Burntweenie

Thinking About Adding a Pellet Grill thoughts?

I used brickseek.com to find the lowest price in my area. The price was actually lower when I got to the store. That said, I had to drive 30 mins. The Walmart closet to me still had them at $396. 

I was in Costco at lunch today, and saw they are having their Traeger roadshow.  I didn't stop to investigate, but saw they had about 4 different ones.  May have to go back and investigate further.  I cant imagine it being that much better than my KJ at smoking, but then again I never figured my Joe would be that much better than my gassers.

8 minutes ago, GrillnBrew said:

I was in Costco at lunch today, and saw they are having their Traeger roadshow.  I didn't stop to investigate, but saw they had about 4 different ones.  May have to go back and investigate further.  I cant imagine it being that much better than my KJ at smoking, but then again I never figured my Joe would be that much better than my gassers.

Couple of notes...  I bought my Traeger from a roadshow event i stumbled across in a shopping mall in Atlanta.  There was no discount on the grill but they tossed in several hundred dollars worth of freebies in the form of pellets and other stuff to sweeten the deal.  They shipped it to my home from HQ.  I was not able to take it on the spot but Costco would have them on hand for the sale and Costco should have them at a discount.

Don't look at a pellet grill as something that would be better or worse than your kamado grill.  They are two different animals.  The Traeger will EXCEL in some areas compared to your kamado and it won't cut it at all in other areas.  

What the Traeger is GOOD at:

1.  Turn on a switch and it comes to temp, ready to cook in 20 minutes or so. No fuss no hassle.

2.  I found the Traeger to EXCEL at poultry and fish where a lesser smoke profile is desirable.  I think it does both of those items perfectly and better than a kamado in a lot of cases.

3.  It's light weight and easy to move around if needed.

What the Traeger is not so good at:

1.  High temperature searing/grilling.  It just doesn't get hot enough.  Mine struggled to get to 425 and that was about as high as it would get.

Everything else, the Traeger does a fairly good job.  It can make life easier for you when you want to grill, roast, or smoke on short notice or get it going in a hurry.  

Ask @bosco to chime in here on my bullet points above in case some of this information is inaccurate in terms of the new Traeger Timberline models...  I don't have any experience with that grill but I can tell you I would NOT hesitate to buy one if I was in the market for it.  I wanted one and tried to get one from Traeger but I got no response.  I got responses from Yoder instead and went with the Yoder YS640 on that front.  I am very happy with that grill also.  It handles high temperature grilling and searing with no problem.

I highly recommend a pellet grill if you want something that is quite versatile and as an add-on grill to your existing arsenal.  Just think of it as an outdoor wood fired oven and what you can do with that and you will be quite happy with it...

Awesome info John, thank you. That's in line pretty much exactly with what my expectations were for a pellet grill. I ended up just selling my sweet a** Weber LP grill I just bought last year for $699 plus tax (sold for $550) so I already made that commitment! I like my Akorn, but at times it's just been a little too much fussing. For low & slows I want more of a set & forget type of system. I'll be interested to see the smoke effect though as I really like how you can load up the box with 4 or 5 chunks of hardwood and get a nice smoke flavor on butts and ribs. I hear that you don't get quite the same smoke with the pellet, but there are 'work arounds'.

22 minutes ago, lastJoe said:

Awesome info John, thank you. That's in line pretty much exactly with what my expectations were for a pellet grill. I ended up just selling my sweet a** Weber LP grill I just bought last year for $699 plus tax (sold for $550) so I already made that commitment! I like my Akorn, but at times it's just been a little too much fussing. For low & slows I want more of a set & forget type of system. I'll be interested to see the smoke effect though as I really like how you can load up the box with 4 or 5 chunks of hardwood and get a nice smoke flavor on butts and ribs. I hear that you don't get quite the same smoke with the pellet, but there are 'work arounds'.

The smoke profile is more subtle from a pellet grill.  You will NEVER over smoke anything though :)  You can get a heavier smoke profile through a couple different techniques.  On my Traeger or on the Yoder, if I want a heavier smoke profile, I smoke at a lower temperature in the beginning... temps under 200 degrees, for an hour or two before I ramp the temp up.

Figured I would give an update after cooking on my pellet smoker for a few months. The Camp Chef Smoke Pro DLX is a great addition to my smoker family, I like the simplicity of it and the fact I can have it up to temp in 20 minutes or less with the flip of a switch. As far as smoke flavor you won't get a whole lot with the smoker alone so I figured out the perfect method is to use whatever is cheap in the hopper for fuel and use the a-maze-n-tube with a-maze-n-pellets pittmasters choice blend to get the smoke flavor I want and man it works great. I also get a pack of the cheap rectangle foil pans from WalMart that are about 1or 2 inches deep and they fit perfectly under my grill rack right above mt fire pot and I fill it about half full of been for added moisture in the cooker, this is the perfect combination for me, links below to the products I'm using. Happy smoking!

https://www.amazenproducts.com/product_p/amnts.htm

http://www.amazenproducts.com/category_s/62.htm