Pellet Grill- Yoder or Traeger Timberline

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am in love with this timberline.  There have been a few growing pains with the timberline, but the good news is that it has been all controller.  They are about to release a new software version thi

Actually @Charcoal Addict The closest to a traditional smoker offset is the yoder. They use the design of their offsets to produce the closest smoke profile.     Mak is a fine grill, @rwalte

So with John and Bosco getting these pellet grills, I have been doing a lot of research and really liking what I have read so far and both these grills have me very intrigued.   I like how r

Posted Images

I have been intrigued by pellet grills now but have had no experience with any.  Recently I bought what I consider a entry level pellet grill thru Amazon.( i am not going to divulge the brand name because i have no desire to ill talk the company.) Needless to say I had nothing but troubles with it from the get go.  I followed directions on how to season it and it performed just how they explained. Cooked something that night and then next day i lit grill up and was playing around with the temperature settings and seeing how close to the grill temp was compared to the settings.  next thing i know the inside was engulfed in flames. so a few more days of experimenting with the temps and not being happy, I thought i had it figured out.  Threw on a rack of ribs and 2 racks on the Kamado Joe just to see if any difference in smoke flavor.  about a hour and half into cook the fire in the pellet grill went out(yes the hopper was full)  Amazon was real good about this  not only did they pay the return freight they credited my bank account before they received the grill.  in fact they credited it the day before i actually shipped it back.

I have heard a lot of good about Rec Tec grills and was wanting to buy this brand in the first place but was turned off about the $199 shipping charge but during the course of my experience with the entry level grill I discovered that if you ordered directly from the Rec Tec themselfs than shipping was only $99. and free if you buy the bigger of the two grills they offer(I think)

I bought the mini model 300 and I must say I am very pleased with it.  the high temp goes to 550 degrees and it does put a sear on  (not as good as the Kamado,) and the temps are true

its easy to clean and is definitely build with the aim to last and not to just get you to upgrade in a year or two to more expensive model.  has same features as their deluxe grull cept for the size and no chimney (which would be my only criticism 

one think I really liked about the company that it comes with the owners business card which has his personal phone number with instructions to call 24/7 if needed and that is a nice touch

I know this topic was about Yoder vs Treager  but i just wanted to throw that out

18 hours ago, Paul said:

I have been intrigued by pellet grills now but have had no experience with any.  Recently I bought what I consider a entry level pellet grill thru Amazon.( i am not going to divulge the brand name because i have no desire to ill talk the company.) Needless to say I had nothing but troubles with it from the get go.  I followed directions on how to season it and it performed just how they explained. Cooked something that night and then next day i lit grill up and was playing around with the temperature settings and seeing how close to the grill temp was compared to the settings.  next thing i know the inside was engulfed in flames. so a few more days of experimenting with the temps and not being happy, I thought i had it figured out.  Threw on a rack of ribs and 2 racks on the Kamado Joe just to see if any difference in smoke flavor.  about a hour and half into cook the fire in the pellet grill went out(yes the hopper was full)  Amazon was real good about this  not only did they pay the return freight they credited my bank account before they received the grill.  in fact they credited it the day before i actually shipped it back.

I have heard a lot of good about Rec Tec grills and was wanting to buy this brand in the first place but was turned off about the $199 shipping charge but during the course of my experience with the entry level grill I discovered that if you ordered directly from the Rec Tec themselfs than shipping was only $99. and free if you buy the bigger of the two grills they offer(I think)

I bought the mini model 300 and I must say I am very pleased with it.  the high temp goes to 550 degrees and it does put a sear on  (not as good as the Kamado,) and the temps are true

its easy to clean and is definitely build with the aim to last and not to just get you to upgrade in a year or two to more expensive model.  has same features as their deluxe grull cept for the size and no chimney (which would be my only criticism 

one think I really liked about the company that it comes with the owners business card which has his personal phone number with instructions to call 24/7 if needed and that is a nice touch

I know this topic was about Yoder vs Treager  but i just wanted to throw that out

Traeger has new ownership that seems determined to restore people's faith in their brand.  We'll have to see what changes they decide to make to the rest of their line-up.  

I still don't get why companies insist on putting cutting boards in bizzare places on BBQ's.  I don't keep cutting boards outside.  I'd rather buy a proper maple cutting board.  The resins in Bamboo make it a really bad choice for a cutting board.  

