Sign in to follow this  
HarryLeg

First Shoulder cook

Hi,

My youngest son, who is home from college, requested BBQ. We're from NC so that meant a full shoulder. He's been an awesome son. I have to brag. Kept his grades up, got his Eagle Scout, and recently got accepted into Aerospace Engineering at The University of Maryland College Park after 2 years  at Salisbury University as a math major. I have read the advice about not doing your first overnight cook until you've done it in the day. Broke that rule. My wife and I are raising our twin grandchildren (older son) who are now 2.5 years old, and we're taking them to the beach this morning so the cook had to happen earlier Started at  8:30 pm.

I filled the fire box to 1 inch below the diverter (thanks Tarheel), and lit the center. In 10 mins I dropped the lid and was off. I was shooting for 250° - 300° and with my previous attempt at grill control I started  closing down my vents at 175° top to 1/32" bottom left dial closed, bottom right to 1/2) so I could sneak up on my temperature. Remember, I'm new at this and don't know my grill. At 9:40 it was holding steady at 288° at 10:00 pm I threw in the deflector racks and drip pan. I used the drip pan on the lower rack and meat on the upper. 

After closing the lid, the grill temp was 217°  and dropped to 205° by 10:50 so I adjusted vents ( top to 1 on scale and bottom left to just above 1/2). At 11:15 the grill was at 250° so I figure I'd take that and closed top down to 1/8" and bottom left to just below 1/2.  By 12:15 am it leveled out at 164°. I went to bed with grill and meat alarms set. 

At 6:09 my alarm in the butt(lower weight) went off at 195°, grill at 297°. It was probe tender so off it went to the cooler. The picnic was at 189° and had some resistance so it stayed on until 6:57 when it was ready. 

The meat currently resides in the cooler. It will get chopped (no pulling) in a few hours. The Lexington style sauce has been made since Tuesday. The red slaw was made last night while the grill was coming up to temp. I'm from Durham, NC  near the dividing line of eastern and western NC BBQ. I love them both but my wife is from Lexington so Catsup gets added to the vinegar base besides, I do prefer the red slaw with my BBQ. 

More to come later...

IMG_1444.JPG

IMG_1445.JPG

IMG_1443.JPG

Sounds like a very nice 4th with the Family. The BBQ looks great. And kudos for raising grandkids.. I have one (Bryson.. RIP) Who pass away after 45 mins of birth.. Missing him so much. Hopefully God will bless us with another one. Happy 4th and besafe

Nice cook.  And kudos on raising the G'Kids.  That's a huge responsibility to take on after raising kids.  Thanks!

Please take time to get to know your Vision kamado.  Learn your vents settings and you'll never chase temps again.  You'll just set your vents with confidence and walk away.  Cooks are much easier that way and you'll get to spend more time with the G'Kids!

Thanks for the comments! Skreef, sorry for your loss, I can't imagine the grief. My wife and I are worried for our older son and his wife who have lost a business, a home, and  children to opiates and apparently haven't seen rock bottom and may never. We pray for them every day.

CeramicChef, 

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to get some more practice. I want to nail grilling temps (300 - 450 range) as I see most of my cooks there. 

13lbs 11 oz of shoulder reduced to 7 lbs 12 oz and ready to eat!IMG_1450.thumb.JPG.b377dd6ed0a80e0cf5f4b5102b8cb204.JPG

Welcome to the Guru, lots of great people and info around here. Nice looking PP and kudos to you and your wife for taking on rasing your grandkids. I live in MD and work right around UM at College Park, is that the one he will be attending?

Great cook.  In my opinion, for what it's worth, the smartest thing you did was to sneak up on your target temp.  Smart smart move. 

It will get easier with every cook. 

