JC33

kontrol tower top vent paint/coating issue

After all I read after the top vent paint problem which I have, gonna wait until the dust settles.  Fairly confident I will be taken care of. Slightly bummed but not devastated. Still able to cook just fine. Happy that I got a great product at a fair price. 

We all have been shorted with a product problem of any brand or sort in our past experiences, that may drive a bit of negative vibes. I surmise what my father always told me. Patience is a virtue.

Not getting getting a bad vibe from KJ. That's reinforced by by the really great people on the site who have posted candid input for a long time. Hope they keep on. 

Keeping "the picture" big.

M.

15 hours ago, mike echo said:

How do you do an ultra sonic bath at home. -guessing without Googling this is an industrial application?

7 hours ago, John421 said:

Correct, John

I have a large-ish ultra sonic cleaner in my shed for cleaning various car, bow and gun parts

My replacement kontrol top arrived today and slides open and close like butter.  Its a little looser fitting than I was hoping but a little adjustment of the gasket helped it slide on a little more snug.  Will watch it, however am very happy with the quick replacement!

We'll waiting for awhile before we see any retail box Kontrol Towers in Canada.  My best guess is September.

I have the Stainless Smokeware KJ vent caps right now.  I'm looking forward to having the KJ version instead.  The Smokeware vents have been a Godsend for cooking in Bad weather.  They saved a high temp steak cook in a downpour on Sunday. 

As you can see from the pics below, the Smokeware vents have a huge drawback.  They get pretty dirty overtime.  They get hard to clean.  The grease doesn't come off easy without a high temp burn.  

They also grease up the dome badly.  You have to scrub the KJ dome on a regular basis if you're using the Smokeware vents.  The Smokeware vents can warp slightly after a spec clean making them hard to open.  Occasionally you have to give them a light bend to get them back in shape. 

You have to try to avoid loosing the rubber handle nub to boot.  I'm looking forward to the KJ vents. 

Believe it or not; this is what they look like after being cleaned with just tinfoil and a wire brush.  They looked a lot worse a few days ago.  They don't really provide a flattering appearance.  This is after 3 years of use.  They were purchase back in the fall of 2014.

IMG_0781.JPG

IMG_0782.JPG

IMG_0784.JPG

IMG_0786.JPG

IMG_0790.JPG

42 minutes ago, Charcoal Addict said:

We'll waiting for awhile before we see any retail box Kontrol Towers in Canada.  My best guess is September.

I have the Stainless Smokeware KJ vent caps right now.  I'm looking forward to having the KJ version instead.  The Smokeware vents have been a Godsend for cooking in Bad weather.  They saved a high temp steak cook in a downpour on Sunday. 

As you can see from the pics below, the Smokeware vents have a huge drawback.  They get pretty dirty overtime.  They get hard to clean.  The grease doesn't come off easy without a high temp burn.  

They also grease up the dome badly.  You have to scrub the KJ dome on a regular basis if you're using the Smokeware vents.  The Smokeware vents can warp slightly after a spec clean making them hard to open.  Occasionally you have to give them a light bend to get them back in shape. 

You have to try to avoid loosing the rubber handle nub to boot.  I'm looking forward to the KJ vents. 

Believe it or not; this is what they look like after being cleaned with just tinfoil and a wire brush.  They looked a lot worse a few days ago.  They don't really provide a flattering appearance.  This is after 3 years of use.  They were purchase back in the fall of 2014.

IMG_0781.JPG

IMG_0782.JPG

IMG_0784.JPG

IMG_0786.JPG

IMG_0790.JPG

That's interesting... I Had a smokeware cap owner tell me that the smokeware cap DID NOT DRIP on the dome of the kamado like the new KJ top vent does on some low and slow cooks.  I guess that just isn't the case.  

9 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

That's interesting... I Had a smokeware cap owner tell me that the smokeware cap DID NOT DRIP on the dome of the kamado like the new KJ top vent does on some low and slow cooks.  I guess that just isn't the case.  

Maybe they're not as heavy as user as me.  It's rare event when I'm not cooking on the grill.  Not sure why I bothered buying a Bosch oven. 

It does drip grease when doing Bisket and pulled pork cooks.  It doesn't cover the top of the Chimeny at all like the KJ top vent.  It makes one Hell of a mess out of the top of the Chimney that takes 2 hours of elbow grease to clean. 

Anyone basking the Kontrol Tower in favour of the Smokeware vent needs a huge reality check. 

2 hours ago, Charcoal Addict said:

IMG_0781.JPG

IMG_0782.JPG

IMG_0784.JPG

IMG_0786.JPG

IMG_0790.JPG

Yeah, I'mma pass on that

I don't get why the paint thing is that much of an issue

1-Order a replacement under warranty

2-Brush off the loose paint with a wire brush

3-Cook on

1 hour ago, Shipmonster said:

My 4th tower started peeling the other day, seems the issues isn't resolved. 

I'm actually surprised KJ didn't stick with Cast Iron.  I know people liked to complain about rust.  Cast Iron is easier for end users to sand and re-paint vs aluminum. 

1 hour ago, Charcoal Addict said:

I'm actually surprised KJ didn't stick with Cast Iron.  I know people liked to complain about rust.  Cast Iron is easier for end users to sand and re-paint vs aluminum. 

The cast iron top vent on my Bubba Keg is - for the most part - self lubricating and self seasoning. I've never done anything to it after the first couple of cooks.

I may be late posting to this thread, but I wanted to include my experience.  I purchased my Joe Classic about two months ago and have used it about 10 times.  I love it.  I've done some low and slow cooks with smoke and some higher temp cooks.

I recently noticed issues with the top vent (paint peeling, sticking, gunk dripping on back of Joe, etc.).  I went online today and submitted a customer support request including photos.  They emailed me within an hour and said they are sending me a new top vent.  No questions asked.  I call that great customer service.  Now I'm hoping the new top vent doesn't have the same issues.

By the way John, I love your YouTube videos.