• Announcements

• John Setzler

Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 5/2/2017   05/02/2017

Please take a moment to review these rules detailed below. If you agree with them and wish to proceed with the registration, simply click the "Register" button below. To cancel this registration, simply hit the 'back' button on your browser.   IF YOU ARE COMING HERE TO POST A COMPLAINT ABOUT YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GRILL COMPANY OR ANY VENDOR AND HAVE NOT ESTABLISHED YOURSELF AS A PARTICIPANT ON THIS SITE, WE SUGGEST THAT YOU REFRAIN FROM MAKING THE POST.  IF YOU HAVE MADE LESS THAN 25 POSTS TO THIS FORUM, YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE OR COMPANY COMPLAINT WILL LIKELY BE REMOVED FROM THE SITE AT THE DISCRETION OF THE MODERATORS AND ADMINISTRATOR.     THE IMPORTANT STUFF:   1. NO PROFANITY 2. NO PERSONALLY ABUSIVE BEHAVIOR 3. BE NICE.   Failure to adhere to these three basic rules can and will get you removed from this site.  You will get a verbal warning for a first offense.  After that you get suspended.  After that you get permanently suspended.  The decision of the administrator and moderators is final on any issues related to rules and behavior.   YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).
Benm3

Pellet Grill- Yoder or Traeger Timberline

24 posts in this topic

So with John and Bosco getting these pellet grills, I have been doing a lot of research and really liking what I have read so far and both these grills have me very intrigued.

I like how rugged the Yoder is, but it seems almost too competition and lacks Wifi connectivity.  The Traeger seems more "user friendly" and has Wifi.  I'd love to hear from those that own these 2 grills what they like about each of them.  I've thinking I may have to get one to add to my gasser & kamado.

John Setzler likes this

I don't personally have one but i have looked numerous times at blazin grills. Made in the USA like yoder and seemed very well built. But I don't think you can go wrong

with any of them. 

If wifi is a necessity you need to start with the Traeger for sure... I think GMG makes a wifi controlled grill and the Rectec may also have it now... not sure.  

This grill is like any other... you need to ask yourself what you want to be able to do with it and then see which grill meets the requirements...

TKOBBQ likes this

Like John said, Yoder's are built like a tank and made for competition.   I've owned a GMG DB for about 4 years now and I've only had an issue with the combustion fan and replacing it fixed my problems.   The only way you'll get smoke outa one of these is low and slow.   If you turn the temp up, you might as well be using an oven in your house.  And low and slow will only get you just so much smoke.   SWMBO likes this about the pellet poopers because she's not a big fan of heavy smoke.  I have in the past used some wood chunks in my Pit Boss and she was not happy with the flavor.   I've turned out some amazing briskets in my pellet stove and I've had some not so good.   Would love to have a Yoder or a Blazn but they're a might out of my budget constraints.59656f65bee2c_Brisketafter3hoursincooler.thumb.JPG.deeba82782b2ebcb1c3ebb7483fb311e.JPG

So my main interest is being able to do low and slow.  I am not concerned about searing as I have a Kamado and a Napoleon Prestige Pro gasser for high heat.  Ribs, Briskets, Butts, etc.  I know you can do them on a Kamado, but I find myself wanting more space than my current Kamado gives me and this would only be slightly more or about the same if I bought a KJ plus some accessories.  It would give me flexibility which I like a lot.  Quick cooks can use the gasser.  When time is more abundant, I can user the Kamado, and then I have the pellet grill as another option or when I need to do large cooks either for guests or friends.  

What I am hearing though is that the smoke profile is light on the pellet grills.  Is that correct?  Is that why the Traeger has a supersmoke setting?

18 minutes ago, Benm3 said:

So my main interest is being able to do low and slow.  I am not concerned about searing as I have a Kamado and a Napoleon Prestige Pro gasser for high heat.  Ribs, Briskets, Butts, etc.  I know you can do them on a Kamado, but I find myself wanting more space than my current Kamado gives me and this would only be slightly more or about the same if I bought a KJ plus some accessories.  It would give me flexibility which I like a lot.  Quick cooks can use the gasser.  When time is more abundant, I can user the Kamado, and then I have the pellet grill as another option or when I need to do large cooks either for guests or friends.  

What I am hearing though is that the smoke profile is light on the pellet grills.  Is that correct?  Is that why the Traeger has a supersmoke setting?

The smoke profile on the pellet grills IS usually a bit softer than most other smokers.  That's actually one of the things I like about it.  It's a lighter kiss of smoke and never overpowering.  You will be HARD pressed to over smoke anything on a pellet grill.  There are options available for adding additional smoke with things like the A-MAZE-N pellet smoker tubes and stuff like that....

We have a Timberline on order for my husband. Cleaned up and sold his Green Mountain Jim Bowie weeks ago when we ordered the Traeger. He's not a happy camper watching the summer tick by with the smoker spot on the deck empty. He's limited to his tail gate size Davy Crockett... which is fine but small. Will let you know what we think about the Timberline of it ever shows up. 

