• Announcements

• John Setzler

Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 5/2/2017   05/02/2017

Please take a moment to review these rules detailed below. If you agree with them and wish to proceed with the registration, simply click the "Register" button below. To cancel this registration, simply hit the 'back' button on your browser.   IF YOU ARE COMING HERE TO POST A COMPLAINT ABOUT YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GRILL COMPANY OR ANY VENDOR AND HAVE NOT ESTABLISHED YOURSELF AS A PARTICIPANT ON THIS SITE, WE SUGGEST THAT YOU REFRAIN FROM MAKING THE POST.  IF YOU HAVE MADE LESS THAN 25 POSTS TO THIS FORUM, YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE OR COMPANY COMPLAINT WILL LIKELY BE REMOVED FROM THE SITE AT THE DISCRETION OF THE MODERATORS AND ADMINISTRATOR.     THE IMPORTANT STUFF:   1. NO PROFANITY 2. NO PERSONALLY ABUSIVE BEHAVIOR 3. BE NICE.   Failure to adhere to these three basic rules can and will get you removed from this site.  You will get a verbal warning for a first offense.  After that you get suspended.  After that you get permanently suspended.  The decision of the administrator and moderators is final on any issues related to rules and behavior.   YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ckreef

Moving a used Komodo Kamado

19 posts in this topic

Figured I would post a general moving procedure for anyone contemplating buying a used KK. You can always call Dennis or go to the KK forum  to get a few more details. 

Ceramic Kamados are moved without the original packing materials/crate all the time. Anyone who bought a KJ demo deal did just that. They are moved in the back of a car, back of a pickup truck or on a trailer. Most used ceramic Kamados are sold local pickup only and are not crated in any way. KK's are primarily built out of refractory cement which is considerably stronger  than a ceramic Kamado. KK's and ceramic Kamados are not a fragile tea cup that's going to break if you look at it sideways. You just have to take some precautions to safely move it. 

With that said onto moving an uncrated KK. 

Never attempt to lift a KK by the dome handle. You will screw up the latch at the very least. Yes I have fixed a KK after this very thing happened. 

Never remove a KK firebox. They fit snug into the base and after a few cooks it is recommended to never attempt to remove the firebox. 

The dome can easily be removed to eliminate some weight. It takes less than 10 minutes and the tools to do so are located in the spare parts kit. If you do this you must be careful how you lift and set down the dome so you don't loosen any tiles on the domes bottom edge. Straight up, straight down, never slide it. 

Start by removing everything from the inside of the KK (grates deflector etc...) but don't forget - not the firebox. 

Remove the dome if you choose to do so. See warning above. 

The 16" and 19" table top models have handles on the two sides. These handles are used to move these models. 2 resonably stout adults (one on each side) can move these but make sure you eat a big bowl of Wheaties that morning because even the 16" is really heavy for 2 people. 

If I'm not mistaken the new 22" table top model does not come with side handles. Instead a special moving strap is supplied and hopefully the original owner still has that. 

The new 42" is a very special situation and Dennis should be consulted if one of these ever became available used. 

Onto the floor standing models between 19"-32". You will need 4 resonably stout adults (don't forget your Wheaties), two 2x4's, and two pieces of hefty rope about 12'-15' each. You tie each end of the rope to one of the KK's feet forming a loop that comes up a little higher than the hinge line. (Dennis supplies these ropes if the original purchaser still has them) Once the ropes are tied you can slip the two 2x4's between the loops. With an adult on each end of the 2x4's you can lift the KK up and onto a trailer. A pickup truck would be doable although a bit harder due to the pickup bed height. Once on the trailer use multiple straps and moving blankets (to protect the tiles) and carefully strap it down. Time for the most nerve wracking drive home with your new toy. 

To roll a KK across soft terrain (grass etc...) you can leap frog 2 pieces of plywood for the casters to roll on. 

Well that's the basic procedure. Sounds more complicated then it is. If you ever come across a deal on a used local KK don't hesitate to purchase it because of the move. With care the move should  go just fine although the pucker factor is really high when moving a KK - LOL 

KismetKamado likes this

Ckreef, yes the pucker factor is a major consideration. I just moved a used 23" Ultimate recently, I followed the procedure 

that you laid out- except I rented a U-Haul enclosed trailer. The trailer was a single axle with a low load height which allowed me to 

use a makeshift ramp to roll the Komodo into the trailer. The reason I went with the enclosed trailer is that it gave me a convenient 

tie down height to secure the unit high enough around the body of the Komodo where most of the weight is.

Also don't forget a good selection of moving blankets to protect the tiles.

Thanks for posting about this subject Ckreef, while it appears to be just common sense it is nice to have the info in one place.

prowe likes this

@Cornflakes n beer glad to hear your move went well. Good call on the low profile enclosed trailer. Going to add the moving  blanket thought to the original post. TY 

prowe likes this

On 7/16/2017 at 9:39 AM, ckreef said:

@Cornflakes n beer glad to hear your move went well. Good call on the low profile enclosed trailer. Going to add the moving  blanket thought to the original post. TY 

I disagree. The move didn't go all that well at all. Would have been much better had that 23 ultimate had landed in my back yard. But ok, at least it landed in one piece. CK, please advise future KK movers that to be completely successful the KK needs to land in MY backyard. Especially the blue ones.

ckreef and Mewantkj like this

Prowe, there is a very simple way to guarantee that a blue KK lands in your back yard, and it's not dependent on what anyone else does....

ckreef and prowe like this

I dig it. However I'm at the moment quite content with my set up. However if CK wants somebody to validate his hypothesis I am open to assisting as a neutral observer. 

57 minutes ago, Cornflakes n beer said:

The move went well for me - a bluejeans blue 23 Ultimate landed in my backyard.

: )

The only outcome that would have been better would be if it it was in my backyard. So glad to hear you scored. Enjoy that bad Larry. BTW if you don't post some pix I'm coming for it.

Just now, 5698k said:

I AM John Snow. 

I seen you say that a few times now. I have no clue...is your real name john snow? I'm old , or so they say, so be bear with me.

2 minutes ago, 5698k said:

I AM John Snow. 

Just now, prowe said:

I seen you say that a few times now. I have no clue...is your real name john snow? I'm old , or so they say, so be bear with me.

I'm old too - who is John Snow? 

Just now, prowe said:

If it would make you feel better "5698k knows ALL".

Now you're making me feel inadequate - LOL 

Still not changing my signature line...........