KJ Classic vs. KJII Classic

logopolis

I am joining the forums today and hoping to be able to contribute in the future.  

I am looking at buying a KJ Classic, but I am torn between whether to buy the KJ Classic or the 2017 KJII.  The $300 is not a determining factor for me.  I have heard from the store I am looking to buy from that the new KJII easy lift needs to be adjusted on a daily basis and is a pain.  He also said that the new gasket does not seal properly and needs to be locked to form an actual seal.  He said retailers are not happy with them and should have been consulted before they changed the original KJ Classic.  When I asked if they had any in stock, he said 'No' and didn't know when they would because there are likely manufacturing issues.  He also mentioned that next year they will be replacing it with a new model - the KJ Classic 2018.  Any truth to any of this.  It sounds a little shady to me.

Any suggestions or feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Ok, I will take a stab at answering some of your questions:  

1) I have a KJCII, I do not need to adjust the hinge on a daily basis. Infact I have not heard that comment on this forum or the many Kamado Facebook groups I am part of. 

2) the gasket has been completely redesigned. This gasket needs a certain amount of weight or pressure to seal by design. The new air lift hinge does not provide that, therefor you need a latch. I have an older BigJoe and a new KJC. The hinge and gasket are leaps and bounds ahead of the competition. 

My understanding is the 2018 will build on the 2017 improvements.  From my conversations with the folks at KJ HQ the 2018 will retain all the 2017 improvements.  

This dealer sounds like someone who is trying to move their current inventory. 

Yea that dealer sounds like your average shady used car dealer. Find another dealer. 

The hinge will need to be adjusted every so often as springs,  by nature,  loosen over time with repeated use. From what I've read it's a really simple, quick adjustment. 

My KK's have latches. Using a latch is not an issue. It's just what's needed when you have a kamado with an easy opening dome/hinge design. 

If the $300 is not an issue you really want the 2017 improvements. 

I'd go with the KJ II if given a choice. 

I cant imagine you would need to adjust the springs more than every few months,  if that. 

Going with the newer model also means you're aligned with future upgrades and/or warranty issues. 

At at some point I'll upgrade the gasket on my older Classic but I won't need the latch because I have the older hinge.  

I have a 2016 Big Joe in my back yard. 

I work at a store where we sell the 2017 joes.   People open and close the lid every day over and over again. Far more than in someone's back yard. We have not needed to do any adjustments.  I suspect at some point we may need to do an adjustment, but not yet.   And yes, because the lid is counterbalanced there is a latch to hold it down.   This clown doesn't sound like a reputable dealer to me. Run away and find another. If you are in Mass stop by my store. I'm right on Commerce way in Woburn across from the mall. 

We sell KJs. And i will not lie to you.

1 hour ago, logopolis said:

Thank you for all of the input and feedback.  Very informative! :)

I will be searching for a new dealer.

There are more than 20 dealers in Toronto listed on the KJ site, and another 20+ in Ottawa. Including Lowes. 

http://www.kamadojoe.com/dealer-locator/

If you have a Lowes near you go in store and check there floor models and inventory. I was able to grab a Big Joe in Calgary for $1080 this week. 

It was marked $1200 and they even gave me an extra 10% off at checkout. It was the display, but it is pristine and the new hinge is magic.

It is very you mileage my vary but it is worth driving to a few store to see whats available.

12 hours ago, PistNBroke said:

If you have a Lowes near you go in store and check there floor models and inventory. I was able to grab a Big Joe in Calgary for $1080 this week. 

It was marked $1200 and they even gave me an extra 10% off at checkout. It was the display, but it is pristine and the new hinge is magic.

It is very you mileage my vary but it is worth driving to a few store to see whats available.

Not all Lowes stores are Joe Dealers. Check the KJ website or call the store before driving around