If you are on the fence about a pellet grill consider ordering the Green Mountain Davy Crockett through Sam's club. It's a really good deal at $348 with wifi and a cover and case and some pellets. And if you love it you can order a full size one and have the tailgater to take with you if the opportunity comes up (camping, vacation, etc).

If that spot on the deck stays open much longer it's going to get occupied with something of my choosing though....  lol. 

3 minutes ago, KismetKamado said:

We have a Timberline on order for my husband. Cleaned up and sold his Green Mountain Jim Bowie weeks ago when we ordered the Traeger. He's not a happy camper watching the summer tick by with the smoker spot on the deck empty. He's limited to his tail gate size Davy Crockett... which is fine but small. Will let you know what we think about the Timberline of it ever shows up. 

If you are on the fence about a pellet grill consider ordering the Green Mountain Davy Crockett through Sam's club. It's a really good deal at $348 with wifi and a cover and case and some pellets. And if you love it you can order a full size one and have the tailgater to take with you if the opportunity comes up (camping, vacation, etc).

If that spot on the deck stays open much longer it's going to get occupied with something of my choosing though....  lol. 

That things looks pretty petite, LOL, being able to sit on the back of a pick up bed.  William Sonoma of all places has them to order and since all are going at full retail I would assume, it doesn't matter where you buy it from as you'll pay the same.  I wish someone around me had one so that I can see one cooking.    Again, I just see a pellet as making more sense than picking up a second Kamado.  I would consider a KK, but it would be the same as a regular Kamado, just super nice.  I think the attraction of the ease of use of the pellets and since I have 2 other types of grills, I get to choice depending on the need what I may be making.  

1 minute ago, Benm3 said:

That things looks pretty petite, LOL, being able to sit on the back of a pick up bed.  William Sonoma of all places has them to order and since all are going at full retail I would assume, it doesn't matter where you buy it from as you'll pay the same.  I wish someone around me had one so that I can see one cooking.    Again, I just see a pellet as making more sense than picking up a second Kamado.  I would consider a KK, but it would be the same as a regular Kamado, just super nice.  I think the attraction of the ease of use of the pellets and since I have 2 other types of grills, I get to choice depending on the need what I may be making.  

Do you have a Timberline dealer in your area?  I live in the middle of nowhere and went to our dealer in town and they had one on the floor.

So I just took a look at Green Mountain, Rec Tec, and Blazn grills.  Green Mountain is the only one that has Wifi, but I feel it does not have enough shelf flexibility and I would have to get a larger grill to accomodate larger cooks.  Rec Tec does not have Wifi and is only one grate.  Blazn grills has a option for 3 shelves which is perfect for large rib cooks, but no Wifi.  

The Traeger with the 3 shelves has voluminous capacity and has Wifi.  Does the Yoder offer Wifi?

3 minutes ago, Benm3 said:

So I just took a look at Green Mountain, Rec Tec, and Blazn grills.  Green Mountain is the only one that has Wifi, but I feel it does not have enough shelf flexibility and I would have to get a larger grill to accomodate larger cooks.  Rec Tec does not have Wifi and is only one grate.  Blazn grills has a option for 3 shelves which is perfect for large rib cooks, but no Wifi.  

The Traeger with the 3 shelves has voluminous capacity and has Wifi.  Does the Yoder offer Wifi?

The shelf capacity is a huge issue with the Green Mountain.  And their smoke shelf is a joke.  That was what sealed the deal for us on the Timberline.  I will say that Green Mountain's customer service was very good though.

3 minutes ago, KismetKamado said:

Do you have a Timberline dealer in your area?  I live in the middle of nowhere and went to our dealer in town and they had one on the floor.

Yes, there is one actually less than 5 minutes away, but I don't know if they have a Timberline on the floor.  The store doesn't have a lot of floor space and they have many BGEs there now.  Secondly, at least for me, getting to see the grill is nice, but the real test for me is when I cook on it.  We built a new home last year and I traveled to cook on the 2 brands of ranges I was looking at for our kitchen.  I needed to see and feel how they performed not just how they looked.  Granted, kitchen appliances are 5-7x what the cost of a timerberline is, but the proof for me is in the actual cooking experience.  

I am in love with this timberline.  There have been a few growing pains with the timberline, but the good news is that it has been all controller.  They are about to release a new software version this week that will correct the timing on the fan speed.  

With that said, let me tell you what I love about my timberline 1300

First let me say that this is in no way a replacement for my kamado grills.  I am like you, this wasn't purchased to be a high heat grill.  I was torn between the yoder and timberline because one had direct searing and the other didnt.  I read an article about the timberline and Traeger stated that they didn't add a direct grill searing area because that is not what they designed a pellet grill for.  It was a more convection style wood oven.  

