Some Recent Cooks On The Junior...

10 hours ago, O C said:

Thanks for the advice. I may try the potato technique tomorrow, sweet potatoes for some but Idahos for the others.

Wife has given me her blessing on a jr (she's already decided its a grill of some kind for my BD in August, and then I need to take her camping!), and given my satisfaction with the Akorn, its hard to look past the Akorn Jr.

Sure.  Watch out with sweet potatoes and butternut squash etc.  I am not sure why (higher sugar content maybe) but they seem to look burnt when I cook them.  They are still super tasty, but get dark quickly. 

9 hours ago, BSA said:

I have to agree with you.  I got my Kamado Jr this winter.  I don't think I have used my other grill since.  I was just talking to the Kamado joe rep today at Costco in Gig Harbor Washington.  He also has a Jr and it is the only grill he uses.  They had an open bag of the big lump there.  I can't imagine using it in a Jr. Unless you broke it up.  

It took me a while to get used to everything this little grill can do, but I am liking it.  When I find a big chunk in the RO bag, I normally break it up. :)

3 hours ago, ckreef said:

You won't ever hear me say that. 19" KK, 16" KK, and Akorn Jr. For me and Mrs skreef bigger is definitely not better especially when crunched for time after work. 

Strangely enough when those bigger is better people finally break down and get a Jr sized kamado a large percentage of them start using the Jr way more than they ever thought they would. 

To be honest, when I bought the Jr, I got it as it was a floor model when this vendor was closing up shop.  I didn't think I would use it as much as I do now, but I couldn't pass it up for the price I paid for it.  For 3 people with sides done on the grill, it is a little tight, but for 1 or 2 people or the sides done inside, it is a fine performer.  I have no plans of getting rid of my larger grill, but I am thinking about downsizing and won't have the acre plus out back anymore.  Space will be at a premium and I want to maximize my space and get the most out of what I have.  I think the junior will work for me. 

2 hours ago, CeramicChef said:

@Panchango - beautiful cooks.  You're certainly getting the most out of that little cooker.  Very nicely done.  Kudos!

Thanks CC.   I always appreciate your input.

43 minutes ago, KismetKamado said:

@Panchango - Always been a fan of your posts. All the Jr. cooks look awesome!  

Thank you KK.  I appreciate it.

34 minutes ago, BhamBruni said:

Love my Joe Junior...gotta watch the little sucker or he can get away from you (temp wise) in the blink or an eye ! I think I am at 90% of my cooks using JR. Big Joe has gotten jealous.

That happened to me with that thick porterhouse above.  I did a reverse sear then opened it up for the final sear.  I turned around and it was pushing 750F giving me a bit more char than I wanted.  It is amazing how much you can do on the little guy.

15 minutes ago, Dub said:

Outstanding looking pics.

You have been rocking that Jr.

I have mine loaded down right now, too. Handy little grills.

Thanks Dub.

Mouthwatering pics as usual.  Those roasted potatoes look fantastic.  I did John's hasselback recipe last and they turned out great.  Bought a $10 hasselback slicer at Menards that made things a lot easier. 

I also agree about Akorn Jr. being a much better travel option.  Much lighter and you can do anything on them.

Happy 4th all!

31 minutes ago, Kabe said:

Mouthwatering pics as usual.  Those roasted potatoes look fantastic.  I did John's hasselback recipe last and they turned out great.  Bought a $10 hasselback slicer at Menards that made things a lot easier. 

I also agree about Akorn Jr. being a much better travel option.  Much lighter and you can do anything on them.

Happy 4th all!

I finally broke down and bought a hassle back slicer a little while ago. Does make it easier. 

On ‎2017‎/‎07‎/‎04 at 6:25 AM, ckreef said:

You won't ever hear me say that. 19" KK, 16" KK, and Akorn Jr. For me and Mrs skreef bigger is definitely not better especially when crunched for time after work. 

Strangely enough when those bigger is better people finally break down and get a Jr sized kamado a large percentage of them start using the Jr way more than they ever thought they would. 

I've got a Big Joe and am beginning to think that a Joe Junior might suit me better for most cooks (it's just two of us now)... yeah, it doesn't take long for "the addiction" and the toy collecting to start :-D. Do you find that the Joe Junior's quicker to get up to temp, given there's less lump to heat and a smaller internal area? I also assume that your lump consumption goes WAY down, which is one of the things motivating me to think about going small. The other thing I'm wondering about is the top vent... I imagine you can't cook when it rains, given that the daisy wheel on top has to be open at least a little. What's your experience on all these things?

