Pellet Grill- Yoder or Traeger Timberline

On 2017-07-11 at 9:22 AM, Benm3 said:

So with John and Bosco getting these pellet grills, I have been doing a lot of research and really liking what I have read so far and both these grills have me very intrigued.

I like how rugged the Yoder is, but it seems almost too competition and lacks Wifi connectivity.  The Traeger seems more "user friendly" and has Wifi.  I'd love to hear from those that own these 2 grills what they like about each of them.  I've thinking I may have to get one to add to my gasser & kamado.

You're other option Ben is the Mak.  It only Pellet Grill that produces smoke closer to the levels of an Offset.  They have the best controller on the market.  You don't need any tubes in the Mak.  They're $500 more than the Yoder.  They have the best Wifi controller on the market with a well design apps.

https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/2012-mak-2-star-general-1108

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am in love with this timberline.  There have been a few growing pains with the timberline, but the good news is that it has been all controller.  They are about to release a new software version thi

Actually @Charcoal Addict The closest to a traditional smoker offset is the yoder. They use the design of their offsets to produce the closest smoke profile.     Mak is a fine grill, @rwalte

So with John and Bosco getting these pellet grills, I have been doing a lot of research and really liking what I have read so far and both these grills have me very intrigued.   I like how r

Posted Images

50 minutes ago, Charcoal Addict said:

You're other option Ben is the Mak.  It only Pellet Grill that produces smoke closer to the levels of an Offset.  They have the best controller on the market.  You don't need any tubes in the Mak.  They're $500 more than the Yoder.  They have the best Wifi controller on the market with a well design apps.

https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/2012-mak-2-star-general-1108

Just took a look.  There website is horrible to navigate.  Very hard to compare models the way they have it laid out.  So the link you send me is for the Mak 2 star, which is $2699, without Wifi (400) extra and without extra grates (100).  That brings me to $3199.  Even with the Mak 1 star it's $1699 plus Wifi (400) and extra grates (100) $2199.  It seems the Mak 1 Star and 2 star cooking dimensions are the same as well as the internals, exteriors are slightly different as well as 1 star does not have a holding, smoker box.  With the Timberline, I'm all in at $1999 with Wifi, over 1000 Sq inches of cooking space vs 850 or so with the Mak.  What else makes the Mak worth the price difference?

1 minute ago, Benm3 said:

Just took a look.  There website is horrible to navigate.  Very hard to compare models the way they have it laid out.  So the link you send me is for the Mak 2 star, which is $2699, without Wifi (400) extra and without extra grates (100).  That brings me to $3199.  Even with the Mak 1 star it's $1699 plus Wifi (400) and extra grates (100) $2199.  It seems the Mak 1 Star and 2 star cooking dimensions are the same as well as the internals, exteriors are slightly different as well as 1 star does not have a holding, smoker box.  With the Timberline, I'm all in at $1999 with Wifi, over 1000 Sq inches of cooking space vs 850 or so with the Mak.  What else makes the Mak worth the price difference?

The Mak 1-Star would be my choice.  You're paying for stainless steel body and cold smoker option on the 2-Star. 

The biggest thing you're paying for with the Mak is pure performance.  It has the best auger and burn pot system.  None of the other Pellet grills can compete with the Mak's for smoke production. 

The Mak will give you a stronger smoke profile on nearly on par with a Stick burner.  The Timberline will have better insulation, the Mak will have a stronger smoke profile.  

It's a preference rather than a comparison.  

Actually @Charcoal Addict The closest to a traditional smoker offset is the yoder. They use the design of their offsets to produce the closest smoke profile.  

Mak is a fine grill, @rwalters is a huge fan of them and they look like pure quality.  For me, I really didn't like the look of them, I have OCD to some degree and the look of a grill is just as important as it's performance for me.  

With that said, my wife really didn't want to see a yoder in the yard as they were ambit robust looking.  

The timberline looked sleek, had a nice powder coated finish and it had a lot of great upgrades at a respectable all in for me.  

I think its its important to go with your gut, as you will be the only one dissapointed of you are unhappy.  With that said, I agree with @Charcoal Addict that you should look st all brands to come to a happy conclusion 

can't wait to see what you end up with 

33 minutes ago, bosco said:

Actually @Charcoal Addict The closest to a traditional smoker offset is the yoder. They use the design of their offsets to produce the closest smoke profile.  

Mak is a fine grill, @rwalters is a huge fan of them and they look like pure quality.  For me, I really didn't like the look of them, I have OCD to some degree and the look of a grill is just as important as it's performance for me.  

With that said, my wife really didn't want to see a yoder in the yard as they were ambit robust looking.  

The timberline looked sleek, had a nice powder coated finish and it had a lot of great upgrades at a respectable all in for me.  

I think its its important to go with your gut, as you will be the only one dissapointed of you are unhappy.  With that said, I agree with @Charcoal Addict that you should look st all brands to come to a happy conclusion 

can't wait to see what you end up with 

The Timberline was squarely aimed at the Yoder.  They also borrowed an Idea from Weber to use double walled stainless air gap to insulate the grill.  I'm wondering if the insulation in the Timberline will have the same impact as the Memphis grill.  

Insulted Pellet smokers like the Fast Eddy and Memphis have reduced smoke production.  It would be interesting to see if the Timberline overcame those issues.   

Hopefully the Timberline will help recover Traeger's reputation.   They've taken a beating over the past few years.  The Timberline is the first Traeger worth owning. 

The Lil' Tex is rolling garbage.  A lot of them are rusting out.   

3 minutes ago, rchang72 said:

Dang you @bosco now I want to buy another grill

Sorry, i don't mean to cause that lol

the pellet grill just really fits my lifestyle right now.  It seems to be a wonderful compliment to the Kamado to fill in for those days where I wouldn't normally have time.   

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-07-17 at 11:08 AM, bosco said:

Sorry, i don't mean to cause that lol

the pellet grill just really fits my lifestyle right now.  It seems to be a wonderful compliment to the Kamado to fill in for those days where I wouldn't normally have time.   

If do decide to get a Pellet Grill, it will be a Timberline.  Mak, Yoder, RecTec are not insulated.  That's just not very useful during the winter time.  When the temp drops below 15 Celsius, the Yoder and other uninsulated untis eat pellets like they're going out of Style.  

Give Traeger credit, they listened to people in colder climates and came up with a design that was up to the challenge. 

3 minutes ago, bosco said:

You won't regret it bud!

Cool.

I really want an offset stick burner and a gravity fed smoker.  

The pellet feeders are simply easier to run, feed and results are consistent.   This is what I need now for work cooks.

I couldn't agree more.  As much as an offset would be a lot of fun, it's just not the time for me.  My kids keep me so busy and I hate compromising my cooks.  

Having the pellet smoker opens up those tight days where I can't get to charcoal in time.  It is also nice to know what my grill is doing with the phone app.  It allows me to walk away and not be married to the grill.  

9 minutes ago, bosco said:

I couldn't agree more.  As much as an offset would be a lot of fun, it's just not the time for me.  My kids keep me so busy and I hate compromising my cooks.  

Having the pellet smoker opens up those tight days where I can't get to charcoal in time.  It is also nice to know what my grill is doing with the phone app.  It allows me to walk away and not be married to the grill.  

Pellets are easier to come-by than large sticks of hardwood in some parts.  Plus I like sleeping.

Offset cookers are all about suffering for your art.