Sign in to follow this  
SuperJohnG

Hi from Scotland

Hi all, 

Just thought I'd introduce myself, I'm from Scotland. 

I've always loved BBQing, however here in Scotland normally we can't get it the BBQ out so much due to the terribly wet weather here on the west coast of Scotland. However this year has been good and I've been looking for a new BBQ. I was currently using an old open grill handed down to me by my father in law, but have been looking at a new kettle unit but decided they just weren't what I wanted.

Hence I have  taking the (huge) plunge and just ordered myself a Kamado Joe classic II. Living somewhere where it mostly rains this is basically a ludicrous purchase..however I am determined I will use it all year round. In fact I've told my better half we can't use the oven for the next 6 months just so I can justify the cost!

I also ordered, Beer can chicken holder, Pizza stone, calzone press, looflighter and based on recommendations on here..a thermoworks smoke. 

I love american style BBQ food and smoked foods, so hoping I will be able to recreate some of that goodness here! I also bought the Hot coals Kamado book, hoping its decent ..I have seen the meathead book. But felt I might leave that for a few months until I have honed my technique. 

thanks! 

Welcome to Kamado Guru. Great purchase. You might care about getting wet but the KJ Classic won't know or care if it's  raining or sunny. 

You might be cooking American BBQ but we want to see some Scottish food. 

Welcome from a fellow Brit !  I'm sure you will love your Joe - and it's certainly a great option for less than ideal climates ;)   I've certainly used mine in some pretty crap weather.....

Where did you get your thermoworks smoke from btw - did you have to order it from America ?  I couldn't find anyone selling then in the UK.

Welcome from a fellow Brit ! 

Where did you get your thermoworks smoke from btw - did you have to order it from America ?  I couldn't find anyone selling then in the UK.

Thanks Pete.

I got it from Amazon...it does say in the thermoworks site not to buy from there. But the costs was quite heavy to import it. However it was a reputable seller and a company that seemed fine with a good background (ETI limited). If you can't find it let me know.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Welcome!  I just visited Scotland for the first time in April.  Beautiful country and great people, we absolutely loved it.

The KJ should be able to produce good results even if the weather is not perfect.  I'm sure you will find lots of great tips on here.

Enjoy your new kamado!

Welcome aboard from a Canuck Kamado fan!  If we can use ours in minus 30*C, you can withstand a wee soggy day!

Lets see the photos when it arrives and when you do your first cook!

29 minutes ago, SuperJohnG said:

Thanks Pete.

I got it from Amazon...it does say in the thermoworks site not to buy from there. But the costs was quite heavy to import it. However it was a reputable seller and a company that seemed fine with a good background (ETI limited). If you can't find it let me know.

Interesting - ETI are the UK partners with Thermoworks. I asked them earlier in the year about getting a smoke and they told me they had no plans to sell the smoke in the UK !!!  So I ended up buying a Thermopro.  I found it on Amazon now - good price as well....

Anyway, I do like ETI/Thermoworks products - I have a Thermapen and also a Dot which I use in the kitchen oven. Both are superb and I suspect the Smoke will be as well.

Thanks for the info and be sure to post up some pics of your cooks once you are up and running !

Interesting - ETI are the UK partners with Thermoworks. I asked them earlier in the year about getting a smoke and they told me they had no plans to sell the smoke in the UK !!!  So I ended up buying a Thermopro.  I found it on Amazon now - good price as well....

Anyway, I do like ETI/Thermoworks products - I have a Thermapen and also a Dot which I use in the kitchen oven. Both are superb and I suspect the Smoke will be as well.

Thanks for the info and be sure to post up some pics of your cooks once you are up and running !

Ah well there you go. Should be fine then. Thanks will do.

Welcome to the family.  There is no bad weather for BBQ- only bad clothing and bad tie-downs for whatever you're using for shelter.  Looking forward to a good smoked haggis recipe.  I have had smoked pig stomach stuffed with andouille and rice back in Louisiana, can't be that different.

Welcome John!  Looking forward to hearing about and seeing pictures from your cooking experience.  I had a hard time taking the plunge when I went "full ceramic," but haven't regretted it one bit!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Colin
      My buddy cuts grass and a client of his had this in their garage for years. I think I made a very solid purchase for $300(hope so?)
      I’ve read a bit on here, and I’m assuming this is a late 90’s model(Richard Johnson-right?)

