bluayeddvl

memory foam mattress?

so Mrs and I are finally putting an end to less-than-great sleeps and shopping around for a good memory foam mattress.

this past week we looked at and gave an in-store lie down on some tempuredic and a terrific sealy optimum chill.  (yes, of course i acted like a teenager in all tests.  unavoidable. :roll: )

so today, while checking the interwebs, Mrs hit upon Amerisleep and asked me to have a look-see.

Who?  yeah, that was my reaction.  never heard of them.  but i thought i'd read on and see what's up.

prices seem inline, and free shipping in/to Canada too.  and if that wasn't enough, there is also an additional $250 saving on the Liberty if purchased within the next 4 hrs on amerisleep.ca

so, all you gurus, any of you have anything to comment on as relates to a decent memory foam mattress that will offer great support and not make a person melt overnight?  and what about Amerisleep specifically?  not entirely opposed to making the drive to upstate NY to pick up something US-specific for the right price.

many thanks.

There are soooo many on the market right now. All/most have a money back guarantee. I have a 9 yr old Temperpedic and started looking a few months ago. My suggestion is to search based upon your sleeping habits. I'm a side sleeper so having a softer vs firmer is a must. 

We bought a Tempurpedic a few years ago and I absolutely hate it.

I'm a back sleeper and it's very unsupportive.

Wife is a side sleeper and loves it.

supposedly we bought one of the more firm models.  That's a joke because it is weak & way overpriced .......in my opinion.   She loves it, though.  

All have come a long way, tempurpedics today are far better than just a few years ago. They range from what feels like 1 inch of foam on a wood floor to what fills like a barely filled water bed. We have a medium soft that i hated for 3 months, thought i might really like it close to 6 and somewhere around the 10 month mark loved it ever since. They do take time to break in. The ones in the store are usually well broken in, this one felt very firm for several months. If i had it to do over again, i would have tried a few other ones before going tempur simply to help save on cost. Though putting cost alone aside we are very happy. Also get the adjustable base, yes they are pricey but well worth it when you can tweak it regularly to suit your needs.

thanks all, for sharing your feedback and experiences.

it's an expensive proposition this memory foam bed idea, but what really draws me in more than anything else is the isolation of the transfer of movement across the mattress.  

Mrs has the jimmy-legs some nights, so not being disturbed by that every 45 seconds until i can drift off will be like being a bachelor again...err, like a dream.....err, much more restful.

also, we're both side-sleepers, so i hope and trust that we will both benefit equally from the mattress we ultimately decide to purchase.

I hate the way you sink in a hole, it's impossible to roll over or move around as the hole is shaped to your body and you have to heave yourself up and out of the hole to move your body position.

I'm a large and heavy human, 6/4 and 325 and I have bad news for mattress shoppers everywhere.

Good mattresses cost $2000 and up, there are NO good ones for under $1000, they will stop being comfortable in under a year.

Having said that, if the sleeper is around 125/150 lbs then the ones you see mass advertised will last longer than a year before the cushioning foam wears out.

Temperpedic:  Bought ONE about 11 years ago.  Used there warranty three times, as the sag was creating a lot of discomfort.   Easy and efficient, I'm now on the 4th bed, and YES, they have improved and YES I'm happy the current mattress (only paid for the 1st one).  Good warranty response!!!

Bought an Amerisleep 2 months ago. So far so good. Our very expensive inner coil matress from 5 years ago was killing us so we switched. With 90-100 day no questions asked warranty you can't go wrong. We went with the 2nd from the top model...Colonial I think

I bought a PuraSleep 10” CoolFlow Memory Foam Mattress in January of 2014 and have been sleeping soundly since....

i'm with you @Chasdev, i'm a similar build to yourself comin' in slightly under at 6'/300lb. Mrs is barely over a buck-twenty, so finding something that suits us both is a real chore.

my high-end coil pillow-top mattress was barely a couple months old when we connected.  that's been more than 6 yrs ago.  and this year we're both feeling not unlike how @BhamBruni has described.

Mrs stopped laughing at my separate beds suggestion long ago.

A slightly different take but over 15 years ago we purchased a Sleep Number bed.  It has a 20 year warranty.  For money sake we purchased the basic model and when putting it together I slipped a 2" memory foam topper inside.  It's a dual zone model so we each can set it to the firmness we want.  It is just as comfy as the day we got it.

Go to a Sleep Number store and try one out, they are fantastic.  We also looked at other memory foam mattresses but they make me feel hot like I have a sweater on.  My mother had one and in the winter it was hard as a rock!

Good luck on your quest, you'll hear all kinds of cheap talk about various brands, weed through it and do your research.

46 minutes ago, philpom said:

A slightly different take but over 15 years ago we purchased a Sleep Number bed.  It has a 20 year warranty.  For money sake we purchased the basic model and when putting it together I slipped a 2" memory foam topper inside.  It's a dual zone model so we each can set it to the firmness we want.  It is just as comfy as the day we got it.

Go to a Sleep Number store and try one out, they are fantastic.  We also looked at other memory foam mattresses but they make me feel hot like I have a sweater on.  My mother had one and in the winter it was hard as a rock!

Good luck on your quest, you'll hear all kinds of cheap talk about various brands, weed through it and do your research.

I hate memory foam -- just makes me sweat!  Even the gel infused stuff.

We just 2 months ago went with one of these Sleep Numbers, as 2 of our kids & spouses have had one for over 10 yrs. & would not have anything else (quite the recommendation).  So far, we love it.  I think both the Sleep Number system & memory foam beds have a 'cult' following -- AND, you either love 'em or hate 'em! 

Good fortune to you in the hunt -- nothing like getting a good night's sleep!!!

5 minutes ago, bcrgrill said:

I hate memory foam -- just makes me sweat!  Even the gel infused stuff.

We just 2 months ago went with one of these Sleep Numbers, as 2 of our kids & spouses have had one for over 10 yrs. & would not have anything else (quite the recommendation).  So far, we love it.  I think both the Sleep Number system & memory foam beds have a 'cult' following -- AND, you either love 'em or hate 'em!  Good fortune to you in the hunt -- nothing like getting a good night's sleep!!!

I think you'll like it, after 15 years sleeping on one I seldom adjust it but every-once in a blue moon I do, it's nice to make changes on occasion when I want to.  My number is around 95 normally but sometimes as low as 75.

You could be right about the cult thing, seems maybe you are (kinda like the 'i' thing or the 'android' thing) but I can with good conscious recommend the Sleep Number to the OP only because I have slept on one for so long - they last, no sag, no rotating etc.   

I'll never forget when we bought it, the sales guy accused us of being a "secret shopper" because, "you're asking all the right questions"!  Of course we denied it because we weren't but he refused to believe us.  I researched well before spending my hard earned cash.

I'll add for the OP, you can sleep on one for 100 nights and if you don't like it return it for a full refund.

If Sleep Number is a cult, then count me a card-carrying lifetime member. When we bought ours 14 years ago, I was EXTREMELY skeptical about spending that kind of $$$ on what I thought was just a glorified air mattress, but on night #2 I said to my wife, "this is the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in." I still feel that way today. We both love ours so much that we bought a second one for the guest room so that on occasions when one of us is sick, we can sleep in separate rooms without either of us having to sacrifice the comfort. I know some people claim to hate them, but we have several friends who've bought one on our recommendation, and every one of them is just as happy with theirs as we are with ours.