Enjoy and it's refreshing to see youngsters such as yours.  Refreshing. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Logan
      So a couple of days ago I was in the store and they had picnic shoulder (pork butt with bone-in, skin on) for $0.98/lb and I thought it would be a perfect fit for the Joetisserie: low and slow would make the skin too rubbery so the higher heat should crisp it up nicely (I'd done a porchetta before and it turned out fabulously)

I followed one of John's videos for the rub idea, though he didn't give amounts. I used a mustard base and roughly about
      1/2 c salt
      1/3 c paprika
      1/3 c chili powder
      1/3 c granulated garlic
      1/3 c onion powder

And held the Joe steady at about 310 for the dome temp. To help with the acrid smoke from all the drippings I slid the bottom vent to only about a 1/4 inch open after a while and kept the top wide open. Actually used the Smobot with this one just for fun and it seemed to work pretty well at keeping the temps where I wanted. Total cook time was right at about 5 hours for a 10 lb picnic shoulder. I was shooting for about 185+ degrees F throughout. Then I let it rest tented in foil about an hour.

I don't know that it shows up very well in the pictures, but that was one of the juiciest pieces of meat I've ever had and so tender that a knife wasn't necessary. The flavor throughout was ridiculous. I'd been assuming the inner portion wouldn't get much flavor and the rub would only be on the surface but for some reason the flavor seemed to have permeated everywhere. The skin turned out very crispy.

Definitely one to do again!
    • By Mikegust90
      Gave this a whirl. Turned out great!! Please let me know what you think. Just started to smoke more frequently and have been asked to start cooking for other people.https://youtu.be/lD315UxzFpk
    • By philpom
      I've played around doing the boston butt like this a few times and it is a keeper for us.  I see no reason why I won't come back to this again and again.
      Extremely juicy Tender Great presentation Wonderful flavor Relatively quick The rub (estimation, play with it)
      4 heaping TB chili powder 2 heaping TB Cumin 1 heaping TB onion powder 1 heaping TB garlic powder 1 TB kosher salt 1 TB sugar 1 ts black pepper 3/4 ts cinnamon With the fat side up I cut a deep cross hatch in the butt, deep enough to reach meat, 3/4" or more, the hatch about 1 1/4 inch square.  Then cut an entire sweet onion in to rings and line the bottom of a foil pan with them, place the butt on top fat side up.  Using your fingers open the cross hatch up and poor 1/3 cup of lime juice down in.  Follow with 2/3 of the rub, get it down in there, it will seem like a bunch but no worries.  Poor another 1/4 cup of lime juice over the top.  Dump the rest of the rub in the pan around the butt.  Dump 1 strong citrus/piney/hoppy I.P.A in the pan, not over the butt.  Foil tightly and place in fridge overnight.
      Smoke with apple wood at 275 with no foil until you reach 165ish internal temp then remove from the kamado and foil tightly and continue to smoke until 199ish internal temp.  Rest, shred, add 1/2 of the juice from the pan in to the shredded pork and enjoy.

There you go, Indian Pale Ale Lime Butt or I.P.A.L. Butt

• By Meatlover
      Haven't smoked anything in several weeks so with mamma going out of town I decided to get cozy with my grill again.

I thawed out a Butt that I had picked up when they were on sale for $0.99/lb.   Got a wild hair idea to smoke a small brisket under it to let the pork fat keep the brisket moist.    Also got a wild hair to make up a rub with coffee in it.   Turned out great so I figured I would share.

Brisket rub:
      1 part ground black pepper
      1 part onion powder
      1 part garlic salt
      2 parts espresso ground coffee

Covered it well...  (file to large to add ???)

Placed the pork butt on the top rack over the brisket.   I have started cutting slices in my butts and shoulders when I smoke them to get more rub and smoke into the meat.  Probably can't see it but my deflector plate was covered in fat juice.

Pulled the brisket, rested it and dug into it.   The flavor was amazing...   Give this rub a try!

Had to take a few samples...

My grill was so satisfied, she left me a wet spot on the patio...

On another note...
      While I was at Publix picking up a brisket, I saw a pork belly roll (had never seen) so I picked up one of those along with some beef ribs to do the same thing; pork belly over the beef ribs.    Ate those last night and they were delicious.

While I was chowing on the ribs I put the pork belly on the Joetisserie to crackle it up a little bit.  Skin turned out very good but I should have smoked the belly longer to render more of the fat out.

About to pull the butt off to let it rest and then pull it before the football game tonight.    

Thanks for looking and have a great rest of your weekend!