• Announcements

• John Setzler

Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 5/2/2017   05/02/2017

Please take a moment to review these rules detailed below. If you agree with them and wish to proceed with the registration, simply click the "Register" button below. To cancel this registration, simply hit the 'back' button on your browser.   IF YOU ARE COMING HERE TO POST A COMPLAINT ABOUT YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GRILL COMPANY OR ANY VENDOR AND HAVE NOT ESTABLISHED YOURSELF AS A PARTICIPANT ON THIS SITE, WE SUGGEST THAT YOU REFRAIN FROM MAKING THE POST.  IF YOU HAVE MADE LESS THAN 25 POSTS TO THIS FORUM, YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE OR COMPANY COMPLAINT WILL LIKELY BE REMOVED FROM THE SITE AT THE DISCRETION OF THE MODERATORS AND ADMINISTRATOR.     THE IMPORTANT STUFF:   1. NO PROFANITY 2. NO PERSONALLY ABUSIVE BEHAVIOR 3. BE NICE.   Failure to adhere to these three basic rules can and will get you removed from this site.  You will get a verbal warning for a first offense.  After that you get suspended.  After that you get permanently suspended.  The decision of the administrator and moderators is final on any issues related to rules and behavior.   YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dub

Windowsill herb garden ??

9 posts in this topic

Howdy folks.

I find myself using more fresh herbs in the stuff I cook, yet grow tired of the pricey or scarce nature of them in the store.  As soon as I need something specific for a recipe...it'll be out of stock.

I bought a basil plant and left in the window over the kitchen sink and it's done really well.

I need to get the other stuff I'll use.

Have you had any luck keeping fresh herbs growing year round in these windowsill containers ?

Is there a kit that works well for such things ?

Having some mint on hand for iced tea would really be nice.

We are fortunate enough to enjoy fresh herbs year around from our planter box on the back deck.  Basil, chives, rosemary, dill, cilantro, and thyme all grow well out there as long as I remember to water them.  You should be able to grow year around inside but might need a light source during the "winter" months.  Our tomatoes gave up a couple of weeks ago because of the heat but herbs are doing well.

Dub likes this

16 hours ago, Dub said:

Howdy folks.

I find myself using more fresh herbs in the stuff I cook, yet grow tired of the pricey or scarce nature of them in the store.  As soon as I need something specific for a recipe...it'll be out of stock.

I bought a basil plant and left in the window over the kitchen sink and it's done really well.

I need to get the other stuff I'll use.

Have you had any luck keeping fresh herbs growing year round in these windowsill containers ?

Is there a kit that works well for such things ?

Having some mint on hand for iced tea would really be nice.

Please share some pix.  I do, I have groundhogs that have an appetite to rival mine so planting in the backyard not gonna work. Windowsill might be a great answer. A few pix would be awesome.

Dub likes this

Not a good time of year as the heat is shutting down the herb box, but hopefully  you'll get the idea.  Bigger than a window box but works well on the back porch.  Don't see why you couldn't scale down to put inside.  There  another one with rosemary and mint in it plus pots with patio  tomatoes.

IMG_0150.JPG

Dub and TKOBBQ like this

Be wary of mint. Keep it contained. Use armed guards if you have to.  That stuff can take over a box, a pot, a yard and leave no prisoners. 

Dub, skreef and BBQ Bob like this

8 minutes ago, LargeRedJoe said:

Be wary of mint. Keep it contained. Use armed guards if you have to.  That stuff can take over a box, a pot, a yard and leave no prisoners. 

We have mint by our porch.. It has jumped ship. Spread really fast. 

LargeRedJoe likes this

49 minutes ago, LargeRedJoe said:

For sure, I have it contained in an old fashion galvanized wash tub with no bottom/side drainage holes for an escape attempt.  The tub sits on the ground and I watch for anyone who jumps ship to the grass below.  

LargeRedJoe, Dub and TKOBBQ like this

Great points, everyone.   

Thanks for the tip on the wondering mint.   I may have to keep a .45 aimed at that one....sure makes for good iced tea.

Don't forget the mint julips and mojitos, and my favorite:  Place olive oil, chopped fresh mint, minced garlic, salt, cumin, coriander, cayenne pepper, and black pepper in small bowl; mix well. Spread herb mixture over both sides of lamb chops. Pop a frothy adult beverage and head for the Akorn!  Happy Monday everyone.

LargeRedJoe and Dub like this