Temp Control with the Kick Ash Basket

BennyB

1 hour ago, michaelt said:

I suspect, given time, the max temp would stabilize to be equal. As far temperature acceleration goes, I think most people are interested in what the results would be with just plain lighting (cube, starter, cotton ball) and open vents, no forced air. I assume that is how most people here light up their kamado.

I agree, but I can't really help with that data because I have only graphed the startup time when using the controller since it serves as both the monitor/grapher and the controller/fan. I also pretty much only use propane torches to light, so my results will not be the same as cotton ball or starter cube users.  

15 minutes ago, Chasdev said:

Oh no, now they will come out with a "sear basket" too!

I do the opposite.  Leave the charcoal where it is and lower the grate.  I use the Spider and a Weber charcoal grate to sear right over the coals, often with less than a 1" gap.  

Wow. So much to digest. I feel I have read from apparent engineers and practical application types.

So I am converting from an Akorn to 2017 KJII. Temp control is indeed a different "animal" on the K J.

I have a KAB on the way-for what It does, get ash out. And it started to rain during my temp control self discoveries and that has not even been dissected relative to holding a temp-threw that in to perk things up. Fogot to mention the OAT is 90*F. Beer is @ 40*F.

Thanks for the insights. With everything said I think I have some ways to get the temp. I want.

Cheers. You all are great. Thanks!

M.

30 minutes ago, mike echo said:

Wow. So much to digest. I feel I have read from apparent engineers and practical application types.

So I am converting from an Akorn to 2017 KJII. Temp control is indeed a different "animal" on the K J.

I have a KAB on the way-for what It does, get ash out. And it started to rain during my temp control self discoveries and that has not even been dissected relative to holding a temp-threw that in to perk things up. Fogot to mention the OAT is 90*F. Beer is @ 40*F.

Thanks for the insights. With everything said I think I have some ways to get the temp. I want.

Cheers. You all are great. Thanks!

M.

Getting the ash out is definitely the primary function and it IS the reason i recommend it.  My recommendation and use has nothing to donwith temp control.  I had ZERO issues with temp control prior to owning the KAB.

Agreed. The reason I use the KAB is for getting ash to fall out of the way and for easier cleaning without having to burn up all of the charcoal at the end of a cook.  Just lift out any remaining coals and clean from above.  Replace and start cooking again. I don't feel the KAB has had any other benefits. 

19 hours ago, SmallBBQr said:

My experience with my KAB is there is little to no difference in either starting or burning, UNTIL smaller pieces/ash etc started blocking holes.  I find it maintains airflow under more circumstances/variables, but doesn't improve anything if good airflow already is present.

I also love it for cleaning out the small stuff....

I also love it for RAISED charcoal cooking.  I remove the KAB and place it on TOP of the x-rack and it brings the coals up about 1" below the grate.  Makes for great searing.

The KAB on the x-rack or hanging in the bottom ring of the D&C frame is an awesome set up. You can get really hot temps with out needing a massive fire. Sometimes I even use the divider and do a half fire.

You may be where I got the idea from. It is a great lump saver and works awesome.