• Similar Content

• By Marbque
      Been vacant for awhile had to make some poppers today. Used some Cattlemens tri-tip rub in the cream cheese...

• By John Setzler
      I was fortunate enough to get to partner with Wicked Edge to demo and evaluate this sharpening system.  I have been playing with it a good bit this week to learn how it works and get the diamond stones broken in and ready to get down to business...

This is the Wicked Edge WE-130 mounted on their aluminum base.  This base is 8"x10"x1" and it weights about 8 pounds to give the sharpener good stability on whatever work surface you choose.  They also have a 12"x10"x1.25" granite base option that weighs about 15lbs if you want something heavier.  The sharpener also comes with a template for the mounting screw holes so you can make your own base out of whatever material you like if you want to.  The bases are optional and do not come with the sharpener kit.

The sharpening angle adjustments on each side of the WE-130 go from 13° to 35° in 1° increments.  The small set screw on the right edge of the arm base allows you to micro adjust between 1° settings if you are using the optional digital angle gauge.  See later photos....

This cam arm is an update from previous versions of the wicked edge.  When you position your blade in the holder,  you just lower this arm to create the tension to hold it rather than using a hex key to tighten it in place.  

The blade holder holds up to a 3/16" thick blade.  There is an optional attachment for 1/4" thick blades if needed.

The WE-130 kit comes with 100/200 and 400/600 grit diamond stones for sharpening.  For most applications that is completely sufficient.  Wicked Edge provided me with the 800/1000 grit diamond stones and the 5/3.5 micron diamond paste leather strops also.  Wicked Edge offers a vast array of additional stones and strops if you are more interested in being able to produce a super high polished mirror edge on your blade bevels.  I don't mess with that level of detail on my kitchen knives but I enjoy having it on my pocket knives.  I will likely be adding a couple of their ceramic stones to this collection in the near future.  

You can also get a digital angle gauge if you are interested in absolute perfection of the angle and I would also consider this a requirement if you want to use the add-on low angle adapter to get angles below 13°.  I have a collection of Dalstrong Shogun series knives that I intend to sharpen with this unit and they have bevels in the 10° range that I want to be able to maintain.  

For todays' photo session and testing, I got out my Columbia River Knife and Tool (CRKT) Lake Design Thunderbolt 2 knife.  This is a tanto style blade that takes a little extra attention when sharpening, but the Wicked edge handled it perfectly.  This knife lives in my Man Cave and it's primary function cutting open boxes and bags of charcoal.  It takes a beating.  This was a cheap knife (about $20 or so) and it has held up to several years of pretty hard abuse.  

I used the digital angle gauge on this knife just to familiarize myself with the operation of the adjustments.  I would not normally care for that much precision on a knife like this.  I like 21-24° bevels on my pocket knifes normally.  They hold their edge and stay sharp much longer with a wider angle bevel.  

My next project with this is to make some video on the process of actually setting this up and sharpening some knives.  I have two kitchen knives I have been saving to sharpen on video with this.  The two knives are my Henckels Zwilling Pro 4" paring knife and 8" chef's knife.   I haven't used those knives in a while but both of them are in bad need of a good sharpening.  

#WickedEdge

• By Marbque
      Spent some time yesterday with just the wife and I making some beef ribs on out stickburner, first time in forever that we have not had to cook for an event, so it was nice to just be able to have some hot dogs for appetizer while waiting on these beef ribs. Hope everyone’s Sunday is enjoyable and relaxing enjoy

572E25BB-1878-40D9-8700-82BD2C854DE1.MOV

• By Lancejames
      I may eventually be in the market for a second kamado (I own the Blaze aluminum kamado and love it), and wanted to know if anyone owns the Golden's cast iron kamado. If anyone owns this kamado or knows someone with the kamado, would you mind giving an update? I assume that this kamado cooks quite evenly (considering its mass) since my Blaze performers so well. I am a huge fan of anything made of cast iron, but was curious how easy it was to get the Golden's to pizza/searing temperature (600+ degrees). I made pizzas the other night on my blaze and think I did not add enough charcoal for a total of (4) pizzas to stay at 550-600 on a cool night; I blew through all of my charcoal quiskly. Also, has anyone smoked something like a brisket (12 plus hours) and noticed much temperature variance (My blaze does quite well). 

Why do I want a second kamado you ask?
      1. Because I want to be able to cook multiple meats at different temps at the same time, or perhaps smoke one thing while using the rotisserie on the Blaze.  
      2. I want to be able to cook a lot of food (I enjoy cooking for others) 
      3. I'm a like a kid with his toys; my toys now revolve around food and beer... 

• By John Setzler
      Pellet grills are not typically good at searing.  The Yoder YS640 is pretty good at it.  I was impressed with the results.