FrancisK7

Any important mod for the 2017 model?

I have just acquired a brand new Pit Boss K24 from Costco this week-end for 499USD in Burlington while I was visiting (I'm from Canada). It's the 2017 model. I was wondering if there were any important mod I should make on it? This is my first Kamado, I've read the Pit Boss can have leaking issues but not sure if it applies to the 2017 model.

Last year I started saving for a Kamado Joe when I learned they'd be visiting a Costco near me but they apparently cancelled the entire roadshow in Canada and never showed up. I really wanted a Big Joe but considering the price difference I just jumped on the deal.

I intend to make ribs as my first cook on Thursday, I am so excited! 

Play with your new kamado before making any mod decisions. Kamados are somewhat individual. Just because someone else needs a mod doesn't mean you need the mod. Run a few different cooks on it then start asking questions. We'll try and steer you in the right direction.

I recently purchased a Pit Boss kamado from Costco and smoked some baby backs this weekend. I expected some trouble after reading about the need for mods. I didn't have any issues. Have some fun playing with your new toy before you tinker with it. You might be as lucky as I.

59 minutes ago, FrancisK7 said:

Is felt easily obtainable in a hardware store or should I order it online?

I'm also wondering about the heat deflector... face down or up? 

@FrancisK7 - please, before you do any mods to your cooker, cook on it for a couple of weeks as really smart Gurus above have advised.   Get to know your cooker.  Look for smoke leaks.  Observe its behavior at different temps.  Watch how long it takes to shut down.  Your Pit Boss is a quality cooker.  Let it prove it to you how good it can be before you go doing mods that probably aren't necessary.

Learn the specific vents settings that yield specific temps.  This is the smartest thing you can do to get great results from your cooks.  

All the best to you and your family with your new cooker.

I am making my first ribs tomorrow.

My plan:

I intend to cook 5 racks of babyback. Rub it, cook for 2 hours at 225 and some apple wood, then another 2 hours but spraying them with an apple juice/vinegar mix every hour, then basting in sauce every 20 minutes for the last hour. No foil. 

5 hours estimate still good for 5 racks of babyback?

I want to time my dinner correctly, it's my son's 1st birthday :D