Pop52

Not in a good mood here either

Got up this morning at 5:00 to start my fire and smoke a brisket. Put brisket on at 200 degrees, closed lid and fixed me a cup of coffee. Temp went right on past 225 and settled on 300. I could not get it down and killed my fire trying. Okay, fire going again so here's hoping. Still gonna be a good day! Happy 4th to everybody!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like my last cook.  Started the KJ for what turned out to be a 19 hour Brisket cook. As you can see on the link, even with the Flameboss fan running  at 100%, my fire still dropped to 84 deg before I went out and lit another starter.  As best I figured out I accidentally closed the top vent when adjusting for the Flameboss.  On the KJ with the new gasket and control top, there really is no airflow when you close things down.  Other than an hour delay getting things going, it turned out OK.   

300 is not a deal breaker, there's some famous guys who only cook briskets "hot and fast" and their food does not prove them wrong.

One key point when doing hot and fast is to hold the meat at 190 after pulling, the longer the better..this tenderizes the brisket to sublime levels.

300 is not a deal breaker, there's some famous guys who only cook briskets "hot and fast" and their food does not prove them wrong.
One key point when doing hot and fast is to hold the meat at 190 after pulling, the longer the better..this tenderizes the brisket to sublime levels.

It is holding at 250 now. If it does creep back to 300 I'll just let it go and when I pull it I'll wrap it up, put in an ice chest, and try to hold it at 190. Thank you!

If you don't mind the smell of brisket taking over your house, you can hold in the kitchen oven too..

If you you use a bunch of added insulation in the cooler, be sure to let the meat cool down a little or can continue to cook/over cook in the cooler!

In one case when I stacked towels and newspapers under and over a tin foiled brisket in my cooler, 4 hours later it was still just under 200!

It ended up too tender and fell apart when I tried to slice it but did make for some great chili.

I've heard you can hold at 160/170/180 nearly endlessly and that a place you've heard about does pretty much that to get their meat to perfection.

If you don't mind the smell of brisket taking over your house, you can hold in the kitchen oven too..
If you you use a bunch of added insulation in the cooler, be sure to let the meat cool down a little or can continue to cook/over cook in the cooler!
In one case when I stacked towels and newspapers under and over a tin foiled brisket in my cooler, 4 hours later it was still just under 200!
It ended up too tender and fell apart when I tried to slice it but did make for some great chili.
I've heard you can hold at 160/170/180 nearly endlessly and that a place you've heard about does pretty much that to get their meat to perfection.

Good advice and I will hold it in the oven. I am new to kamado cooking and learning as I go. Thanks again!

Gurus - everything continues to cook after you pull it from the cooking grate.  It's known as thermal momentum.  That's why you pull a med rare steak at around 130 as it'll typically gain another 5 degrees or so.  There's nothing magical about a 190 oven.  It's nothing ore than a substitute for a foiled, towel wrapped, and coolered cook.  And it doesn't leave your Ouse smelling like brisket/butt etc. and driving your pets wild!  :-D

Gurus - everything continues to cook after you pull it from the cooking grate.  It's known as thermal momentum.  That's why you pull a med rare steak at around 130 as it'll typically gain another 5 degrees or so.  There's nothing magical about a 190 oven.  It's nothing ore than a substitute for a foiled, towel wrapped, and coolered cook.  And it doesn't leave your Ouse smelling like brisket/butt etc. and driving your pets wild!  :-D

I have two outside dogs and they are hanging out closet to my kamado. Brisket is smelling pretty good right now and they are thinking they will get a bite.

2 minutes ago, Pop52 said:

I have two outside dogs and they are hanging out closet to my kamado. Brisket is smelling pretty good right now and they are thinking they will get a bite.

@Pop52 - I'm a life support system for a couple of cats.  Whenever I cooler a cook one sits on top of the cooler and they other lays on the floor in front of the cooler.  They stay there until it's time to serve.  Then they move under the table.  Cats loving BBQ! Who'd a thunk it?

3 hours ago, CeramicChef said:

@Pop52 - I'm a life support system for a couple of cats.  Whenever I cooler a cook one sits on top of the cooler and they other lays on the floor in front of the cooler.  They stay there until it's time to serve.  Then they move under the table.  Cats loving BBQ! Who'd a thunk it?

I 2005 my uncle passed away and I inherited his cat. She was so ferocious we thought she might have to live in the basement. Well one day I came home with some bbq from a take out joint.  I took my eyes off the plate for a second and she swooped in, picked up a half rack of ribs and was running away with it. Fortunately I got the ribs back and shed only a little blood. I shared those ribs with her, and we.were friends for life. From then on I had to share all my meals with her, but heck, it was better having a chubby happy cat than fearing for my life.  True story.

I 2005 my uncle passed away and I inherited his cat. She was so ferocious we thought she might have to live in the basement. Well one day I came home with some bbq from a take out joint.  I took my eyes off the plate for a second and she swooped in, picked up a half rack of ribs and was running away with it. Fortunately I got the ribs back and shed only a little blood. I shared those ribs with her, and we.were friends for life. From then on I had to share all my meals with her, but heck, it was better having a chubby happy cat than fearing for my life.  True story.

Cats think the world is theirs and they just tolerate us.[emoji23]

2 hours ago, prowe said:

That's a funny story (especially the ending). I was sitting on the porch laughing out loud as I read that. 

1 hour ago, ckreef said:

That's a funny story (especially the ending). I was sitting on the porch laughing out loud as I read that. 

I suspect my uncle must have fed her human food as she was not shy a bit about reaching onto my plate if I wasn't as forthcoming with food as she wished. Every night the 2 cats would meet me at the door. I'd put down 2 plates of the same wet food.  P.G.(uncles cat) would take a few bites and get envious of Mannies (wife's cat) plate. She would then push Minnie away from the food and proceed to eat off the other plate. Minnie would look back and forth at me and my wife clearly implying she wanted us to intervene. Then Minnie would walk to the abandoned plate and start to eat. And the cycle would repeat. Then once the human food was done she would be all over me and my wife. Mostly me. My wife's cat, who we had since 2001 (she is still with us) would look on in bewilderment.