• Announcements

• John Setzler

Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 9/7/2017   05/02/2017

The rules here are simple.  You must behave like an adult.  You may not use profanity.  If 'behaving like and adult' needs specific details in your eyes, then this forum is not for you.  Failure to behave like an adult may result in your loss of access to the site.     YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).   Thanks!
JC33

kontrol tower top vent paint/coating issue

Hello all...I believe I previously saw a posting from someone else with a bad kontrol tower top vent...coating was coming off.  Well, today, I discovered the same on mine...it is pretty new...got my KJ in April (and loving it, of course).  The last cook I did was actually my first "low & slow" on it...smoked a pork picnic for around 9 hours.  Oh and yes, the pork turned out fantastic!  By the way, I did have the issue with the blackened grease dripping out from the back and onto the KJ dome top.  And, I noticed today that for the first time, the slider top was sort of sticking.  

Anyway, all that being said, the big issue I discovered was that pain/coating is peeling off of the cap on the inside (see pics).  I went ahead and put in a replacement request with KJ so I'm sure they will take care of it.  However, I'm a little concerned that this sort of issue may happen repeatedly.  I'm hoping that it is just a one time manufacturing defect.  

If anyone else has had the issue, or heard any news about it, please let me know...thanks so much!

20170708_113859.jpg

20170708_113855.jpg

Did you find a good solution for the grease drippings from the top? I pick up my Big Joe today and am curious about solutions for that....following for the paint issues as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you find a good solution for the grease drippings from the top? I pick up my Big Joe today and am curious about solutions for that....following for the paint issues as well

I haven't had the issue, but I read on here somewhere that you need to clean after each cook. What I've been doing is wiping it down with hot water as soon as I can touch the top vent again. Avoids any chance of it seizing too.

Hello all...I believe I previously saw a posting from someone else with a bad kontrol tower top vent...coating was coming off.  Well, today, I discovered the same on mine...it is pretty new...got my KJ in April (and loving it, of course).  The last cook I did was actually my first "low & slow" on it...smoked a pork picnic for around 9 hours.  Oh and yes, the pork turned out fantastic!  By the way, I did have the issue with the blackened grease dripping out from the back and onto the KJ dome top.  And, I noticed today that for the first time, the slider top was sort of sticking.  

Anyway, all that being said, the big issue I discovered was that pain/coating is peeling off of the cap on the inside (see pics).  I went ahead and put in a replacement request with KJ so I'm sure they will take care of it.  However, I'm a little concerned that this sort of issue may happen repeatedly.  I'm hoping that it is just a one time manufacturing defect.  

If anyone else has had the issue, or heard any news about it, please let me know...thanks so much!
20170708_113859.thumb.jpg.bfe5befcd86b6c0d482da7803c33effb.jpg
20170708_113855.thumb.jpg.31cc441345d3d17a5457824750cb1655.jpg

I have the exact same issue.

YES I have this issue and this is my replacement! The 1st one I got with the KJ had too many layers so the top vent wouldn't fit on the tower. Now this happened after 2 weeks of use. I had posted this on Youtube but the people at Kamado joe keep asking me to take my videos down. 

I have another replacement on the way as we speak.

20170705_162046.jpg

Sounds like they have worked through the issue and are starting to send out corrected top vents. KJ's customer support is very good and have treated me amazingly well throughout the top gasket and top vent peeling issues. Just waiting for the corrected top vent to come back in stock so I don't have to continue cooking with the peeling one.

@Shipmonster

And why if they have been cordial to you and prompt in addressing the issue do you feel the need to have a video on YouTube about it? If they hadn't addressed the issue and weren't doing the right thing to correct it then maybe post about it. I don't even own a KJ but have never seen a company that does more to back there products and make sure their customers are satisfied.

26 minutes ago, TKOBBQ said:

@Shipmonster

And why if they have been cordial to you and prompt in addressing the issue do you feel the need to have a video on YouTube about it? If they hadn't addressed the issue and weren't doing the right thing to correct it then maybe post about it. I don't even own a KJ but have never seen a company that does more to back there products and make sure their customers are satisfied.

^This

People forget that a video posted about a defect from years ago can affect a companies sales forever

If I was looking at a new Joe in 2020 and saw a bunch of videos about peeling paint or cracked domes posted in 2017, I would still be concerned about the quality of the product

Especially when you consider that the people who post videos about how something went wrong rarely post another video after the company makes it right

11 hours ago, TKOBBQ said:

@Shipmonster

10 hours ago, Polar Bear said:

^This

People forget that a video posted about a defect from years ago can affect a companies sales forever

If I was looking at a new Joe in 2020 and saw a bunch of videos about peeling paint or cracked domes posted in 2017, I would still be concerned about the quality of the product

Especially when you consider that the people who post videos about how something went wrong rarely post another video after the company makes it right

@TKOBBQ @Polar Bear I think the two of you are making many assumptions of a situation you know little about. And assumptions are never flattering.

1 - I wouldn't call their service cordial and I would not say prompt either, not being able to use a $1,500 grill for the 1st week I owned it is not prompt service.  The email exchanges have been coarse and seldom polite, I get the impression from my contact that I'm an inconvenience when asking for a working grill. 

2-They asked me for pictures and videos of the issues before they would file a warranty claim, the only way I know how to link them a video in email is through youtube, and after dealing with their warranty claims two times now it seems posting the video on youtube is the only way to get prompt help. This last time I tried a nice email and pictures but I didn't get a response UNTIL I sent them a video. Also.... I put in my warranty claim over a week ago and I still don't have a working kontrol tower.

3 - "Especially when you consider that the people who post videos about how something went wrong rarely post another video after the company makes it right"  This is entirely wrong! The 2 videos (only viewed 2-4 times) I made at their request were promptly deleted, however if you look at my social media account with hundreds of followers you'll see that I expound the virtues of the kamado joe, brand and product results! https://www.instagram.com/shipmonster/?hl=en

From my point of view I've been nothing but accommodating and patient to the KJ company while they sort out their issues.  I wrote that post in a hurry but that doesn't preclude you guys from asking questions 1st before assuming I'm out to attack or disrespect the company.

@Shipmonster

While the last sentence of your last post states the reason your first post would lead people to believe that you had left the videos up. You have now clarified your position in the warranty process and in your 3rd bullet point stated the videos had been deleted. I know in the past others have posted about an issue with not hitting a certain radio button on the KJ website prevented their claim from getting processed. Maybe someone with more experience with KJ'S website will chime in. Best of luck to you in getting this resolved to your satisfaction.

43 minutes ago, TKOBBQ said:

@Shipmonster

While the last sentence of your last post states the reason your first post would lead people to believe that you had left the videos up. You have now clarified your position in the warranty process and in your 3rd bullet point stated the videos had been deleted. I know in the past others have posted about an issue with not hitting a certain radio button on the KJ website prevented their claim from getting processed. Maybe someone with more experience with KJ'S website will chime in. Best of luck to you in getting this resolved to your satisfaction.

It's a shame that the interactions you've had with others in the past lead you to interpret what I said that way. It was my impression, given to me by my rep, that they ask everyone to upload and provide pictures / video to claim warranty for defective parts.

But to the point of the OP,  KJ has a serious issue to resolve. I'm going onto my 3rd vent for different problems.