Sign in to follow this  
New_England_Akorn

possibly some air leaks but does it matter?

I know many work hard to mod their Akorn and completely seal it up.....That said I haven't done anything to mine and it's been working out just fine. I did have a particularly smoky cook (visible flame and smoke not typical at all) recently and noticed smoke coming out a little in various places (the bottom vent, both areas where the legs attach to the body, a little from the main gasket, and alittle near the base of the top vent. Obviously I could benefit from doing something to all those areas, but is it a must? I have had not problem holding temps as long as I make minor adjustments to the dampers. I just did a 5.5 hour rib cook and easily held withing the range of 225-275 and I adjusted the dampers slightly depending which way the temps were creeping. The adjustments don't bother me, part of the hobby to me.

So leave alone or try and seal her up?

That's entirely up to to you. It sounds like you're getting good results.

I'm doing a brisket this weekend which will be an overnight cook. It's situations like this where every minute spent sealing leaks will pay dividends.

One way or another, enjoy the process and you'll enjoy the results.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

As stated really up to what you want to do, i personally love to tinker so getting more efficient and having tighter control is great for me. My biggest beef is i would burn more lump after shutting down than needed to be, hence wasting. If you are not experiencing that or anything else that bothers you in the slightest then rock on.

Thanks all, I plan to leave it alone for now I think unless it becomes an issue. I can see where an overnight cook might be a challenge, but we'll see. I am able to get it to hold for pretty good periods with little to no movement so I am not going to stress over it. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't making a big mistake not sealing it up tighter.

As long as your holding temps fine and when you shut down the vents after your cook your coals die out in a timely manner I'd leave it alone. A lot of people mod these things to death trying to get them sealed up like Fort Knox, add ton's of gadgetry to try and hold within a degree or two throughout a cook, etc. Honestly I just don't see the point, these things as well as every other Kamado I've seen are great cookers right out of the box. The only thing's I've bought for my Akorn is the smoking stone, a cover and a thermoworks smoke that I only use for the purpose of being an alarm for overnight cooks in case things get out of control or the meat gets done before I get up. I've never had the smoke wake me up to make adjustments either, so I probably don't even need it to be honest. No reason to overcomplicate something that works just fine to begin with, but that's just my two cents.

6 hours ago, ifican said:

As stated really up to what you want to do, i personally love to tinker so getting more efficient and having tighter control is great for me. My biggest beef is i would burn more lump after shutting down than needed to be, hence wasting. If you are not experiencing that or anything else that bothers you in the slightest then rock on.

Yep- mine was still at 200 degrees 12 hours after shutting down. One of the reasons I bought it was to save fuel, so I will be looking for my leak. 

I agree with JDEaston. My Akorn leaks smoke too but it holds temps just fine and snuffs out after I close the vents. I'm leaving well enough alone. My Akorn has seen heavy use for 5 1/2 years now and is still going strong.

13 hours ago, oc_in_fw said:

Yep- mine was still at 200 degrees 12 hours after shutting down. One of the reasons I bought it was to save fuel, so I will be looking for my leak. 

Throw some smoking wood on it and close it down to find the leaks.

I cooked on mine yesterday at 400 degrees and shut it down at 5:30 PM and when I checked it around 9:15 it was completely out and cooled down.

2 hours ago, robertyb said:

Throw some smoking wood on it and close it down to find the leaks.

I cooked on mine yesterday at 400 degrees and shut it down at 5:30 PM and when I checked it around 9:15 it was completely out and cooled down.

Will do