There’s no loose tiles, the part on top spins freely, and only one little chip on one tile right by the back hinge.
      the shocks/springs squeal a bit, but I haven’t started messing with it. 

it’s about 50” tall
      no place for gas starter in back(I’ve seen a square on a similar one)

the tile is in greaaaat shape. That seems to be the biggest issues Ive read about

Thanks for all ya’ll do. This page has been a great resource before I bought it. 

• By LargeRedJoe
      Kamado Joe is having a warehouse sale next Friday and Saturday in Atlanta (well, really it's Duluth).

Kamado Joe
      3400 Rivergreen Ct NW
      Duluth, GA 30096-2519

ETA: From Conor Brennan

• By GrillDawg
      Fired up the KJ for some NY Strip Steaks last night. I'd have to say...best steak I've had, hands down.

Got the steaks from a Stripling's General Store here in town. Seasoned with some Lane's BBQ Brisket rub. Put a block of Hickory in the fire.

1. Got the grill up to around 300º while seasoning.

2. First time using my ThermoPro wireless thermometer. It definitely gave me the flexibility of hanging out inside while getting up to temp!

3. Got the steaks to 125º and pulled them off and tented with aluminum foil.

4. Opened up the vents and aimed to get to 550-600º for the sear.

5. "I have made fire!"

6. Looking tasty! It smelled so good.

7. Plated with some spinach salad and a twice baked potato from Striplings.

8. Look at that color!

I'd have to say...this is my fourth cook on my KJ since buying it for Father's Day and everything I make on it is amazing. My wife looked at my across the table while eating and said, "I see why you wanted to spend so much money on a grill. This is delicious!"

If only she would have that logic when I try to convince her I want to buy a truck...haha
    • By GrillDawg
      Fired up the Kamado Joe today for some baby back ribs. Followed the video @John Setzler posted on YouTube. My rack ended up being a little smaller than the one in the video so I never quite got the bend test, but these were definitely some of the best ribs I have ever had. Pics below!

Baby Back Ribs
      Rub: A custom one made by Lanes BBQ (a local BBQ place located in Bethlehem, GA). On Father's Day our church gave out a custom rub Lane's made to all the dads. It was great!!
      Sauce: Sweet Baby Ray's diluted with some apple juice
      Cook time: 5ish hours
      Smoked with some cherry blocks

1. Put them on the grill around 12:30PM

2. ~2 hours into cook

3. Profile shot (~3 hours)

4. Gettin' saucy (~4 hours)

5. Nice color and glaze. This was right before I took them off.

6. Plated w/ roasted broccoli and cauliflower plus roll

7. Yessir!

8. Fall off the bone!

9. Gotta shoutout to one of my favorite breweries and they are located 5 min away: Terrapin Beer!

Really enjoyed this cook today. Excited to take the leftovers and make a hash with them in the morning!

• By ret42
      Still fairly new to smoking in general, let alone on the Kamado, but my favorite thing to smoke on the MES was salmon. Despite my best efforts, I never managed to screw it up. Figured with a sale on wild caught Sockeye at Fresh Market, it was a good time to test my luck on the Joe. I started out with the brine recipe here: https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/final-smoked-salmon-with-recipe-instructions-and-qview.91264/

Here's the shot after the brine:

My biggest concern was keeping the temperature low. After some suggestions from some of the guys on here, I found the biggest, lumpiest blocks in the bag and started the fire:

Salmon went on the grill immediately to warm up with it.

This was also my first cook with the MEATER Block, so I got to test that out as well. There was definitely some disparity between the two probes, but I'm going to give them a few more rounds before I write em off. I'm curious what anyone else's experience with these is.

Mandatory. Huge fan of bourbon, and coffee, and stouts. If you haven't had anything from Alltech Brewing, I highly recommend it!

Almost done

And complete.

Graph of the finished cook from the MEATER app. I may have fallen asleep towards the end, there. Notifications weren't super notifying.

I'd definitely call this cook a flying success. If I keep this up I may even sell the MES.