• Announcements

• John Setzler

Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 5/2/2017   05/02/2017

Please take a moment to review these rules detailed below. If you agree with them and wish to proceed with the registration, simply click the "Register" button below. To cancel this registration, simply hit the 'back' button on your browser.   IF YOU ARE COMING HERE TO POST A COMPLAINT ABOUT YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GRILL COMPANY OR ANY VENDOR AND HAVE NOT ESTABLISHED YOURSELF AS A PARTICIPANT ON THIS SITE, WE SUGGEST THAT YOU REFRAIN FROM MAKING THE POST.  IF YOU HAVE MADE LESS THAN 25 POSTS TO THIS FORUM, YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE OR COMPANY COMPLAINT WILL LIKELY BE REMOVED FROM THE SITE AT THE DISCRETION OF THE MODERATORS AND ADMINISTRATOR.     THE IMPORTANT STUFF:   1. NO PROFANITY 2. NO PERSONALLY ABUSIVE BEHAVIOR 3. BE NICE.   Failure to adhere to these three basic rules can and will get you removed from this site.  You will get a verbal warning for a first offense.  After that you get suspended.  After that you get permanently suspended.  The decision of the administrator and moderators is final on any issues related to rules and behavior.   YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).
Ynguns251

Hello all I need advice on a grill.

31 posts in this topic

Hello to everyone on here.  My name is Jim and I am really interested in purchasing a Kamado grill.  I am new to grilling with charcoal and would like advice on a good entry level grill to get started.  I see so many people raving about the manado Joe and I also hear good things on the Vision grills.  I am usually only cooking for myself and my daughter and wonder if getting a smaller manado would be ok?

John Setzler likes this

Hello and Welcome Ynguns, glad to have you with us. Lots of info on a variety of grills available here. The decision, however, is a personal one that comes down to the equation between what you want and what you want to spend. I cook for two, my wife and I,  on a large BGE and think the 18.5 grate size is just about perfect for us. All of the big three companies (BGE, KJ,Primo) make smaller size kamados. I believe Vision as well puts out some compact kamados. If your looking at cost alone, the Akorn all metal kamado is the most affordable with ceramic kamados,  Vision, Pit Boss and some other models that use Auplex components are generally the most affordable. When you get into BGE, KJ, and  Primo the quality rises but so do the prices. Like I said, it's personal and depends on what your willing to spend. Enjoy the forum conversation. 

Some idea of your price range would be helpful. Kamados range from roughly $300.00 to over $9000.00. You used the words entry level. Without trying to offend anyone, the akorn fits that description as far as price, being on the lower end of the scale. I think the vision would be next. Kamado joe, primo, and big green egg comprise what is often called the big three, because they are all relatively close in price and quality, plus they offer somewhat similar sizes and options. I wouldn't call any of the three entry level necessarily, unless you opt for the smaller size with the intention of getting a bigger one later. 

Any of the aforementioned kamados will give you a great cooking experience. My suggestion is to first decide on a price range, and go from there. 

Happy cooking!

marauders likes this

Thanks everyone.  I was looking at getting the Kamado Joe jr but after seeing it's limitations I may need a bigger one.  I don't mind spending a little more for quality and from what I here is that the Kamado Joe is a good choice and also the Primo but what has the most bang for your buck? 

TKOBBQ likes this

2 hours ago, Ynguns251 said:

Thanks everyone.  I was looking at getting the Kamado Joe jr but after seeing it's limitations I may need a bigger one.  I don't mind spending a little more for quality and from what I here is that the Kamado Joe is a good choice and also the Primo but what has the most bang for your buck? 

The K Joe includes accessories that the other 2 do not, usually saving you some $$$.   The Primo is made is US, if that is important to you.  If you have a good, reputable dealer nearby -- do take that into consideration as to which brand you decide to buy.  A good dealer/rep. is sometimes priceless if problems arise.

marauders and TKOBBQ like this

I will look for a local dealer.  I live 20 min from Chicago so I am sure there are several and I think it would be good to get a hands on feel of the grill prior to purchasing.  I don't cook much but that is also because I don't have a good grill and the summers are too darn hot to do indoor meals.  I cook more here at the firehouse but really enjoy grilling with lump charcoal as opposed to just gas flame.

Thanks from Jim

2 hours ago, Ynguns251 said:

I will look for a local dealer.  I live 20 min from Chicago so I am sure there are several and I think it would be good to get a hands on feel of the grill prior to purchasing.  I don't cook much but that is also because I don't have a good grill and the summers are too darn hot to do indoor meals.  I cook more here at the firehouse but really enjoy grilling with lump charcoal as opposed to just gas flame.

Thanks from Jim

DON'T TELL EM AT THE FIREHOUSE THAT YOU GOT A KAMADO,  you could become the chief cook and bottle washer.default_rolling.gif.7a81a6fc1db90567f11556e5d50d7c4b.gif

Ynguns251, marauders and smoker08 like this

Welcome to the family, ynguns

I was in a similar position a little while back and decided on the KJ

Price wasn't really as much of a factor as it could've been as I usually like doing things right the first time and don't see much point in spending $300-$600 now for an entry level grill only to upgrade it another 12-18 months later when I'm off my Kamado training wheels.

The KJ Classic should suit your needs perfectly as its large enough to cook for a few people (4-6) and comes with everything you need to get started (except for charcoal, of course) and the new 2017 models have come with some features that really help to minimise the "downsides" of ceramic grilling

Astroguy57 likes this

Everyone will recommend their own grill. But truth is,  you will likely be happy with whatever your choice is

I say get one that fits your budget.     I have a Vision Classic B which was my first Kamado.   My second Kamado a joe junior. I am happy with both Kamados,   I would like Big Joe but I need to have Garage built and basement finished before I will be allowed to get a 3rd Kamado.  I have seen very good results with many different brands of kamados.  You will be happy with what ever Kamado you end up getting.  The choice is yours.   

Thank you all and I am so happy to be on a site that actually helps newbies like myself.  

You asked about an entry level kamado and indicate that something around the size of a Jr would do. I would suggest that you look at the Akorn Jr either at Walmart or online at Amazon for $109 on sale now. It has a 14" grate instead of a 10" and is plenty big enough to cook for 2-3 people and is dirt cheap right now also. There are lots of satisfied Akorn Jr owners on this site already.

Yes, I did see that grill and figured I would go and get one ( just for the heck of it ) and if anything I could take it to the firehouse and smoke some briskets and other stuff.  I looked at the BGE and it is a little costly as compared to KJ with less accesories and was at Costco and saw a pit boss for $650 which seemed sturdy but I want to make sure whatever grill I purchase has good service and a warranty.