Sign in to follow this  
Dub

Ugly omelette

One of these days I'll learn how to make decent looking omelettes.....today is probably not that day.....unless you folks can coach me up.

Maybe the pan I used is too small and the eggs are too "deep" when poured in over the dice onions that are already cooking in there.

Wife's plate....

drr4dkO.jpg?1

Mine:

no348sw.jpg?1

Hit it hard with this sauce:

oH8TDsn.jpg?1

Monday is off to a good start thanks to strong coffee and this fuel.

I have found over the years that a slopped pan helps but is not a requirement. I have used a slopped pan and a pure flat top. Either work fine. The one kind of pan that never works for me is a pan that has a straight lip and the egg mixture gets close to or touched the lip. Maybe an expert chef could make it work but I never can so I use a slopped or griddle top for mine.

I don't flip till the bottom is fairly firm on the half that I'm going to flip. Then I gently run the spatula around and under the edge of the half I'm gonna flip. I then place the spatula under the 1 half and raise it and let it flop on the other half. At that time I hold the spatula on top of the now completed omelette to let it set. I know it's not the way an expert chef does it. Then again I can create an acceptable looking omelette now and the chefs have learned it after making 1,000s of omelletes. If you're lucky like I am, your family, or those you're serving care less about how it looks and more about how it tastes. In that realm I score at 9+ so I'm happy.

Thanks to you both.

I'm lucky in that my family will jump on just about any eggs I make as long as they aren't too salty or two geeked up with weird stuff....like various rubs and such.

I located the "big" pan with a gradual sloped side and I'm gonna try again in the morning.

I beat some milk into the eggs while the skillet is heating over medium heat, butter the pan, then pour the eggs in. Let them set up some, pop any bubbles that from then I'll pick the pan up off the heat and rotate it a little so the runny egg runs up the side a bit and cooks when it hits the hot side. Then I'll add my fillings ( usually grated cheese, ham, and pico ) and fold it over. Cook time is less than five minutes. Coconut oil works wonders for omelettes, just make sure it's the neutral flavored refined stuff. 

47 minutes ago, Mr Cue said:

I beat some milk into the eggs while the skillet is heating over medium heat, butter the pan, then pour the eggs in. Let them set up some, pop any bubbles that from then I'll pick the pan up off the heat and rotate it a little so the runny egg runs up the side a bit and cooks when it hits the hot side. Then I'll add my fillings ( usually grated cheese, ham, and pico ) and fold it over. Cook time is less than five minutes. Coconut oil works wonders for omelettes, just make sure it's the neutral flavored refined stuff. 

Pico.........ah yes......that and a few shroom slices and it's a home run next time.

Thanks.

More ugly eggs this morning....didn't fool with making them look good....in a hurry to get grilling stuff rolling.

Mine:

ywwQgmU.jpg?1

Wife's:

3TNQMRj.jpg?1

Little Guy's:

Ate three of these and then was asking when lunch would be ready.........bottomless pit.

6P2KCSV.jpg?1

1 hour ago, Dub said:

More ugly eggs this morning....didn't fool with making them look good....in a hurry to get grilling stuff rolling.

So I was laying in bed this morning reading through the posts and read yours. You inspired me to get up and cook and omelette for myself! It was delicious, bacon, green pepper & cheese (basically what I had on hand). Thanks!

DSC02075.JPG.502f5c9aee754012ea5cc2b0964fa3da.JPG

Great looking results @Tarheel   

Dean Smith, himself, would be proud of that one !!!

Thinking about what I currently have on hand for tomorrow's breakfast.....sweet peppers, Vidalia onion, different cheeses and bacon.  I think I'll give it another go in the morning.....after a pot of strong coffee.

Well.....gave it another shot this morning.

Not there yet but getting dialed in.  Only thing needed now is being a bit more patient before I load it down with stuff and let it cook a bit longer.

Stuff I had on hand...

3P0rSWy.jpg

Tunes.

oSMMVSM.png?1

Let this stuff ride a while in the pan first....took it off before it softened up and put it back on the eggs later.

rUtq5uk.jpg?1

Should have let the eggs cook just a bit more first.

Toppings on too soon.

Pqiuslj.jpg?1

Split it with my wife.  4 eggs is the perfect number for us.

hSsn3Se.jpg?1

Getting there.

I'll nail it next time.

4 eggs with a small amount of water all whipped up with a fork was the base.  All this time I've been trying using milk and winding up with scrambled eggs, lol.   Water worked perfectly.

Old dog....learning new tricks.  

Thanks for coaching me up !!!!!!

1 hour ago, TKOBBQ said:

@Dub I use 1 Tbs of water per egg, put 1 tsp of butter and one tsp of oil in the pan when the sizzling stops it's time to put your eggs in.

Will give that a go next time.

Thanks.