I've hacked together my own divider and after numerous tests, I can pretty confidently say it IS required for OPTIMAL split zone cooking, particularly in a smaller (classic) kamado where there is not a lot of space to work with.   I say "optimal" as I am sure this will work OK...but it could be BETTER.

Reason being is that heat radiates in ALL directions, and the coals in the "hot" side will radiate into the empty side (and then up into the food).  A solid wall between the two sides helps prevent this radiation.  A solid floor also helps with air intake all going to the "hot" side of the kamado.  Now this can also be mitigated by using a solid deflector below the food which may be KJ's intent - i.e. you need to use the split zone to help keep the charcoal on one side, combined with the D&C system to deflect any unwanted radiation.

I do a raised and divided setup that very effectively creates two zones.

824dd780f3520c8276a31f5585a583bb.jpg

My divider does block the bottom, but I've also gotten good results using a deflector plate to isolate the indirect side.

7171525af936fbe85d907d341c14fa7b.jpgd42c9671aec5f60a63cf0b19cd93d58f.jpg

I think I figured out how I'm going to make it. Just need to buy some steel plate. 
IMG_2680.thumb.JPG.73fdcc15c00e8cea38a5f9e7b87eeed1.JPG
IMG_2682.thumb.JPG.7a5a27e411d5a215300612a1f01ccb4b.JPG

That's about how I made mine.

5d9fec507586f5eea1f52fe7ef9638eb.jpg

THD only had very light steel, which is working fine but won't hold up long term. Lowes had some heavier stuff if you have the tools to work with it

Yeah I'm going try and find at least 1/4 inch I don't know if I will need heavier than that. 

That would be super heavy and expensive. At that point I wouldn't bother DIYing one. Mine is 1/32" and is probably sufficient to last 3-5 years. Some 1/16 to 1/8" would be plenty. It's not really under any significant load in use

If you buy that metal from Home Depot or lowes it would be expensive but if you buy scrap from metal yards you pay by the pound I bet it would cost 10-15 dollars and last a lifetime. You're probably right it's over kill but everything I have made for my grill has been. I take after my dad who is farmer and over builds everything. I will look at 1/8 or maybe 3/16 prices. 

17 hours ago, Gunnergoose said:

If you buy that metal from Home Depot or lowes it would be expensive but if you buy scrap from metal yards you pay by the pound I bet it would cost 10-15 dollars and last a lifetime. You're probably right it's over kill but everything I have made for my grill has been. I take after my dad who is farmer and over builds everything. I will look at 1/8 or maybe 3/16 prices. 

I also don't have much to fabricate metal parts with. I just used a jigsaw and a bench vise. If I had better stuff, I'd have made something beefier and a little more stable. For the $10 I spent I've been very happy with the function. 

Reality is, I will never wear it out because I'll have the KJ version well before this quits. 

On 7/12/2017 at 3:49 AM, afingerhut said:

That's a nice looking divider. What did you make it out of?

This is the one KJ will be releasing shortly with their ash basket

Where did you hear this? I just got off the phone with a rep at KJ HQ and she denied knowledge of it and even referred me to Kick Ash.