Sign in to follow this  
Astroguy57

Happy 4th of July

b090b83b8364011529db74e2064c13f0.jpg I hope all of you and your families are enjoying this day. A special shout out to my veteran brothers. Thank you for your service!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Todays 4th of July special is roasted in husk corn w Mexican cheese, shrimp Monterey9389ad6f129d1edf54ffd79640f4d0d7.jpg jack poppers and Red Snapper w a cilantro based green sauce my wife made. Kudos to the boss . She is the Boss.

Todays 4th of July special is roasted in husk corn w Mexican cheese, shrimp Monterey9389ad6f129d1edf54ffd79640f4d0d7.jpg jack poppers and Red Snapper w a cilantro based green sauce my wife made. Kudos to the boss . She is the Boss.

b5ed0d3065a702783e3beb18e5a43638.jpg

b5ed0d3065a702783e3beb18e5a43638.jpg

A few thoughts #1 my wife said the food was strong w a hardwood flavor( she said like when you use too much mesquite). Did the grease from the burgers on last cook cause the Joe Xl lump to do this? I know for my 2nd cook fish was a big leap. Any comments will be greatly appreciated . Thanks gurus!!! And happy 4th.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@Astroguy57 - to be absolutely certain that one cook doesn't contaminate another, I also do a high temp burn at the end of each cook.  Grease can drip down onto unburned lump and turn rancid.  Then when you start the lump for the next cook that rancid grease can cause all kinds of problems.  To avoid this and other problems, I take my cooker to about 500-550F and let it sit there for about 30 minutes.  That should leave your cooker as clean as a whistle.  Finally, please make certain you set an alarm to remind yourself to shut down your kamado after 30 minutes. Dont trust yourself to remember, there will be that one time and you'll forget.  You really don't want your kamado going nuclear so just set the alarm and never worry about it.  Good luck.

[mention=13764]Astroguy57[/mention] - to be absolutely certain that one cook doesn't contaminate another, I also do a high temp burn at the end of each cook.  Grease can drip down onto unburned lump and turn rancid.  Then when you start the lump for the next cook that rancid grease can cause all kinds of problems.  To avoid this and other problems, I take my cooker to about 500-550F and let it sit there for about 30 minutes.  That should leave your cooker as clean as a whistle.  Finally, please make certain you set an alarm to remind yourself to shut down your kamado after 30 minutes. Dont trust yourself to remember, there will be that one time and you'll forget.  You really don't want your kamado going nuclear so just set the alarm and never worry about it.  Good luck.

Thanks ,CeramicChef advice taken