Bringing back the classics

On deck for dinner tonight were spiral cut hotdogs/bratwurst in pretzel buns.  

First, whipped up a batch of pretzel buns.  These are just awesome.  My wife and kids eat them plain.

rolls.thumb.JPG.f723b5199a3056a029430ae1d692e6b0.JPG

Next were some spiral cut hotdogs and bratwurst.  If you haven't spiral cut them before, you should try it.  They take on a much better texture because the insides get a little crunchy. Also, the spirals provide places for the toppings to lock into.  My wife used chili, while I was just cheese and ketchup.

On the grill...

grill.thumb.JPG.8b369a0876c949d6d276adb8913957b9.JPG

My plating stinks, but you get the idea.  For those that are curious, I made the beer too.  

plate.thumb.JPG.b95acb3ebeafcecad89273d3b37d0c56.JPG

I'd like to see your recipe for the pretzel buns if you would share it. I made Bavarian pretzels to go with my Oktoberfest beer last year and both turned out great. Looks like I could kick up my game a notch with those buns for the brats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, SevenOaks said:

I'd like to see your recipe for the pretzel buns if you would share it. I made Bavarian pretzels to go with my Oktoberfest beer last year and both turned out great. Looks like I could kick up my game a notch with those buns for the brats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The pretzel bun recipe is yet another thing that I have stolen from John on the KJ channel.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dPZKSDrpdw

The recipe is for hamburger buns.  Just roll them into a fat log instead of a disc and now you have hot dog buns.

Spiral cutting is easy.  Just put a wooden skewer through the center of the hot dog.  The easiest way is with the dog on the counter and pushing the skewer.  I found that if I held the dog, I missed the center and came out the side.  Then put the knife on an angle and roll the hot dog.  Be sure to keep your knife straight up and down.  If it is on an angle, things come weird fast.  One the dog is cut, pull out the skewer.