Team PCBeach

New KJ Control Top - Does it need cleaning?

Went to use my KJ this weekend after my previous cook which was a 19 hour brisket.  When I went to open the slider portion of the control top it was stuck.  Tried to push it and the entire control top rotated.  Ended up having to hold the slider top with one hand and bang on the slider with the handle of a spatula to get it to move.  Then I was able to adjust the event, but it was still very sticky.   Anyone else run into this?  Does the new control top need to be cleaned periodically?

Yes clean it. My AKORN vent used to gum up. My KJ is the same.  Deal is, any equipment needs a little TLC. Do you expect something like a car to be maintenance free? 'course not. The KJ is a great product. 

My dad from the Depression era always preached "take care of your equipment.". Sounded goofy at 14 years old, makes total sense as an adult.

Just do a high temp cleaning burn about once a week or so and after every low-n-slow cook.  That's the solution to your problem.  No big deal.  

Enjoy your KJ and cook on!

You always are spot on w advice for us new guys. Thanks so much!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk