9. Smokey1

Smokey1

10. Marty

Marty

11. Billy Grills

Billy Grills

• Similar Content

• By DerHusker
      With the wife and I on the Weight Watchers plan, I’ve been avoiding some of my favorite Mexican dishes. Now that I think about it, this really isn’t necessary if I’m carefully what I choose and how I prepare the dishes. Take fajitas for example. A protein, seasoning and some veggies. Made with boneless, skinless chicken breasts and not much oil the fajitas themselves are only 1 point per serving. I can live with a diet that includes chicken fajitas, can’t you? Well, that leads me to the sides. Made carefully many of the sides are 0 to only 2 points per serving. Follow along with me and I’ll show you how I prepared everything.

The night before I mixed up some blue corn masa to make up some tortillas. (This is the one item I couldn’t cheat on to lower the point value. 3 tortillas = 5 points)

I also got out the onion and bell peppers to cut up

and mixed up the fajitas seasoning.

Ingredients:
      1/2 Tbsp. Chili Powder
      1 tsp. ground cumin
      1 tsp. smoked paprika
      1 tsp. garlic powder
      1/2 tsp. onion powder
      1/2 tsp. granulated sugar
      1/4 tsp. black pepper
      1/2 tsp. kosher salt to taste
      1/4 tsp. Chipotle pepper                                                                                                                  1/4 tsp. Oregano         

The next day started out by making a batch of my Mexican rice. (1 Point per serving) Started out by sautéing the veggies.

I measured out 2 cups of Brown rice, 1/2 tsp. of salt and 1 tbsp. of OO and put this in the rice maker. I now added 1 cup of Clamato Picante juice and 3 cups of chicken stock.

Next, I added the veggies to the pot.

I closed the lid and pressed start. Here are the results.

Next up was the Guacamole. (2 points per serving) Cut up 1 medium Hass avocado.

Now I added 1 tbsp. of light mayo, some granulated garlic, 5 heaping tbsp. of my Pico de Gallo, some fresh squeezed lime juice and mixed this up and covered.

Next up were some frijoles. I sautéed some diced onion, 1/2 a jalapeno, some bell pepper and corn and then added two kinds of black beans. (0 points per serving)

I now got out 3 boneless skinless breasts and coated them with the fajitas seasoning.

I took them and the cut-up veggies out to my gas grill side burner.

Now I needed to make the tortillas, so I rolled up 6 balls of masa about the size of a golf ball. I flatted them a little to make them easier to press out.

I was some issues with the masa sticking to the press so had to experiment with dusting the bottom with some of the blue core masa.

I heated them up on a C.I. griddle, very lightly sprayed with some OO.

Next I sprayed my 12” Camp Chef C.I. skillet with some OO. After it was heated it up I put the 3 breast in and cooked them for 8 minutes per side.

Once they were cooked I removed them to a cutting board and was left with the fond.

I dumped in the onions and bell peppers and let them start to cook.

While them were cooking I sliced up the chicken.

Now I dumped in the chicken

and stirred it in and continued to cook until the veggies had soften.

Now I brought it all in and plated it up with a Modelo Negra.

Here is a shot once I took it inside to eat.

Gratuitous side shot close ups.

OMG!!! This was so delicious!

Thanks for looking.
    • By DerHusker
      The wife and I are doing the Weight Watchers program so I’m eating quite a bit differently that I did in the past. This was cooked inside on the stove top, but thought I’d share it anyway. (As it was delicious!)

Ingredients:

cooking spray (I used some Red Pepper infused OO spray)

1 medium Golden Potato, Diced into approximately ½” pieces

½ cup onion, chopped

1 medium poblano chile, seeded and diced. (Mine was small so I added some Bell Pepper I had left over)

1 cup corn

1 cup black beans, drained

1 cup zucchini, Diced into approximately ½” pieces (I used a Mexican Squash)

1 tsp cumin (I used ½ tsp of Fajita seasoning and ½ tsp of cummin)

1 pinch salt, or to taste

½ cup, green variety (I used 2 Tbsp of the Hatch Chile and 4 tbsp of Herdez salsa verde - plus extra for garnish)

4 large eggs

2 Tbsp fresh chopped cilantro (for garnish)

Here a pic of most of the ingredients I used.

I started out by dicing up the potato and putting it in a slightly sprayed Non-Stick skillet to start cooking.

Once it started to brown, I put the onion, poblano and bell peppers.

Once it started to sweat, I added the black beans, corn, squash and seasoning. I let this cook for approximately 6 to 7 minutes.

After that I stirred in the Hatch chilies and Salsa Verde and let that cook another minute.

I then made 4 depressions in the mixture and crack the eggs in them.

I covered the skillet to help the tops of the eggs cook.

And afterwards I plated it up with some wheat toast.

As I said, this was delicious and except for the toast, it was zero points for the Purple Program we’re on!

Thanks for looking.

• By DerHusker
      Wanted to start Super Bowl Sunday out right. I decided on Huevos Rancheros.
      Started out making the sauce by sautéing some onions and bell pepper.

Once they had started to wilt, I added a can of diced tomato.

After that had cooked for a few minutes, I added a small can of rojas enchilada sauce and let this simmer for 15 minutes.

After the sauce was done, I cooked up some potatoes. (While these were cooking, I cooked up some black beans inside)

Grilled up some tortillas.

And finally cooked up some eggs. (these were for the wife’s dish)

With everything ready, I plated it up. Here are these pics served up with some orange juice and coffee.

Thanks for looking.
    • By DerHusker
      I love Tacos al pastor but have never made them myself. They are a popular street food here in SoCal and Mexico and I finally decided to try my hand at making some. Forgive me as this is a long one.

I started out by thawing a Pork Butt I had in the freezer that I had purchased on sale for $.99 a lb. (7.93 lbs.)

I unwrapped it and found there was still some ice crystals on it. (which is what I was hoping for to make cutting it easier)

I cut it in half and deboned the other half.

I proceeded to cut it all up into approximately 3/8” slices.

I placed this into a large container, covered it and placed it into the fridge. I now gathered up the ingredients for the al pastor marinade.

Here’s the recipe I used. (It’s a combination of several recipes I watched on YouTube) Not shown in the picture are the pineapple juice and the vinegar.

8 lb bone-in pork shoulder (deboned)

4 tablespoons achiote paste (I used 1 – 3.5 oz. brick)

2 guajillo peppers (seeded and re-hydrated)

2 ancho peppers (seeded and re-hydrated)

3 Chipotle peppers + all the adobo sauce from 1 - 7 oz. can

5 garlic cloves

¼ small white or yellow onion

1 oz. Piloncillo (substitute brown sugar if you can find it)

1 tbsp. dried oregano (preferably Mexican)

1 tbsp. cumin                                                                            

1 tbsp. salt

1 tbsp. pepper

1 tsp. cinnamon (preferably Mexican)

1 tsp, cloves

½ cup pineapple juice

½ cup white vinegar

¼ cup OO

¼ cup of the water from re-hydrating the peppers

¼ cup orange juice

¼ cup lime juice

1 pineapple, skinned and sliced into 1-inch (2 cm) rounds (for the spit/trompo)

(Note: I only had some small guajillo chiles so I used 6 of them)

Everybody went into the pool for a spin.

I poured some marinade into the bottom of a very large bowl and then some pork slices.

I repeated this process until all the pork was in the bowl and pour the rest of the marinade over the top. I then stirred it until everything had a nice coating.

Now how will I cook this? Tacos al pastor is a dish developed in central Mexico that is based on shawarma spit grilled meat brought by Lebanese immigrants. It is traditionally cooked on a vertical spit known as a trompo. I don’t have such an exotic grill, so I had to improvise. I had found this indoor grill plate at a local thrift store for $2.17

and used it to create a vertical spit.

I now peeled and sliced up the pineapple

And started my vertical trompo stack adding a slice of pineapple and red onion after every 6 or 7 layers of meat.

I place the stack in the center of my weber redhead with coals all around it.

I then setup my craving station.

Here it is after approximately 30 minutes.

After approximately 75 minutes I removed the trompo and craved off the outer charred layer. (The char is an important part of the taste profile)

I then placed the trompo back in the redhead to char the outside again.

So pretty!

I then repeated the process another 3 times.

After I had trimmed off the outside 3 times I set up my taco cart errrr bar

and started to assemble my street taco plate.

Oh Yum!

Here it is served up with a Modelo Especial.

This was a little on the spicy side but oh so delicious!         

Thanks for looking.

• By DerHusker
      I’ve made these numerous times and I’ve posted the recipes as well so I’m only posting a few pics of this cook. See Links:
      Enchiladas / Sauce:
      https://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/12654-enchiladas-verde-con-pollo/
      Rice:
      https://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/24634-mexican-rice/

Started out making the sauce.

Roasting the veggies and cooking the chicken.

Once everything was done I mixed the chicken with some slivered onion and some cheese. I rolled / wrapped up a dozen enchiladas. I covered them with more sauce and some cheese and baked them on the kamado for 25 minutes.

I plated some up with some fresh made Mexican rice, Frijoles’, some radish and a Modelo Negra.

Muy Delicioso!
      Thanks for looking.