• Announcements

• John Setzler

Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 9/7/2017   05/02/2017

The rules here are simple.  You must behave like an adult.  You may not use profanity.  If 'behaving like and adult' needs specific details in your eyes, then this forum is not for you.  Failure to behave like an adult may result in your loss of access to the site.     YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).   Thanks!
    • John Setzler

Let's Take Sides Challenge!   12/06/2017

Enter your best side dish in this month's challenge!
Rob96

Costco ups price

Was at Costco yesterday and saw they bumped the price back to $599.99. They have also sold about 4 more in the last week andca half since i was there last. The Pit Boss is selling well around here. 

Still a very good deal on a Kamado when you compare the other makers pricing and what you get for the dollar.

The 2017 version comes with a deflector and an ember guard slider at the inlet vent.

I suspect that a top of the like BGE may be a better cooker than my lowly PitBoss but there's a reason I waited till now to spend on one..

MONEY!

In my area the promo price was sufficient to sell off all their remaining inventory.  I bought mine I think a day before Father's Day and my location had maybe 6-8 units I could see on the warehouse floor when I took one.  A week later all gone!!  im in Peoria IL.

3 hours ago, Rob96 said:

Was at Costco yesterday and saw they bumped the price back to $599.99. They have also sold about 4 more in the last week andca half since i was there last. The Pit Boss is selling well around here. 

Given the 4th is a HUGE weekend for grilling, I'm surprised that Costco didn't raise the price a week ago.  Prices will maintain and the close we get to mid-August, you'll begin to see prices soften as retailers at places like Costco, Sam's, Ace Hardware look to move inventory out the door.  

Here's to a safe and happy 4th!

18 minutes ago, jadocs said:

Apparently they lowered the price again.  I got one yesterday for $499 ($100 instant manufacturer rebate).

Actually the instant rebate deal is supposed to be good till 7-16. It should apply automatically at check out.

1 hour ago, robertyb said:

Actually the instant rebate deal is supposed to be good till 7-16. It should apply automatically at check out.

Yes that is correct

When I bought mine there were three on the floor in boxes. I was approached by a couple who saw me oogling over it and we got into a conversation about our Akorn Kamados and what a deal this K24 was. I bought one of them and I'm sure he did as well. Not sure if there are any left now, I'll stop by this weekend to check.

On 7/13/2017 at 0:40 PM, jadocs said:

When I bought mine there were three on the floor in boxes. I was approached by a couple who saw me oogling over it and we got into a conversation about our Akorn Kamados and what a deal this K24 was. I bought one of them and I'm sure he did as well. Not sure if there are any left now, I'll stop by this weekend to check.

Just curious how old your Akorn is/was. I just got mine in June and cooked a ton on it, and there are a few Pit Boss' left at our Costco for $399. Having a tough time figuring out what to do with the Akorn that I recently got, and if the Pit Boss is really a deal you don't want to pass up.

48 minutes ago, lastJoe said:

Just curious how old your Akorn is/was. I just got mine in June and cooked a ton on it, and there are a few Pit Boss' left at our Costco for $399. Having a tough time figuring out what to do with the Akorn that I recently got, and if the Pit Boss is really a deal you don't want to pass up.

Joe my Akorn was purchased in June as well. I cooked on that baby almost everyday. The PB is absolutely a deal you don't want to pass up. It's much more of a cooker from a material (actual ceramic - thick too...almost 300lbs!) and size perspective. Retail on an Akorn was $299 and the PB is practically being given away at $399 (they lowered the price again). You will need to ensure you don't have any air leaks at the lower and chimney vents but that is very easily corrected for free. Just run a bead of high temp rtv around the lower vent assembly and one more wrap of felt around the chimney. Dansons will send you both for free. Once done, controlling and maintaining temp is amazing. It also comes with a ceramic heat deflector for indirect cooking and a grill cover. You won't find a better value anywhere that is affordable for us common folk imo. 

9 minutes ago, jadocs said:

Joe my Akorn was purchased in June as well. I cooked on that baby almost everyday. The PB is absolutely a deal you don't want to pass up. It's much more of a cooker from a material (actual ceramic - thick too...almost 300lbs!) and size perspective. Retail on an Akorn was $299 and the PB is practically being given away at $399 (they lowered the price again). You will need to ensure you don't have any air leaks at the lower and chimney vents but that is very easily corrected for free. Just run a bead of high temp rtv around the lower vent assembly and one more wrap of felt around the chimney. Dansons will send you both for free. Once done, controlling and maintaining temp is amazing. It also comes with a ceramic heat deflector for indirect cooking and a grill cover. You won't find a better value anywhere that is affordable for us common folk imo. 

Got it! So you're in almost the exact same boat as me. Those tweaks would be no problem for me. My biggest gripe with my Akorn (don't get me wrong, great value, exactly what I wanted to try my hand at a smoker, etc) has been getting to a low temp. Once there holding it is no problem, but getting there I need to chase for a while. I think this is due to the fact that I have to put the lower vent about 1/8" open, and the top vent closed so just the little round openings at the end of the vent holes are showing (if you have an Akorn you prob know what I'm talking about). That gets me to 225-235, but it's such a fine line that getting there without over shooting, and then trying to get it back down, is a pita. I haven't done any manual sealing of my Akorn, but prob wouldn't hurt. I'm hoping with the tweaks to the PB that I would have an easier time getting the low & slow temp dialed in quicker. Have you found the same?

Joe one thing I forgot to mention. I will use my Akorn for hot and fast and PB for low and slow if used together. There has been more than one occasion when I was doing ribs on my Akorn wishing I had another one to do some wings or other things to go with it (instead of waiting for ribs to be done then the time it would take to do something else afterwards. I like to have everything done and ready to eat. 

9 minutes ago, lastJoe said:

Got it! So you're in almost the exact same boat as me. Those tweaks would be no problem for me. My biggest gripe with my Akorn (don't get me wrong, great value, exactly what I wanted to try my hand at a smoker, etc) has been getting to a low temp. Once there holding it is no problem, but getting there I need to chase for a while. I think this is due to the fact that I have to put the lower vent about 1/8" open, and the top vent closed so just the little round openings at the end of the vent holes are showing (if you have an Akorn you prob know what I'm talking about). That gets me to 225-235, but it's such a fine line that getting there without over shooting, and then trying to get it back down, is a pita. I haven't done any manual sealing of my Akorn, but prob wouldn't hurt. I'm hoping with the tweaks to the PB that I would have an easier time getting the low & slow temp dialed in quicker. Have you found the same?

Yes you will will have a much easier time (it's almost cheating in comparison) dialing and maintaining the low and slow temp once the leaks are taken care of. The trick I have found is not necessarily how much vents should be closed (although this is a part of it), but knowing when to start closing the vents during warm up based on the rate the temp is increasing. I can call it now on the PB.