29 minutes ago, El_Norteno60 said:

I've got a Big Joe and am beginning to think that a Joe Junior might suit me better for most cooks (it's just two of us now)... yeah, it doesn't take long for "the addiction" and the toy collecting to start :-D. Do you find that the Joe Junior's quicker to get up to temp, given there's less lump to heat and a smaller internal area? I also assume that your lump consumption goes WAY down, which is one of the things motivating me to think about going small. The other thing I'm wondering about is the top vent... I imagine you can't cook when it rains, given that the daisy wheel on top has to be open at least a little. What's your experience on all these things?

This is just my opinion based on my experience with a very small sample of grills (1 classic and 1 junior)....

I never had a problem getting the classic up to temp quickly, nor do I have the issue with the junior.  If going slowly as if doing a low and slow for smoking something, the classic seems to get to temp quicker for me.  For grilling and roasting temps, the junior gets is definitely quicker than the classic.  The Junior is stingy with its charcoal consumption.  In the past I would do a cook on the classic, then I could do 5 or 6 subsequent cooks using the remnants of the charcoal from the classic.  After the 3rd or 4th cook with the same charcoal, the charcoal bits get small and it doesn't breathe as well.  I would clean it out and get some more from the classic.  I have been thinking about a kick ash basket or the high que grate to improve airflow on the junior but it hasnt bothered me enough to spend the money.  I never had much issue with the rain unless it is an absolute downpour and at that point, I will cook inside.  For 1 or 2 people, the junior is a fantastic cooker and has not left me wanting at all.  I don't do a lot of ribs or larger cooks, but would just use the classic if wanted.

Hope this helps.

I completely agree with what Panchango just said. I also have a Jr and classic. I feel the Jr heats up faster even tho I have kab in the classic. Just pull the trigger on the Jr you will be glad you did. Now if only they made a full surface soapstone for the jr. I would probably only use the classic for low and slow, wings, and rotisserie cooks. 

On 7/12/2017 at 0:25 PM, Smokey1 said:

Didn't even know that was a thing.  Off to find one now...

Edit - Do you have one you recommend?

This is what bought. You can find them on Amazon as well.

https://www.menards.com/main/outdoors/grills-outdoor-cooking/grilling-tools/hasselback-potato-slicing-rack/p-1471978258132-c-1461078035988.htm?tid=4532345699745604809&ipos=1

You guys are all a bad influence...:) Got myself a decent deal on a Joe Junior yesterday and did a hickory smoked spatchy on it tonight. I've actually been trying to get a crisper skin on it with the kamado, but until tonight, I hadn't found the solution. I've been smoking at 275F for about an hour and a half and getting the juiciest, most delicious results of my life, but my wife likes her chicken better done, and I was losing the kamado cooking argument because of that. Tonight, I smoked it for about 45 minutes at 350F, then gave it a 15-minute blast at 400F to finish it off. It obviously wasn't as juicy, but it was every bit as flavourful, and I proved that I could kamado cook a chicken that we would both love. We both agree that the Joe Junior is likely to see a lot more use than the Big Joe, with just the two of us most nights. Thanks for your advice, folks!

1 hour ago, El_Norteno60 said:

You guys are all a bad influence...:) Got myself a decent deal on a Joe Junior yesterday and did a hickory smoked spatchy on it tonight. I've actually been trying to get a crisper skin on it with the kamado, but until tonight, I hadn't found the solution. I've been smoking at 275F for about an hour and a half and getting the juiciest, most delicious results of my life, but my wife likes her chicken better done, and I was losing the kamado cooking argument because of that. Tonight, I smoked it for about 45 minutes at 350F, then gave it a 15-minute blast at 400F to finish it off. It obviously wasn't as juicy, but it was every bit as flavourful, and I proved that I could kamado cook a chicken that we would both love. We both agree that the Joe Junior is likely to see a lot more use than the Big Joe, with just the two of us most nights. Thanks for your advice, folks!

Very nice work on the chicken.  With skin on, I normally cook raised indirect wherever it settles between 375 and 400.  I start out skin side down for about 20 minutes, then flip it to finish.  I have been pretty happy with the results.  Have fun with it.