Panonhas

First test drive on the Joe

Hi everyone, just got my Big Joe last week and had a slight issue with the thermometer, so just starting it up today. I've been cooking on a Weber kettle for years so this was just a test run to get familiar with the Kamado. I marinated some boneless chicken thighs for my wife and seasoned a nice 30-40 ounce Porterhouse for me. I only used one half of the Kamado and put one deflector plate on. I lit it up with my looflighter which was easy enough, waited about 20 minutes and put the chicken on the grill. Had it there for about an hour and 15 minutes prior to putting on the porterhouse. I initially started the porterhouse over the deflector for about 15 minutes. Then moved it to direct heat. I have to say that the Joe is a beast. Once it started going the steak cooked really quick. First opinion on it is..... everyone loved it. Obviously some chicken and one steak aren't really a true test. Next time, possible a pork butt or 3, lol. I will just have to slowly adapt to it. So far it doesn't seem very different from the Weber as far as temp adjustment. It is definitely a totally different beast as far as heat retention and temperature changes, but I am really happy with it so far.

Some pics

a71ab8d9d275894086924467fc6b34cb.jpg5eceb2edd0980a4a7a74f2baf7d4f05a.jpg5d9cd3b4f681ab4a0f327814da22dca1.jpg36cf45560db1de255c7f86f78022deb4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great pictures!  Makes me want to leave work and grill!   :) 

I am new too and came from a Weber kettle.  Be careful with the aluminum foil -- I think I saw a post that it burned onto the heat deflectors.....KJs can get HOT!!!!  ALSO -- if you do a real greasy cook --- do a quick clean burn (500-600) for 30 minutes...then close the bottom vent....15 minutes later close the top.  Burns all the "gunk" out so you don't taste it on your next cook.  

I was amazed at how well it holds temps. 

Great pictures!  Makes me want to leave work and grill!   [emoji4] 

I am new too and came from a Weber kettle.  Be careful with the aluminum foil -- I think I saw a post that it burned onto the heat deflectors.....KJs can get HOT!!!!  ALSO -- if you do a real greasy cook --- do a quick clean burn (500-600) for 30 minutes...then close the bottom vent....15 minutes later close the top.  Burns all the "gunk" out so you don't taste it on your next cook.  

I was amazed at how well it holds temps. 

Thanks for the tips. I will keep my eyes peeled for the foil. So I should just let it drip on plate? Any other suggestions?

looks great! Yup, no need to use the foil! If anything DOES drip onto it, for the next cook you can turn them up the other way and ta da, it'll be clean as a whistle!

2 hours ago, Panonhas said:

Lol. That makes sense. Thank you.

Also I think we can use actual pans if needed.  And only worry if going to a high heat.  

BTW -- I made the VERY rookie mistake of placing the hot heat deflectors on the side tables.....well I ordered 2 new ones because I didn't want plastic flavoring in my cooks.   Now the old deflectors are good to have on the side tables for when I need to place hot items :)