• 3 weeks later...
On August 6, 2017 at 1:59 PM, marauders said:

curious     which of the  other brands also sell  a professional / COMMERICAL   pellets grills?

I ate some ribs at a comp that were cooked in a $50 scratch n dent Traeger; those same ribs took 1st place that day amongst a few dozen competitors. 

• 2 months later...
On 7/16/2017 at 7:58 PM, bosco said:

I am in love with this timberline.  There have been a few growing pains with the timberline, but the good news is that it has been all controller.  They are about to release a new software version this week that will correct the timing on the fan speed.  

With that said, let me tell you what I love about my timberline 1300

First let me say that this is in no way a replacement for my kamado grills.  I am like you, this wasn't purchased to be a high heat grill.  I was torn between the yoder and timberline because one had direct searing and the other didnt.  I read an article about the timberline and Traeger stated that they didn't add a direct grill searing area because that is not what they designed a pellet grill for.  It was a more convection style wood oven.  

Now back to the things that I love about this timberline 1300

1. wifire - I had zero desire for this option and I have to say that it is absolutely fantastic.  I can be anywhere and check my grill on my smart phone.  I never have to go to the grill and can do chores and errands all while being able to check in at anytime and make adjustments via the phone.  Gone is the stress of not knowing what is going on and needing to add a digital remote temp device. Also the app is lights out.  Being able to make cooking cycles and programs and downloading presets from the app for a cook is really cool.

2. downdraft technology/super smoke the grill has a new system to address the smoke.  Smoke stays in the cooker way longer and super smoke allows for a more intense smoke profile.  

3. Double wall steel.  This thing is heavy, it holds the heat well and the new gasket on the door really eliminates smoke from escaping.

4. I can cook at 500 now which is great, I don't need much more then that, as I have two KKs at my disposal but its nice to be able to grill anytime and quickly.  The pellet grill fills in the Monday to Friday spot for quick cooks.  The convenience is an understatement in my opinion. 

5.  Finish is wonderful.  It doesn't look bulky and it has a nice powder coated finish to it.  It looks nice and thought out in design.  My wife wasn't fond of the rugged look of the yoder.  One major reason not to go yoder was that I heard stories of having to repaint, and sand rust etc... that worried me a lot

6.  The 304 stainless grates are heavy and well built.  It just seems like a rugged over the top cooker with tons of grilling space.  Dollar for dollar, there is more grilling space on the 1300 then the YS640.  

I love charcoal and I love my kamado's.  I have had 8 kamados over the past few years.  

But... both of my kids are in sports, my wife and I work shifts.  We can't cook as much as we like because we are so busy.  I got rid of the gasser and almost regretted it.  Once I got a pellet grill, it became my gasser.... but with wood flavour.  It has also become my dedicated smoker now and I have produced some of my best low and slow to date on this grill

Anyways, I think its a great addition to any collection of grills and serves a purpose for my family needs at this time

GREAT REVIEW.  Thanks for the input.  I am getting the Timberline 850 soon.  

Been following this thread with a lot of interest.  I am also looking at the Timberline 850.  I hate to say it, but depending on how my Uuni Pro works out, I may end up with just a pellet and the Uuni.

I just finished my initial burn-in of my Uuni Pro (with KJ charcoal) and even though it's -10C here today, it still easily coasted around 700 degrees once it warmed up.  Dropped in a wood chunk and it immediately jumped to over 900...

Doing some pizza tonight for the inaugural cook.  Picked up two cast-iron sizzler trays as well so that make for some interesting steak cooks!

1 hour ago, SmallBBQr said:

Been following this thread with a lot of interest.  I am also looking at the Timberline 850.  I hate to say it, but depending on how my Uuni Pro works out, I may end up with just a pellet and the Uuni.

I just finished my initial burn-in of my Uuni Pro (with KJ charcoal) and even though it's -10C here today, it still easily coasted around 700 degrees once it warmed up.  Dropped in a wood chunk and it immediately jumped to over 900...

Doing some pizza tonight for the inaugural cook.  Picked up two cast-iron sizzler trays as well so that make for some interesting steak cooks!

Wish u were closer. I know somebody in the market for a used keg. Glad u happy with your set up.