• Announcements

• John Setzler

Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 5/2/2017   05/02/2017

Please take a moment to review these rules detailed below. If you agree with them and wish to proceed with the registration, simply click the "Register" button below. To cancel this registration, simply hit the 'back' button on your browser.   IF YOU ARE COMING HERE TO POST A COMPLAINT ABOUT YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GRILL COMPANY OR ANY VENDOR AND HAVE NOT ESTABLISHED YOURSELF AS A PARTICIPANT ON THIS SITE, WE SUGGEST THAT YOU REFRAIN FROM MAKING THE POST.  IF YOU HAVE MADE LESS THAN 25 POSTS TO THIS FORUM, YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE OR COMPANY COMPLAINT WILL LIKELY BE REMOVED FROM THE SITE AT THE DISCRETION OF THE MODERATORS AND ADMINISTRATOR.     THE IMPORTANT STUFF:   1. NO PROFANITY 2. NO PERSONALLY ABUSIVE BEHAVIOR 3. BE NICE.   Failure to adhere to these three basic rules can and will get you removed from this site.  You will get a verbal warning for a first offense.  After that you get suspended.  After that you get permanently suspended.  The decision of the administrator and moderators is final on any issues related to rules and behavior.   YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dub

Soul Rolls

6 posts in this topic

My wife and I went out to a nearby spot that's been up and running for a few years now.

It was our first time going, for some reason.  I guess we do more eating at home due my enjoying grilling and such.   I'm biased over my own results and have fun refining things.  

The place had a New Orleans meets Charleston vibe going on inside.  I was instantly relaxed and enjoying the place.  More so after a well made margarita arrived.

The menu had many things that jumped out at both of us....was difficult to zero in on any one thing.  Another margarita found me giving up and going solely with the suggestions of our waitress.

We each ordered an appetizer and an entree knowing there'd be ton's taken home in to-go boxes.   Out of the four items served to us.....two were not to my liking at all....one was a version of bang-bang shrimp and had an overly bitter sauce heavily drenched over it.  The other fail was the daily special...fried catfish fillets......way, way too much salt in the batter.

The two hits were her shrimp & grits (I thought they, too, were overly salty, but she was blown away) and an appetizer they called Soul Rolls.

They essentially were fried egg rolls stuffed with seasoned collards, bacon and pimento cheese.  

I'd seen them on the menu and right away thought they'd either be awesome or awful....no happy medium.

The were really tasty.

A couple weeks went by and I gave the Soul Rolls a try at home.  My son's girlfriend was over for dinner and she's not a meat-eater.  So I did some kamado pizzas and a batch of Soul Rolls cooked on the grill.  I've also done them in a small fryer and think the results were better.   Next batch I do will be done on the kamado....but directly on the pizza stone....

I use my own collards and pimento cheese for them....and use standard egg roll wrappers and hit 'em with egg wash to seal them up.

Bacon was cut and then crisped up after this pic...

AJQ5BXD.jpg?1

ItNcQRk.jpg?1

HV08uBo.jpg?1

Grilled version....done on pizza pan layed on top of stone as it was getting up to pizza cooking temp  ~500 degrees.

mgVrjNc.jpg?1

Fried version.....

XVEf6we.jpg?1

Great appetizer....easy to make.

Did another batch of Soul Rolls tonight......an upgraded version.

Rationale behind the upgraded status is that I replaced the measly bacon with country style ham.

BUxuHFq.jpg?1

And I added jalapeño to the pimento cheese.

FXEovV0.jpg?1

Soul Rolls on the right-hand side....

aYJWLv0.jpg?1

5m8U3gd.jpg?1

Done.   Never gonna change them.

My collards are a family favorite and have tons of flavor.......the pimento cheese is another vector on the flavor spectrum..........they work well with the salty ham buffer.  Done.

TKOBBQ and KamadoJosephine like this

My wife and I went our to a nearby spot that's been up and running for a few years now.

It was our first time going, for some reason.  I guess we do more eating at home due my enjoying grilling and such.   I'm biased over my own results and have fun refining things.  

The place had a New Orleans meets Charleston vibe going on inside.  I was instantly relaxed and enjoying the place.  More so after a well made margarita arrived.

The menu had many things that jumped out at both of us....was difficult to zero in on any one thing.  Another margarita found me giving up and going solely with the suggestions of our waitress.

We each ordered an appetizer and an entree knowing there'd be ton's taken home in to-go boxes.   Out of the four items served to us.....two where not to my liking at all....one was a version of bang-bang shrimp and had an overly bitter sauce heavily drenched over it.  The other fail was the daily special...fried catfish fillets......way, way too much salt in the batter.

The two hits were her shrimp and grits (I thought they, too, were overly salty, but she was blown away) and an appetizer they called Soul Rolls.

They essentially were fried egg rolls stuffed with seasoned collards, bacon and pimento cheese.  

I'd seen them on the menu and right away thought they'd either be awesome or awful....no happy medium.

The were really tasty.

A couple weeks went by and I gave the Soul Rolls a try at home.  My son's girlfriend was over for dinner and she's not a meat-eater.  So I did some kamado pizzas and a batch of Soul Rolls cooked on the grill.  I've also done them in a small fryer and think the results were better.   Next batch I do will be done on the kamado....but directly on the pizza stone....

I use my own collards and pimento cheese for them....and use standard egg roll wrappers and hit 'em with egg wash to seal them up.

[/url]  
Bacon was cut and then crisped up after this pic...

AJQ5BXD.jpg?1

ItNcQRk.jpg?1

HV08uBo.jpg?1

Grilled version....done on pizza pan layed on top of stone as it was getting up to pizza cooking temp  ~500 degrees.

mgVrjNc.jpg?1

Fried version.....

XVEf6we.jpg?1

Great appetizer....easy to make.

Oh brother, Im a sucker for Collard Greens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dub likes this

15 minutes ago, Astroguy57 said:

I start mine out with some bacon pieces browning in the pot.........then add Vidalia onions..............then boiling water, collards, jalapeños, garlic, honey and basil.  If I'm making them during a  pork shoulder or butt cook...then I'll add some of my heated pork pulling sauce......if not....then a bit of white vinegar works.

RDirO2V.jpg?1

fPXKIDq.jpg?1

qkldCE0.jpg?1

TKOBBQ and Astroguy57 like this

I start mine out with some bacon pieces browning in the pot.........then add Vidalia onions..............then boiling water, collards, jalapeños, garlic, honey and basil.  If I'm making them during a  pork shoulder or butt cook...then I'll add some of my heated pork pulling sauce......if not....then a bit of white vinegar works.

RDirO2V.jpg?1

fPXKIDq.jpg?1
      qkldCE0.jpg?1            

Love it, Grandma always threw in a smoked ham hock or smoked neck bones, lol. That and some cornbread and its on!!!! [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dub likes this