Dub

Pimento Cheese....a work in progress. Jump in with your version.

I was blessed to grow up living in the same town as each of my grandparents.  Truly blessed.   Spending time with them as a kid and through my 20's was something I don't take for granted.

Both set's attended my wedding...and I was able to enjoy many times fishing and golfing with both grandfathers.  Both grandmothers were exceptional cooks and my sister has many of their recipes committed to memory and can make them with great accuracy.  It's uncanny how she does this.   I'll go home to visit my family and she'll cook meals that bring back memories with every bite.  

One of the things that really stands out is one of my grandmother's pimento cheese spreads. Granddad and I would get in from a round of golf and she's have pimento cheese sandwiches ready for us with some type of soup.

It had a wonderful flavor that I've simply not been able to duplicate.  There's not a written recipe and my sister said she'd coach me.....but she's always vague on the details.   I think she simply doesn't want to give up the recipe, lol.....and I"m 100% okay with that.  She, too, had a powerfully strong connection to each of them and honors them in many ways, one small way being through her cooking.  Her children, my niece & nephew have been raised on their values and had their appetites satisfied through their recipes, too.  Good Stuff !!!!

My wife is nuts over pimento cheese.  She loves it on crackers...in sandwiches....and in various appetizers.     She's a big fan of the Palmetto Cheese brand.  I like it, too, even though it's vastly different than my grandmother's.

The problem with the Palmetto brand is that it's not always available in the stores and it's pricey.

I've been trying various takes on it, but here is my base recipe:

EDIT:   forgot to include in the below base recipe to include your favorite mayo.....start off slow as you don't want too much.

Odcctf3.png?1

mLIpkPb.jpg

C0AaoFk.jpg?1

ezmnaUd.jpg?1

nEQgTG9.jpg?1

gEaMoCz.jpg?1

sRg3Ap7.jpg?1

I'll take some aside and add habanero or jalapeño to it for using as a burger topper.  

To make it more like my grandmother's, I'll use only extra sharp cheddar and white vinegar and less mayo.  She used a food processor, too, and really made it dense.  

Please post up your versions.....

4 hours ago, Marty said:

If you are researching pimento cheese then the Amazing Ribs web site has a write up and a recipe. It is at lease worth a look.

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/snacks_and_munchies/pimento_cheese_spread.html

I'll give that a look, Marty.   Thanks.

That place has been mighty informative for all sorts of grilling ideas.

EDIT:  Dangitman @Marty    I went and looked at amazing ribs.com and came away with too many new ideas for meals.  Thank you for reminding me about their awesome website.

Just made another batch for the wife to enjoy over the days ahead....and to use as an ingredient in one of tonights appetizers.

Made this one more like I wanted it.... with jalapeños !!!

Pa9HA2B.jpg

fFUx4CW.jpg?1

My mom always grated American cheese, added pimentos, mayo and salt and pepper.  Loved it.  She was from North Carolina.

2 hours ago, BSA said:

My mom always grated American cheese, added pimentos, mayo and salt and pepper.  Loved it.  She was from North Carolina.

Good roots !!!!

NC get's overlooked in the food world far too often.....at least in my experience.

Granted, we tend to go overboard with vinegars and are dang near pork exclusive in our bbq.....but we do have other traditional foods that hold up well against our heathen SC bbq-brethren. :) 

They can keep their horrid mustard sauce....but some of their seafood dishes are righteous.

We get to own Bojangle's and the category of tobacco.

Three hours in the fridge had my batch of jalapeño pimento cheese tightening up nicely.

It was spot on in tonight's meal.

nzdSbev.jpg?1

Mine is delicious and very simple... and a bit tangier than most...

i start with a pound f grated extra sharp cheddar.  I add about the same amount of dukes mayo.  I add one of the small jars of diced pimientos, drained.   Then about 1/4 tsp of garlic powder and chipotle powder.  I like mine chunky but for some uses i put all that in the food processor except for the pimientos and take them for a ride, adding the pimientos after the blend.  Works better as a cracker spread this way.  Always try to make this up at least 24 hours in advance...

10 hours ago, John Setzler said:

Mine is delicious and very simple... and a bit tangier than most...

i start with a pound f grated extra sharp cheddar.  I add about the same amount of dukes mayo.  I add one of the small jars of diced pimientos, drained.   Then about 1/4 tsp of garlic powder and chipotle powder.  I like mine chunky but for some uses i put all that in the food processor except for the pimientos and take them for a ride, adding the pimientos after the blend.  Works better as a cracker spread this way.  Always try to make this up at least 24 hours in advance...

That really does sound good, John.  Hard to go wrong with Duke's, too.  That and Blue Plate are the two I mainly use.

Making it well in advance surely is best practice....seems to tighten up a bit.