JC33

kontrol tower top vent paint/coating issue

3 hours ago, Shipmonster said:

@TKOBBQ @Polar Bear I think the two of you are making many assumptions of a situation you know little about. And assumptions are never flattering.

1 - I wouldn't call their service cordial and I would not say prompt either, not being able to use a $1,500 grill for the 1st week I owned it is not prompt service.  The email exchanges have been coarse and seldom polite, I get the impression from my contact that I'm an inconvenience when asking for a working grill. 

2-They asked me for pictures and videos of the issues before they would file a warranty claim, the only way I know how to link them a video in email is through youtube, and after dealing with their warranty claims two times now it seems posting the video on youtube is the only way to get prompt help. This last time I tried a nice email and pictures but I didn't get a response UNTIL I sent them a video. Also.... I put in my warranty claim over a week ago and I still don't have a working kontrol tower.

3 - "Especially when you consider that the people who post videos about how something went wrong rarely post another video after the company makes it right"  This is entirely wrong! The 2 videos (only viewed 2-4 times) I made at their request were promptly deleted, however if you look at my social media account with hundreds of followers you'll see that I expound the virtues of the kamado joe, brand and product results! https://www.instagram.com/shipmonster/?hl=en

From my point of view I've been nothing but accommodating and patient to the KJ company while they sort out their issues.  I wrote that post in a hurry but that doesn't preclude you guys from asking questions 1st before assuming I'm out to attack or disrespect the company.

The folks at KJ have always bent over backward to help me and everyone I have send their way.  

In watching this forum and several Facebook groups, I don’t think I have heard anyone complain about course or “seldom polite” service. It is no secret they have had some delays in CS responses in the past, but those should be resolved these days. 

Good luck. 

@Shipmonster

" It's a shame that the interactions you've had with others in the past lead you to interpret what I said that way. It was my impression, given to me by my rep, that they ask everyone to upload and provide pictures / video to claim warranty for defective parts.

But to the point of the OP,  KJ has a serious issue to resolve. I'm going onto my 3rd vent for different problems. 

It's funny you say that, my work partner sitting beside me at the machine we monitor for performance interpreted what you wrote in the same way that I did. As I said before best of luck in getting your issue resolved."

Thank you to whomever reported this thread to Kamado Joe. I received an email from the company rep, copying and pasting from this forum, that proved my previous points beyond a shadow of a doubt. I won't go into detail because it's against the forums TOS. But if you guys and gals got what I just got, most of you would be returning your grills

This is an interesting forum, one day last week I'm called a KJ fanboy that would buy a box of manure if KJ was stamped on it because I showed interest in KJ's new temp controller.

The next week I'm shown the most fantastic incredulity and skepticism one could imagine you'd get from a group of fanboys that I'm supposedly a part of. 

Either way. This has been an eye opening experience. Time to join em'. Back to the OP, I wouldn't want this to be removed for containing customer service complaints.  Lets go a head and see them vids.... I brought them back just for this. As you can see the bottom video being my new tower, there was too much protective coating on it not allowing the cap to sit inside the tower rendering the grill unusable, try as we might to work it in. I played with the tower at costco before buying so I know it should just slip on and rotate freely. 

In the 2nd is an issue similar to the OP's pictures. I saw this after a long smoke on the 4th of july, I pulled this tower off the grill because I didn't want any of the protective coating going in the coal. Who knows what off-gassing may occur?  

21 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

@Shipmonster

your post already violate the terms of service here.  Please let me know how you should be handled.  Thanks!

Please understand that I'm willing to work with you to stay in your guidelines.

I guess just delete everything before "either way?"

I don't think the videos violate the TOS, that's in cannon with the OP right?

3 minutes ago, Shipmonster said:

Please understand that I'm willing to work with you to stay in your guidelines.

I guess just delete everything before "either way?"

I don't think the videos violate the TOS, that's in cannon with the OP right?

To work with me to stay within my guidelines, you should stay within my guidelines.  I am sick of this sort of stuff and it's why I changed the terms of service to begin with.  Do think that was just some random change?  

I inquired about your service request and I can not see why you have ANY complaints.  Your issue is being handled expediently and without delay.  You are apparently perceiving something that doesn't seem to exist when viewed from a third-party point of view.  I am not going to delete this post because I am already bashed constantly for running a biased forum BECAUSE OF PEOPLE LIKE YOU.    It's not fair to the vendor that you post the things you have posted here.  I am leaving your content but I am suspending you to give you some time to think about what it means to be nice.

Cheers brother....

John Setzler

Kamado Guru Forum Administrator

From my dealings with Kamado Joe CS they have been beyond polite and courteous. From my understanding they have fixed the top vent issues, but are waiting for them to come back into stock. Patience is a virtue.

