BGE Table Build

phish64

I have had my egg for a little over a year, and always intended on building a table for it when I settled on a location/blueprint.  I didn't realize it would take that long to settle on both!  

My yard is relatively compact and offered limited optimal grilling areas, so I ended up settling on a 4' by 3' patch near my patio that the previous owner had filled with ornamental grass.  I really wanted a larger build/kitchen for my egg, but I just couldn't find a suitable location.  Because of this, I went wider with my table to give me a bit more workable surface area.  

I used treated 4x4s for the legs (letting them dry some more before staining) and treated 2x4's for frame.  I used cedar 1x4s for the table top and 1x6s for the lower shelf.  For the finish, I decided to just go with Cabot Spar Varnish, but I'm not entirely happy with how it turned out, so I will probably redo it when I stain the legs.  There are also some other tweaks that I may make, so I'll post an update then.  Since I had to take the grill apart anyway to move it, I just used the band to trace my cut.  

I am not a pro when it comes to this sort of thing, so I'm sure I made some mistakes and made it more difficult than it needed to be throughout the process. I wanted it to be a little different and not get in the way of my fence gate, which is why I left it open on the left side.  

Thanks for checking out my table build.  

Frame construction with treated lumber.  Combination of 4x4s and 2x4s.

Frame

Bottom Shelf consists of Cedar 1x6s.  Table top is made up of 1x4s.

20170701_113312.thumb.jpg.004efe3ede6699c545d638016234038a.jpg

595f66eb0a7df_CutOut.thumb.jpg.56071ab7f256e7261b99cf6042f1b0f5.jpg

Cabot Spar Varnish (Gloss).  I believe this picture was taken 4 coats in.  Will probably redo it when I stain the legs.  I love the glossiness of it, but not the color so much  

Finish.thumb.jpg.52df6d2e453ceef72270ea9b9bbcb717.jpg

Finished product.  I wanted my egg a bit higher just due to personal preference.  Eventually, I'll be putting cedar horizontally along the fence behind the table just for aesthetics and a place to hang tools/light.     

Final.thumb.jpg.3e76c8ab2ef84a61fc938c167a367424.jpg

work area.jpg

Very nice work.  I like the unique design and even the color of the "4 coats in" its really warm. 

One idea, since you are putting cedar behind it eventually, you could clad the 4x4 legs with the cedar as well instead of staining them to kind of tie everything together.  I did this with a couple of pergolas I built and it works really well. 

Well done.

• 4 weeks later...

Looks good.  You probably could have gotten away with making the entire table out of cedar.  Treated lumber is only necessary for legs if the legs are going into the ground.  You did a good job.  You came up with a unique half circle design that's very interesting. 

The quality of treated wood has declined since they've stopped kiln drying the wood before sending it the store.  Often the wood is still wet and warped at Home Depot and Lowes.

I'm planing a renovation of my tables this year to redesign the top cabinet doors and to replace the drawers with Cabinet doors.  The drawers have issues with rain and reduce the amount of available storage area.  Switching to a cabinet will solve a couple of problems with my original design. 

I've using clear cedar.  I shed tears eveytime I have to buy more clear cedar.  It's not cheap by any means.  Clear cedar makes maple hardwood look cheap. 

IMG_0836.JPG

IMG_0837.JPG

IMG_0838.JPG

IMG_0839.JPG

You might consider putting some air between the bottom of the grill and that stone. I had a somewhat similar set up, and when I took it down, the wood under the stone was very charred, eventually would have burned through. 

• 2 weeks later...