Fired up the KJ, and naturally forgot to take pics of the innards.  Basically had the heat deflector on the top grill with 5cm ceramic spacers between that & the pizza stone.  Ran it up to 270C (bit over 500F for you furriners) for about 45 mins.  BTW, I light my starters with a real torch, not those creme brulee princess toys ;) 

20170702_174046small.thumb.jpg.9f238cf9014edf6b426e22e1b0c5b5c5.jpg

Measured the stone temp through the top vent with my trusty laser thermometer

20170702_174157small.thumb.jpg.af82f5d5ca5de5cadb5b5c9f1f3550da.jpg

Overkilled on the lubrication - flour on the peel and paper for the pizza.  Going with a basic margarita to start with.

20170702_174401small.thumb.jpg.9173b3c06b5263665deae44e5c21b624.jpg

Thanks to the above, pizza was deployed with no probs.  Snapped a wobbly shot as I was closing the lid

20170702_180237small.thumb.jpg.4bbb860fda13ff203ba6d14a186e70c3.jpg

After about 10 mins, the following emerged

20170702_181653small.thumb.jpg.5433b7631d062b8a4b0a46d6279b0300.jpg

Crust was nice, maybe a bit overcooked.

20170702_181829small.thumb.jpg.96faea9c9d8b34bb8864c0de540617be.jpg

Will probably get the stone hotter next time, run the internal temp up closer to the 300C - 320C and see how that goes.

35 minutes ago, CeramicChef said:

Nice looking pie.  Kudos to ya.  

Why use starters when you have a "... real torch ..."?

Thx - the pizza was good!!!

I do warm up the charcoal with my overcompensating torch while i'm waiting for the starters to catch - don't feel like standing there for 20 mins while it catches though.

I used to use that torch to sear the outside of sous vided steaks on the gas bbq.  Now those days look like they're over so I've got to re-purpose the torch.  Here's a pic of what it would do to a steak:

20170420_185648small.thumb.jpg.18b0412071720a212d3c7387f90a7a4d.jpg

On 2017-7-4 at 7:14 PM, CeramicChef said:

Why use starters when You have a "... real torch ..."?

On 2017-7-4 at 7:40 PM, ckreef said:

That's what I was thinking. Seems a little redundant. 

Well turns out you two geniuses were right!!!!!

Lit the charcoal last night using the torch - waaaay quicker and a lot more satisfying than using the lighters.  Thanks for the tip. :) 

On 7/4/2017 at 9:18 AM, CeramicChef said:

My Benzomatic torch takes all of 30 seconds and a canister of Propane/MAPP lasts about 15-18 months.  It's the only way to fly. 

the benzomatic torch does work well.  When i was up on near Cape Cod, I was using my Dad's benzomatic torch which worked great,

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Daz
      Have been busy with my other toy projects so the pellet Akorn has been cold for a while. Today kids want to eat pizza so I fired up the pellets akorn. It heats up to 500+ degrees in less than 10 min and the pizza was perfect. I fitted a WiFi PID controller and was going to tweak the algorithm but...too many projects! 
      Right now the temperature overshoots 50-80 degrees if set below 300 degrees, but gets better as it goes higher. 
      Anyway here is the pizza and the good looking grill haha.

• By GrillDawg
      Decided to fire up the KJ for my first pizza cook last night. We had a bad stretch of storms come through and were under a tornado watch...but I was hungry so we made it happen

Made my own crust using John's recipe. Toppings consisted of sausage, banana peppers, spinach and a honey drizzle once I took it off the grill. Decided to label this one "Sweet Heat."

Had some trouble getting the KJ up to 900 but seemed to work fine at 750.

Overall, it was really good. Can't wait for our next pizza night!

• By DerHusker
      On New Year’s Eve we had our friends over for dinner.  They were getting up early to go to the Rose Parade so the evening ended early but we still had a great time.

I made 2 pizzas. The first was a Hawaiian Pizza with red onion, black olives, Canadian bacon and pineapple.

The second was a Meat Lover’s Pizza with red onion, black olives, peperoni and Italian sausage.

Both were delicious but I have to say the Meat Lovers was my favorite.

Thanks for looking.

• By gander2112
      I got a bonus at work (a lot more than I expected, woot!) and I ordered me a Baking Steel. It is about 1/4" thick plate steel, and it is supposed to be great for making pizza. Tonight I put it to the test.

Grill: Kamado Joe Classic III
      Charcoal: Lazzari Fuel Lump Mesquite (I used to use this when I was a professional chef, cooks clean and HOT)
      Dough: Ken Forbish's Overnight Pizza, from Flour, Water, Salt and Yeast.
      Sauce: fresh Maranzano tomatoes, some EVOO, with salt, pepper, and some basil and oregano.

Topping - Pizza 1: Whole Milk Mozz, Sausage and Pepperoni
      Topping  - Pizza 2: Buffalo Mozz, Proscuitto

Cook temp 650F

The first pizza burnt a bit on the bottom. The steel cooks hotter than a pizza stone, so I am chastised. As a pro, I used to cook in a pizza oven at 625, but it was a standard pizza oven with a refractory brick baking surface. Not ruined, but not perfect.

The second pizza was perfect. After a minute or two on the grill, I added a pizza pan under it to prevent the heat of the steel burning the bottom.

Both pizza's: The crust was chewy, with great open crumb. Cheese melty and delicious, and awesome.

Dinner: Success. 

• By DerHusker
      I’ve made this pizza at least 10 times as it is my favorite. This morning I made up some pizza dough.

Around 3:00 I prepped my kamado for pizza and lite it up to preheat. Around 3:30 I brought out my dough and all my ingredients.

I applied a thin layer of BBQ sauce and some red onion.

Then some red bell pepper and cilantro.

Then some chicken breast I’d mixed up with some BBQ sauce

and finally, the cheese.

Placed it on the pizza stone in the kamado for approximately 8 minutes at 400 degrees.

Here’s the result.

As always, it was delicious.

Thanks for looking