Sign in to follow this  
oc_in_fw

Finally got a Kamado

I am not much of a poster, but I have been lurking the site for a while.  I finally pulled the trigger on an Akorn.  Walmart had them on sale for $247.  Due to a couple inconsequential dents, and some missing paint, I got them to sell it to me for $197.  That allowed me to pick up 120 lbs of charcoal (two-15 lb bags for $7.88 X 4) and some other supplies (not pictured are a dual probe thermometer with wireless receiver) and some apple chunks (already have some mesquite).  I did my first smoke last night.  It came out pretty good, but I should have pulled it a half hour earlier.  Thanks for all the good info that is at this site.

1.thumb.JPG.49e89d0d99df7b413ae47680819efeff.JPG2.thumb.JPG.4246b95339a029f5ccc7792e282c7c43.JPG3.thumb.JPG.6dc483db1a1c1881c556be455712a62d.JPG

4 minutes ago, TKOBBQ said:

Welcome to the Guru, lots of great people and info around here.

You may find that you have better results with lump charcoal. They tend to produce less ash than brickets, also don't use any starter fluid to get your fire started.

Thanks. I have been using a chimney for years for grilling, but I think I am going to get a looft  lighter for smoking. The chimney seems too much for lighting a few coals. 

1 hour ago, CeramicChef said:

@oc_in_fw - dude, that's one smoking deal!   Very nicely done.  Enjoy your new Akorn.  Now get busy cooking and posting!

Thanks. I will post pics of my pork butt in a minute

1 hour ago, Pitcritter said:

Congratulations. You'll love your Akorn. +1 on the lump. I've had success suing cotton balls soaked in rubbing alcohol to start a few coals. Minimal investment with great results.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Just regular rubbing alcohol, or is there a stronger version

56 minutes ago, anthonywilliams848 said:

Very nice make sure you cover it up!

Sent from my Z983 using Tapatalk

I've got a covered patio, but may still get a cover. 

Welcome aboard, Owen. Nice to have another B&Ber on the boards. You should feel right at home at KG. Some good folks here. Enjoy your Akorn!

Use 91% alcohol. Vaseline works great as well!

You can still put the briquettes to work for grilling but lump is the way to go. Royal Oak and B&B is easy to find in FTW.

1 hour ago, TKOBBQ said:

There is a stronger version I think it's 95+ proof.

Thanks. I saw a video of somone using alcohol and cotton balls. I will look for the high power stuff. 

11 minutes ago, SmoovD said:

Welcome aboard, Owen. Nice to have another B&Ber on the boards. You should feel right at home at KG. Some good folks here. Enjoy your Akorn!

Use 91% alcohol. Vaseline works great as well!

You can still put the briquettes to work for grilling but lump is the way to go. Royal Oak and B&B is easy to find in FTW.

Hey brother, what's up?  From my lurking, this place seems to be as friendly as B&B. 

I am going to have to do a little work on the grill. I closed all the vent off around 0100 last night. It was still a little over 200 degrees when I went in to work at 1400 today. 

I'm just grilling and chilling. :)

There are some quick mods that can seal your Akorn up tight. There are stickies at the top of the forum which should assist you. Essentially, score some gasket material and apply to the top of the base, the top of the ash pan, and behind the lower vent slider. You also might want to check the top vent assembly as well. It might not be secured fully.

I trust you will get a quick handle on the switchover to kamado-style cooking. I also have a Joe but I find that I still use my Akorn a ton. If you get the chance to score a similar deal on an Akorn Jr you will want to do so. It is awesome as well.

+1 on the cover. The CG cover is quality and worth the money.

If you need anything, please ping me I and will assist however I can. Otherwise, this board is full of people willing to assist. 

Happy days.

Great deal. +1 on the Lump, I have not used briquettes or lighter fluid at all and won't in my kamado. I did get a chimney for the higher heat grilling cooks, but generally just use the lighter cube with the lump down in the burn pot and it works fine. gonna try the cotton ball method soon.