UK Lumpwood, where to buy?

I see a couple of replies to one of my post were practically neighbors to me in Hampshire so I thought I might ask any UK posters on the forum  what brand of lumpwood char coal they use and where they get there supply from?

Charcoal seems to be going up in price quite quickly here, I'm paying almost £4 more for 20kg then I was at the start of the year, I know this as I buy it from a supplier on eBay and have checked my purchase history. That said it might be because of this years dip in the £ 

I myself over the years have tried all sorts of brands from many different places but last year I I found a great supplier on eBay that dose good long burning hardwood lump who's prices beat most other places I buy from even with delivery, 

Incase anyone is interested I buy from here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-10kg-Restaurant-Quality-Lumpwood-Charcoal-Long-Burning-Heat-BBQ-Barbecue-/222568465218?hash=item33d21d4342:g:6RoAAOSwgkRVSN-S

I think they might  now trade there charcoal under the name "green olive" or that might just be who supplies them, anyway each bag has a good selection of lump sizes, I even use the smallest coal by filling my fire box and pouring the last of the charcoal from the bag on top, the cost of lumpwood now I don't like to see any go to waste 

5 minutes ago, tonychapple said:

I've bought Hampshire Coppice lump wood .... there's a farm shop just outside wickham that stocks it ..... it's not the cheapest, but it's sustainable, local and came highly recommended emoji106.pngemoji106.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I will check that out, is that the farm shop on the Botley to Wickham Road? I think there is a place in the New Forest that sells it as well 

I will check that out, is that the farm shop on the Botley to Wickham Road? I think there is a place in the New Forest that sells it as well 

http://www.westlandsfarmshop.co.uk

Think there's a few places around that stocks it.... lucky for me this one is just down the road [emoji4][emoji4]

Hope it works out for you [emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Soton said:

I see a couple of replies to one of my post were practically neighbors to me in Hampshire so I thought I might ask any UK posters on the forum  what brand of lumpwood char coal they use and where they get there supply from?

Charcoal seems to be going up in price quite quickly here, I'm paying almost £4 more for 20kg then I was at the start of the year, I know this as I buy it from a supplier on eBay and have checked my purchase history. That said it might be because of this years dip in the £ 

I myself over the years have tried all sorts of brands from many different places but last year I I found a great supplier on eBay that dose good long burning hardwood lump who's prices beat most other places I buy from even with delivery, 

Incase anyone is interested I buy from here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-10kg-Restaurant-Quality-Lumpwood-Charcoal-Long-Burning-Heat-BBQ-Barbecue-/222568465218?hash=item33d21d4342:g:6RoAAOSwgkRVSN-S

I think they might  now trade there charcoal under the name "green olive" or that might just be who supplies them, anyway each bag has a good selection of lump sizes, I even use the smallest coal by filling my fire box and pouring the last of the charcoal from the bag on top, the cost of lumpwood now I don't like to see any go to waste 

Thanks for the link - not tried that one...

Have you tried this:

https://www.coals2u.co.uk/restaurant-charcoal-1

I'm just getting to the bottom of my second bag of it and I really rate it. Lots of nice big lumps and burns for a long time. I think you need to spend £50 to get free delivery these days though (was £30 when I got mine a little while back). If you have a depot where you can pick some up nearby you may want to try a bag as I don't think you'll find a lump of this quality any cheaper !

• 3 years later...

Not UK produced, but the 2 best UK supplied charcoals I've used are El Cubano Restaurant Grade Charcoal (RCH15) from Big K, and Marabou LAB15M from Labtos.  They're both made from the invasive Marabou shrub/tree in Cuba, so manufacture isn't sacrificing rainforest.  The wood is extremely hard and produces charcoal which is astonishingly dense (it "pings" if you knock 2 pieces together) and gives very long hot burns (many hours).  The Big K charcoal seems to be in larger pieces than the Labtos, but both work extremely well for me, especially to achieve very high pizza temp's around 450C.

I’ve had a bag of BigK restaurant that was horrendous, Smokey from start to,finish even at 400c! In fairness they sent me a replacement but not a good first impression.

Two bags of globaltic that were brilliant.

Plus a really good bag of fruit wood offcuts from a farm off eBay that don’t seem to exist anymore.

And some Alder from Amazon was v good.

Impressed with the CPL. 7 hour slow cooked half lamb shoulder indirect over a half deflector at 125C - pulled nice and easy. Slight smokiness - more than previous briquettes and lump I’ve used but not overwhelming. As my wife is hugely anti-smoke flavour, this was a success. Would recommend.

On 1/17/2021 at 7:43 PM, evilnim said:

Impressed with the CPL. 7 hour slow cooked half lamb shoulder indirect over a half deflector at 125C - pulled nice and easy. Slight smokiness - more than previous briquettes and lump I’ve used but not overwhelming. As my wife is hugely anti-smoke flavour, this was a success. Would recommend.

:-) My wife is exactly the same. I have had good success with the CPL, but I do prefer the Big K restaurant grade stuff. Either one works well though....

Good news that the CPL sizes seem to be improved based on your sifting, I bought a 3 pack once and there were a lot of tiny bits. Only use Big K Dura 15kg bags now and am happy with them, no smoke flavour from them really, and very little smoke when lighting is my experience. According to their website it's 100% white quebracho. I'm fortunate to be able to get them from a local restaurant supply company at a good price.