JC33

kontrol tower top vent paint/coating issue

Just that quick they are shipping me out a new cap!

I can't complain about the customer service with KJ.  It may take some time to get what you need, but they are willing to support their product 100%

Can't wait to buy my Big Joe in 2018.

Top Vent Replacement.png

Hey guys, ended up here after a Google search. The paint/powder coating is completely peeling off and gumming up my top vent on my Classic II I bought in January.

Contacted KJ support and they are really amazing, and really cool people. Sent him a pic of my issue and within 10 minutes had an email with shipping information for new parts.....really blown away by the great customer service. 

Hopefully this issue is resolved with new top vents. I'm anal about keeping my KJ clean, its constantly wiped down while cooking, I scrub the interior with a brush, wash the grills, and after it cools I vacuum it out with a shop vac....

Is anyone with a defective cap wanting to get rid of it? I would be glad to pay for shipping for one, I could use it for a project and don't mind if the paint is peeling on it. Figured it wouldn't hurt to ask :)

3 hours ago, Rick in Ontario said:

So, is the paint peeling still a problem on the new Kontrol tower top vents?

I'd like to know this to.  Might pull the trigger on a 2018 classic 2 or get 2016 big joe preupdates

6 hours ago, hillbillyben said:

I'd like to know this to.  Might pull the trigger on a 2018 classic 2 or get 2016 big joe preupdates

Worst comes to worst you just get the smokeware cap for $40 bucks. I have a KJCII and the old style vent that I had never stayed put when opening the lid. Not a big deal.

1 hour ago, adam319 said:

Worst comes to worst you just get the smokeware cap for $40 bucks. I have a KJCII and the old style vent that I had never stayed put when opening the lid. Not a big deal.

With all due respect, if that works for you, all is good.

BUT the classic is $1599.00 up here in Canada. For that kind of money I am not going to spend money to correct a defect after buying a top quality, top priced product. 

Second, I bought a Smokeware cap a couple of years ago and didn't like it. I sold it to a friend. A Smokeware cap will not cost $40.00 here, I had about $75.00 invested by the time it landed on my doorstep.

Don't know about the new ones but I bought mine last year and when the paint started peeling I just peeled all of it from the inside and kept on cooking. I really like the other features of the new versions over the first gen.

I just filled out a warranty claim on the website for mine.  I'm not even sure its the paint issue.  Looks like smoke gunk is building up and making it difficult to move the slider and impossible to fully open the vent on the hinge.  Just asked if there was a remedy or something I should be doing and this morning I was notified that a replacement control top is on the way. 

Excellent customer service.

4 minutes ago, HoserJoe said:

I just filled out a warranty claim on the website for mine.  I'm not even sure its the paint issue.  Looks like smoke gunk is building up and making it difficult to move the slider and impossible to fully open the vent on the hinge.  Just asked if there was a remedy or something I should be doing and this morning I was notified that a replacement control top is on the way. 

Wait wait wait. You told them you think your KT is just really dirty and asked how to fix it and they're just sending you a new one?!

4 minutes ago, HoserJoe said:

The remedy for that is to balance your cooks with hot and low and slow cooking.  The gunk builds up over multiple low and slow cooks but hot cooking regularly keeps it functional.  I have never had to clean either of mine.

27 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

The remedy for that is to balance your cooks with hot and low and slow cooking.  The gunk builds up over multiple low and slow cooks but hot cooking regularly keeps it functional.  I have never had to clean either of mine.

Define "hot"?  I'm only about a month into being a KJ guy.  I've done ribs twice and a butt once.  Other than that its been pizza (2) and reverse sears (4).  I would think that's a decent balance and should "burn" it off?

And yes my intent was to ask a question and next thing I knew they were sending a replacement part.

1 hour ago, HoserJoe said:

Define "hot"?  I'm only about a month into being a KJ guy.  I've done ribs twice and a butt once.  Other than that its been pizza (2) and reverse sears (4).  I would think that's a decent balance and should "burn" it off?

And yes my intent was to ask a question and next thing I knew they were sending a replacement part.

I would define HOT in this case probably ad 350 and higher.  It may or may not be a decent balance in terms of time.  If you did the butt and the ribs back to back I would expect it to be gunked up.  The replacement you will be getting will not solve this issue.  I recommend using a degreaser like purple power or something similar to clean the moving/sliding surfaces after each low and slow cooking session and you will not have the problems.

Don’t have a problem but does anyone know or heard when the new stainless Kontrol tower will be available?  I thought I had read soon somewhere but can’t find that info now.  Thanks

On 7/2/2018 at 7:53 PM, Rick in Ontario said:

So, is the paint peeling still a problem on the new Kontrol tower top vents?

I have received a replacement kontrol towel cap and im starting to see paint bubbling off in the same area as last time. I think I will just get it powder coated and be done with it.