Thinking About Adding a Pellet Grill thoughts?

10 minutes ago, Burntweenie said:

Smoking pork and chicken and maybe grilling steaks, mainly need it for more cooking plus I just want to try one out. I will be keeping my Akorn for sure, a man can't have too many grills right lol.

Grilling steaks is the part that is gonna make this a difficult problem for you.  To get a pellet grill that can do a decent job of grilling / searing you will find yourself in the upper end range of pellet grills.  My Traeger Lil' Texas Elite struggled to get to 400 degrees.  It could get to 425 on occasion. Most of the average pellet grills are pretty good at smoking and roasting.  They work very well in the 225-375 temp range.  

I am not sure how the new Traeger Timberline handles searing but the Yoder YS640 has the ability and I will be demonstrating that sometime soon.  It takes advantage of some optional grill grates directly over the firebox.  They will supposedly get nice and hot... hot enough to sear.  You could possibly pull this off on a different setup if you remove the heat deflector and set up something directly over the firebox.  I have no experience with it yet.

Get @bosco to weigh in on the ability that the Timberline might have in this arena.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm in the same boat. Love my Akorn, but for low & slow cooks I would really like more of a 'set & forget' setup, and it seems the pellet grills fill that void. I actually have my Weber propane grill for sale now, almost new condition, just looking to get some cash out of that and put toward a pellet grill. I've been eyeing up that Pit Boss at Walmart. Price just dropped to $347 from $396. I wonder if they'll blow them out end of season. How are you liking the pellet vs the Akorn?

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/13/2017 at 1:21 PM, Burntweenie said:

Also thinking about a Grilla Grill Silverbac.   http://grillagrills.com/grills/silverbac-wood-pellet-grill/

For others out there considering a pellet cooker, I have owned the Silverbac for a little over a year and it is a quality product that puts Darned good smoke flavor on your food, and we love our smoke.   Can’t go wrong with this one in my opinion.  I also have a Kamado joe classic, a Cookshack, and Komodo Kamado 23 in my arsenal.  You’re correct on not having too many cookers.   The Camp Chef should do a great job for you.   Keep us updated on your cooks.  

On 9/12/2017 at 8:12 AM, lastJoe said:

I'm in the same boat. Love my Akorn, but for low & slow cooks I would really like more of a 'set & forget' setup, and it seems the pellet grills fill that void. I actually have my Weber propane grill for sale now, almost new condition, just looking to get some cash out of that and put toward a pellet grill. I've been eyeing up that Pit Boss at Walmart. Price just dropped to $347 from $396. I wonder if they'll blow them out end of season. How are you liking the pellet vs the Akorn?

The Pit Boss 700 are at closeout prices at certain Walmart stores. I bought one last night for $58 plus tax...

47 minutes ago, slap1914 said:

The Pit Boss 700 are at closeout prices at certain Walmart stores. I bought one last night for $58 plus tax...

I know! I've been trying to find one even for $200 on closeout and around here (Lancaster, PA area) I have not been able to find them. The closest one has 2 floor models still there and they will not go lower than $340 after questioning 3 managers at 3 different times I've stopped. They do not appear interested in moving them out, even though the xmas lights are all over now in the outdoor section. Guess I'll keep stopping and checking, but it's getting old.