Can I get a link to the most current terms of service for this website? As a third party, I don't understand what was posted by the OP that required a ban. I see a consumer unstaisfied with service--he attempted to get replacement through the customer service avenue, and is unsatisfied with the results. He posted his displeasure with his third top vent, and he gets the ban?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, Mp_tx said:

Can I get a link to the most current terms of service for this website? As a third party, I don't understand what was posted by the OP that required a ban. I see a consumer unstaisfied with service--he attempted to get replacement through the customer service avenue, and is unsatisfied with the results. He posted his displeasure with his third top vent, and he gets the ban?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look at the top of every forum thread and in the side bar on the right side of the main page.  Every member of this site was required to accept the new terms of service by clicking OK on them when the changes were made to them.  

^^^^ First you probably should have addressed your concerns through a PM to a Site Administrator or the Owner who is who instituted the ban. But here is your request.

://www.kamadoguru.com/announcement/46-site-tosguidelines-updated-522017/

It's pretty much covered here in the first two paragraphs:

Please take a moment to review these rules detailed below. If you agree with them and wish to proceed with the registration, simply click the "Register" button below. To cancel this registration, simply hit the 'back' button on your browser.

IF YOU ARE COMING HERE TO POST A COMPLAINT ABOUT YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GRILL COMPANY OR ANY VENDOR AND HAVE NOT ESTABLISHED YOURSELF AS A PARTICIPANT ON THIS SITE, WE SUGGEST THAT YOU REFRAIN FROM MAKING THE POST. IF YOU HAVE MADE LESS THAN 25 POSTS TO THIS FORUM, YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE OR COMPANY COMPLAINT WILL LIKELY BE REMOVED FROM THE SITE AT THE DISCRETION OF THE MODERATORS AND ADMINISTRATOR.

Or posibly here:

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

If not refer to the complete TO link above.

Also to add the OP isn't the person that got banned.

3 hours ago, TKOBBQ said:

^^^^ First you probably should have addressed your concerns through a PM to a Site Administrator or the Owner who is who instituted the ban. But here is your request.

://www.kamadoguru.com/announcement/46-site-tosguidelines-updated-522017/

It's pretty much covered here in the first two paragraphs:

Please take a moment to review these rules detailed below. If you agree with them and wish to proceed with the registration, simply click the "Register" button below. To cancel this registration, simply hit the 'back' button on your browser.

IF YOU ARE COMING HERE TO POST A COMPLAINT ABOUT YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GRILL COMPANY OR ANY VENDOR AND HAVE NOT ESTABLISHED YOURSELF AS A PARTICIPANT ON THIS SITE, WE SUGGEST THAT YOU REFRAIN FROM MAKING THE POST. IF YOU HAVE MADE LESS THAN 25 POSTS TO THIS FORUM, YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE OR COMPANY COMPLAINT WILL LIKELY BE REMOVED FROM THE SITE AT THE DISCRETION OF THE MODERATORS AND ADMINISTRATOR.

Or posibly here:

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

If not refer to the complete TO link above.

Also to add the OP isn't the person that got banned.

If they are responding within 5 business days they are doing a good job supporting the product.  They didn't leave you hanging for months.  They will fix the issue no matter what.  

I would just scrape off the flaked paint for now and get back to cooking.  The vent is aluminum so it won't rust.  KJ will send you a new vent.  You're making a giant stink over one service part when your grill is usable.

Scatched paint on the vent shouldn't stop you from using the grill until a service part can be sent out. 

I'm new to the KJ family but have been cooking on the BGE for almost 12 years now. 

I have to ask, is the paint peeling that much of a problem that it makes the KJ unusable? Can't it just be peeled off and used bare metal? I thought it was cast aluminum correct?

I'm asking because I have a new KJ classic sitting in my garage waiting for my sons house to be finished for a house warming present and want to be prepared if any thing goes wrong when he starts using it.

3 minutes ago, Hungry Joe said:

I'm new to the KJ family but have been cooking on the BGE for almost 12 years now. 

I have to ask, is the paint peeling that much of a problem that it makes the KJ unusable? Can't it just be peeled off and used bare metal? I thought it was cast aluminum correct?

I'm asking because I have a new KJ classic sitting in my garage waiting for my sons house to be finished for a house warming present and want to be prepared if any thing goes wrong when he starts using it.

There was a problem of some sort with the powdercoating process in the early runs of this product.  Your top vent may or may not exhibit this problem.  The process has been corrected.  I have two of the newer model grills with top vents that were made prior to the problem being corrected and I have not had issues with either of mine yet so you may or may not see the problem.  If you do, Kamado Joe will replace the top vent for you under warranty.

8 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

There was a problem of some sort with the powdercoating process in the early runs of this product.  Your top vent may or may not exhibit this problem.  The process has been corrected.  I have two of the newer model grills with top vents that were made prior to the problem being corrected and I have not had issues with either of mine yet so you may or may not see the problem.  If you do, Kamado Joe will replace the top vent for you under warranty.

But, it doesn't affect the function at all does it? At least until a new one arrives? 

1 minute ago, Hungry Joe said:

But, it doesn't affect the function at all does it? At least until a new one arrives? 

Not at all.  You'll be able to cook just fine with paint chips on your vents.  Guys with older BGE's cook with rusted vents all the time. 

You're just not going to walk away with the crown if you decide to enter your Joe in a local beauty pageant.:-)