during clean up after the burn.

31 minutes ago, Chasdev said:

KAB can not and will not change airflow UNTIL you compare it to a fire that's been burning long enough for the OEM fire grate to start to clog up, then the KAB flows way more air.

I know this because I've experienced having to open the inlet vent toward the end of a long cook in order to maintain the temp I wanted due to the OEM grate's holes becoming somewhat restricted by ash, which  I discovered during clean up after the burn.

@Chasdev - KAB in and of itself doesn't change air flow one little bit.  It's you opening the bottom vent more at the end of a long cook that changes the airflow. So you properly state in your first paragraph.

Then in the second paragraph you contradict yourself and eviscerate your post logic.   You state YOU (not the KAB) have to open the inlet vent in order to maintain temp at the end of a long cook.   It's you opening the lower vent and increasing airflow through that vent that does increase flow, NOT the KAB that increases the airflow.  If the KAB increased airflow you wouldn't need to open the bottom vent to maintain temps at the end of a long cook.

You simply can't have it both ways.  That logic in your post doesn't work in the slightest.  And yes, I've cooked with a KAB on friends' kamados and they all agree that the KAB does nothing but make cleanup easier. 

If you can show me any technical data/paper or fluid flow theory that demonstrates me to be wrong, I'll gladly admit my error.  Until that happens, we will have to respectfully agree to disagree.  Be well and have a safe and happy Fourth of July!

I'm sorry I did not craft that paragraph in a way that would allow you to understand what I was saying.

let me try again.

With ONLY the OEM fire grate installed I experienced the need to open the inlet vent wider than during the first 2/3 of the cook.

Later when I cleaned out the bowl, I found that the OEM firegrate had experienced some clogging of the holes which reduced the airflow to the coals which I believe is why I had to open the inlet gate further to maintain my temps.

Using ONLY the KAB this did not happen during a long cook, the inlet opening stayed the same from beginning to end.

Glad to clear this up with you.