Has anyone made their own kick ash basket divider I'm thinking about making one for my classic. I wish KAB made one for the classic I would gladly purchase it but I guess I will try to fabicate something instead 

KJ will be coming out with an ash basket that integrates with the D&C which includes a divider.

DIY also works perfectly well. Just won't last 10 years unless you have better fabrication skills than me

Thank you for the pics the divider looks awesome that Kj making with their basket do you know if this will be a stainless basket and divider or will be like KAB and be carbon steel. I still might try to make something up for the time being thank you guys! 

Thank you for the pics the divider looks awesome that Kj making with their basket do you know if this will be a stainless basket and divider or will be like KAB and be carbon steel. I still might try to make something up for the time being thank you guys! 

KJs will be very heavy duty stainless. I believe the bottom bars are 10mm rod.

58 minutes ago, afingerhut said:

Not that I've seen. Also not sure it's necessary

I've hacked together my own divider and after numerous tests, I can pretty confidently say it IS required for OPTIMAL split zone cooking, particularly in a smaller (classic) kamado where there is not a lot of space to work with.   I say "optimal" as I am sure this will work OK...but it could be BETTER.

Reason being is that heat radiates in ALL directions, and the coals in the "hot" side will radiate into the empty side (and then up into the food).  A solid wall between the two sides helps prevent this radiation.  A solid floor also helps with air intake all going to the "hot" side of the kamado.  Now this can also be mitigated by using a solid deflector below the food which may be KJ's intent - i.e. you need to use the split zone to help keep the charcoal on one side, combined with the D&C system to deflect any unwanted radiation.

OK...so after thinking about this a moment...I've now convinced myself I need one of these.  Justification: I can keep one type of charcoal in my KAB, and another type in my "new" KJ basket with divider, and easily swap between the two.  Done.  Convinced.  Take my money!  When are these coming out?