Soapstone Support

NCJeff

Dumb question - does the soapstone need to be placed on top of a grate or can it be used in the place of a grate?  From all the pics I've seen of soapstones broken in shipping I'm wondering if they need the support of a grate to keep from cracking.

I've done it both ways. I honestly don't notice any difference between cooks and its held up for me. I did recieve one that was shipped broken, so I do use a grate for that one when I cook on it (only 1/4 was broken and I got to keep it).

So just use the grate if you want to just get rid of any concern :)

I use mine on the grate. Mainly because that's how it fits best in my set up. Not concerned about it breaking but if it does hopefully KJ will make it right. Have really enjoyed it so far...

I have a Soapstone for the Big Joe and have used it with and without the grate. I think it is stable enough without the grate.

In terms of durability, it is a soft stone and it is very heavy. If you drop something on it, it can very likely make a chip / dent. If you drop it completely, it will probably break. With that in mind, it creates a fantastic crust.