Sign in to follow this  
bcbz71

Ribs low and slow...help!

CeramicChef, you may be quite knowledgeable to some folks, but you come across as a big ol' azz, so you lost me at Hello.   Did you even bother to read my posts before you went professorial on me?  Are you bored and like to type the same thing over and over again?  Don't bother responding to my posts again...I prefer to converse with normal people.

My question, quite simply was did I keep my temps too low.  You answered that in your #1 response...Yes, I kept my temps too long.  I shall bump them up on my next rib attempt. 

NE_Akorn:

I didn't flip them because I thought you always keep the bone side down, but I did adjust them on the grill as I found the openings in the diffuser stone tend to create warm spots that can cause uneven cooking.  Looks like you went 5.5 hours for your baby backs at 240...is that correct?

Dearest @bcbz71 - thanks so much for your friendly reply to the efforts I expended to assist you.  The reason I replied as I did is that your postings led me to believe that while you may have truly believed that you knew what you were doing, you didn't, and probably still don't.  And yes, as a matter of fact, I read closely your tacit admissions that you didn't know what you were doing, IMHO.  I wish you well in trying to learn your kamado and how to cook on it.  All the best to you and best of luck with your future cooks.  I won't bother you in the future.

I did ribs today on my Akorn jr.  A single rack of St. Louis cut about 2/3 and 1/3 so they would fit.  2 1/2 hours at 250-260, wrapped for another 1 1/2 hours and then glazed for 30 minutes.  4 1/2 hours.  Came out perfect.

CeramicChef:  Thanks for all the information you provide here.  .  I have used your advice about closing top and bottom halfway with each increase in 25 degrees and it has worked well.  I have taken notes on my temp settings.  I have had less success going directly to those vent settings without the increments.

As a followup, I tried a rack of ribs again today.     I trimmed them and put the rack on whole, bone side down when I got to 250.     I let 'er stabilize until I was around 275 and she held it pretty good for about 3 hours.   At 3 hours, I pulled them and they were on their way to being perfect!    I put some butter and brown sugar on them, foiled them and am going to let them cook another 2 hours at 250. 

When the ribs are done, my first spatched chicken goes on....should be interesting!   Plan to cook the bird at 350 for 2 hrs.

I've never understood the 3-2-1 method, in my experience way too long to cook ribs.  My method which turns out fantastic tender ribs (but not falling off the bone) is:

1. Smoke for about 2 hours at 225-250
  2. Wrap and cook for another 45 minutes
  3. Unwrap, sauce, and finish.  Time varies but I finish mine over high heat so 15-20 minutes

There are a lot of ways to cook ribs there is no right and wrong way as long as they turn out like you want them ;)

Ribs were 2hrs at 275.  Removed, butter/brown sugar, wrapped and put back on for an hour.  They were perfect and fall off the bone.   I'm spiking the ball on that rack.

Spatch'd chicken hit 165 internal breast in about 90 minutes at 350 QT.  I also checked the leg/thigh joint and they were showing same temp.     Chicken was so juicy.   Seemed done all the way through, but I could have gone the whole 2 hours and not hurt anything and achieved more of the texture I like with the meat (moist but not dripping).     I give the spatch'd chicken at solid A- and will definitely do that again.

Also some pics of hitting 650 degs in a burn off!IMG_4983.thumb.JPG.470b409c068d2dfda6af17e074b6bcb9.JPGIMG_4982.thumb.JPG.22e9448104ea825577d3d0c8417738be.JPGIMG_4980.thumb.JPG.1f79aef30f6c0cf220142db3dc1b27da.JPGIMG_4979.thumb.JPG.01ebc2468c29d1320bac4c54f162fc7f.JPG