JC33

kontrol tower top vent paint/coating issue

Based on the date stamped on my KJC2, it was manufactured in nov 2018. After several smokes, my powder coat looks like many in this thread. At first I thought it was gunk, but after removing it to clean thoroughly, I noticed it has a little bit of gunk, but most of it is actually coating bubbling and peeling. Maybe I got old stock, but it seems like current units might still have the isue.

14 minutes ago, horseshoes said:

Based on the date stamped on my KJC2, it was manufactured in nov 2018. After several smokes, my powder coat looks like many in this thread. At first I thought it was gunk, but after removing it to clean thoroughly, I noticed it has a little bit of gunk, but most of it is actually coating bubbling and peeling. Maybe I got old stock, but it seems like current units might still have the isue.

I wish they would have stayed with Cast Iron or gone with Stainless Steel for the vent instead.  

It’s hard to keep paint from stripping with Aluminum.  It’s not a porous metal like CI.  The paint only sits on the surface and will scrape off easily no matter what you do.  

My Kamado Joe II is 3 months old and the paint on the tower top vent after crack and peeled and I was wondering if there are any others grill owners with the same problem nowadays. I'll reach out to customer support, but I'm curious if others have experienced the same issue.

43 minutes ago, rodny said:

My Kamado Joe II is 3 months old and the paint on the tower top vent after crack and peeled and I was wondering if there are any others grill owners with the same problem nowadays. I'll reach out to customer support, but I'm curious if others have experienced the same issue.

I also have the kamado Joe ll. I had the same issue with my tower control vent. They covered it under the warranty. The replacement I had lasted about a year or so and the same thing has happened to the replacement. I justed wire brushed it and kept on using it.

Same thing for my Big Joe 2 I bought end of Novemeber 2019. The paint is completely debonded and every time I clean the cap, more giant flakes come off. 

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 1:51 AM, 12v_dub said:

I have received a replacement kontrol towel cap and im starting to see paint bubbling off in the same area as last time. I think I will just get it powder coated and be done with it. 

I got mine media blased back to bare metal 

Looks kinda cool now 

I gave up on KJ fixing this problem but I never filed a claim for this issue also because I thought it was petty, It is a smoker and things happen that I don't believe the manufacturer is responsible. With that said I finally went back to the smokeware cap, I wasn't happy the first time i tried them but IMO the new ones are better quality and so far so good

8 minutes ago, iBarbEQue said:

Is this issue still occurring in 2020? 

Welcome.  Stop by and introduce yourself. 

On 3/12/2020 at 9:02 PM, iBarbEQue said:

Is this issue still occurring in 2020? 

Would like to know this as well as I need to purchase one.  Is it better to go with the Smokeware cap?

10 hours ago, Combustication said:

Would like to know this as well as I need to purchase one.  Is it better to go with the Smokeware cap?

Yes it is.  The powdercoating does not hold up.  It has not been corrected.  The kontrol tower works perfectly after the powdercoating comes off the contact surfaces.