Now back to the things that I love about this timberline 1300

1. wifire - I had zero desire for this option and I have to say that it is absolutely fantastic.  I can be anywhere and check my grill on my smart phone.  I never have to go to the grill and can do chores and errands all while being able to check in at anytime and make adjustments via the phone.  Gone is the stress of not knowing what is going on and needing to add a digital remote temp device. Also the app is lights out.  Being able to make cooking cycles and programs and downloading presets from the app for a cook is really cool.

2. downdraft technology/super smoke the grill has a new system to address the smoke.  Smoke stays in the cooker way longer and super smoke allows for a more intense smoke profile.  

3. Double wall steel.  This thing is heavy, it holds the heat well and the new gasket on the door really eliminates smoke from escaping.

4. I can cook at 500 now which is great, I don't need much more then that, as I have two KKs at my disposal but its nice to be able to grill anytime and quickly.  The pellet grill fills in the Monday to Friday spot for quick cooks.  The convenience is an understatement in my opinion. 

5.  Finish is wonderful.  It doesn't look bulky and it has a nice powder coated finish to it.  It looks nice and thought out in design.  My wife wasn't fond of the rugged look of the yoder.  One major reason not to go yoder was that I heard stories of having to repaint, and sand rust etc... that worried me a lot

6.  The 304 stainless grates are heavy and well built.  It just seems like a rugged over the top cooker with tons of grilling space.  Dollar for dollar, there is more grilling space on the 1300 then the YS640.  

I love charcoal and I love my kamado's.  I have had 8 kamados over the past few years.  

But... both of my kids are in sports, my wife and I work shifts.  We can't cook as much as we like because we are so busy.  I got rid of the gasser and almost regretted it.  Once I got a pellet grill, it became my gasser.... but with wood flavour.  It has also become my dedicated smoker now and I have produced some of my best low and slow to date on this grill

Anyways, I think its a great addition to any collection of grills and serves a purpose for my family needs at this time

13 hours ago, bosco said:

I am in love with this timberline.  There have been a few growing pains with the timberline, but the good news is that it has been all controller.  They are about to release a new software version this week that will correct the timing on the fan speed.  

With that said, let me tell you what I love about my timberline 1300

First let me say that this is in no way a replacement for my kamado grills.  I am like you, this wasn't purchased to be a high heat grill.  I was torn between the yoder and timberline because one had direct searing and the other didnt.  I read an article about the timberline and Traeger stated that they didn't add a direct grill searing area because that is not what they designed a pellet grill for.  It was a more convection style wood oven.  

Now back to the things that I love about this timberline 1300

1. wifire - I had zero desire for this option and I have to say that it is absolutely fantastic.  I can be anywhere and check my grill on my smart phone.  I never have to go to the grill and can do chores and errands all while being able to check in at anytime and make adjustments via the phone.  Gone is the stress of not knowing what is going on and needing to add a digital remote temp device. Also the app is lights out.  Being able to make cooking cycles and programs and downloading presets from the app for a cook is really cool.

2. downdraft technology/super smoke the grill has a new system to address the smoke.  Smoke stays in the cooker way longer and super smoke allows for a more intense smoke profile.  

3. Double wall steel.  This thing is heavy, it holds the heat well and the new gasket on the door really eliminates smoke from escaping.

4. I can cook at 500 now which is great, I don't need much more then that, as I have two KKs at my disposal but its nice to be able to grill anytime and quickly.  The pellet grill fills in the Monday to Friday spot for quick cooks.  The convenience is an understatement in my opinion. 

5.  Finish is wonderful.  It doesn't look bulky and it has a nice powder coated finish to it.  It looks nice and thought out in design.  My wife wasn't fond of the rugged look of the yoder.  One major reason not to go yoder was that I heard stories of having to repaint, and sand rust etc... that worried me a lot

6.  The 304 stainless grates are heavy and well built.  It just seems like a rugged over the top cooker with tons of grilling space.  Dollar for dollar, there is more grilling space on the 1300 then the YS640.  

I love charcoal and I love my kamado's.  I have had 8 kamados over the past few years.  

But... both of my kids are in sports, my wife and I work shifts.  We can't cook as much as we like because we are so busy.  I got rid of the gasser and almost regretted it.  Once I got a pellet grill, it became my gasser.... but with wood flavour.  It has also become my dedicated smoker now and I have produced some of my best low and slow to date on this grill

Anyways, I think its a great addition to any collection of grills and serves a purpose for my family needs at this time

Thanks, Bosco for the comments.  I've arrived at the same conclusions that you have.  I fairly set on getting a Timberline.  There just are no Timberline dealers close to me within a 100 miles.  Plenty of normal Traeger dealers, but no Timberline dealers.  For folks that have multiple grills like you, me, and John Setzler, it makes a lot of sense to get a pellet grill.  Like I said, I was toying with getting another Kamado, but then it would just be redundant.  If I get a Timberline, then I will have a pellet, Kamado, gasser, oh as well as a quad fueled Uuni Pro very soon.  With those 4 devices, I think I have the gamut covered.    Now to just find a dealer that can get me a Timberline.

TKOBBQ likes this