Pulled pork cook time? (And coals running out.)

zero

Hi all, been a little while since I posted, but still grilling up some delicious cooks.  I've got a pork butt on my Kamado Joe Classic right now, and it's taking considerably longer than I expected.  I put it on at about 9:00 last night, and now at nearly 6 in the evening it's just now breaking 195*F internal temp (I'm gonna let it get to 197, but I don't think I have the patience for 200 after nearly 21 hours on the grill :-D).  I think the butt was only 7-pounder at that (maybe 8).  That said, most of the cook has been at or below 225, which is a bit lower than what I could sustain on my Akorn.  Not sure what's to be gained, so that's why I'm trying.

Additionally, this is the second time I've actually had to add charcoal mid-cook.  The first time was completely my fault, as I didn't clean out my Joe before getting it going, and I used a bunch of old charcoal that had small bits that quickly turned to ash, blocking the air intake.  This time though, I cleaned it out and used completely new charcoal, and they were some REALLY big chunks as well, so I thought I'd be fine.  I woke up to find my fire a little low (210?), but still humming along pleasantly (FYI I'm using a Thermoworks Smoke, which has been working beautifully).  Meat was smack in the middle of The Stall, so I opened the vents a little more and then headed off to church.  When I got home, I was a little dismayed to find my grill temperature lower yet, making me think my fire was going out.  I pulled the meat off and wrapped it in foil, then pulled my grate assembly out.  I still had a few live coals, but so much had burned through that the ash build-up was blocking almost all of the fire grate.  I used large pieces of lump, and had the "volcano" arrangement as best I could.

Anyone else had this problem?  Thoughts and possible solutions appreciated.

3 hours ago, King19 said:

A 7lb butt took 21 hours?

Crank it up and be done with it

It's pulled pork the only thing the Carolinas  almost get right. Jk

Lol, that's about where I'm at now!  It did turn out quite delicious, but 21 hours is a bit excessive.  From my Akorn experience, I never could hold at 250.  I'd always end up jumping to over 300, so I'm a little (more) OCD than usual with the vent settings once it hits 200.  I haven't had any problems with my Joe overshooting.  It's always been a little harder than I'd expected to get it to the elusive 250 and hold it.

2 hours ago, KismetKamado said:

Not sure about the "volcano" arrangement....  just fill the firebox - no worries about any sort of specific configuration of the lump.

The "volcano" arrangement is from @philpom's definitive guide to low 'n' slow.  He recommends putting large pieces of charcoal in a volcano arrangement in the fire box, put a firestarter inside the crater, light it, and then put another piece of charcoal over that.  I usually have pretty good luck with it.  So far, the ash buildup has been the only issue, which ironically doesn't happen with my Akorn because the fire grate allows the spent charcoal to fall more freely into the waste collector.  The tight holes on the Joe, not as much.

6 hours ago, zero said:

I still had a few live coals, but so much had burned through that the ash build-up was blocking almost all of the fire grate.

For the future consider getting a kickashbasket. It will behave more like the fire grate of your previous Akorn as far as letting ash drop through and maintaining better air flow throughout the cook. 

Sneaking suspicion that you are running the grill too low to get through the stall. My understanding is that you have to overcome evaporative cooling to get through it, which does mean the grill needs to be greater than 212 degrees to accomplish that. 

Found this at amazingribs.com talking about the stall

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/the_stall.html

What rchang said. 225 to 250 is ideal for low and slow. As you've demonstrated that range is unable to get you to the desired temp in a reasonable time.

same as Sous Vide cooking it takes a loooooooooooong time to get to temp.

225° is no holy grail of lo/slo cooking, especially for butts. This is probably the single most forgiving cut in the bbq world. 

I suggest just loading your firebox with as much coal as is recommended for your grill, establish a temp of anywhere between 225°-275°, and let it cook. Butts can stand higher temps, but it's the sugars in the rubs that start giving you problems much higher than that. 

Whether  the high end is 250 or 225 is splitting hairs and doesn't matter. Relative to the OPs question is the low temp. If it's below 225 as I mentioned it will take a looooooooooong time to get done

9 hours ago, rchang72 said:

Sneaking suspicion that you are running the grill too low to get through the stall. My understanding is that you have to overcome evaporative cooling to get through it, which does mean the grill needs to be greater than 212 degrees to accomplish that. 

Found this at amazingribs.com talking about the stall

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/the_stall.html

@rchang72, thanks so much!  I heard the stall is caused by evaporative cooling, but didn't consider the impacts a temperature that's too low would have on it.  Will definitely keep that in mind for future cooks.  I think I'll start out the same, and keep it around 225 for the first couple hours, but after getting that smoke ring I'll crank it right up to 250 for the majority of the cook.

Thanks everyone else for chiming in.  Always appreciate the Kamado Guru community. :) 

12 hours ago, ckreef said:

For the future consider getting a kickashbasket. It will behave more like the fire grate of your previous Akorn as far as letting ash drop through and maintaining better air flow throughout the cook. 

I may finally have to consider one of these...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Wardy
      So started my first overnight cook (two 5 1/2 pound pork shoulders) on my Weber summit kamado very early this morning. Planned for 10-12 hours at 225-250 so it could get rested and pulled for an early dinner at 4pm. We're hosting a baby shower for my sister in law so want plenty of food without me standing over the BBQ too much whilst people are here. I've been finding sourcing large pork cuts tricky here in the UK but spotted 2.5 kg pork shoulders in costco so picked a couple up.

Did a basic rub of salt, sugar, paprika, garlic powder, chilli and sage. Left the cuts to sweat for a couple of hours and got the grill set up. 

I had some problems getting the temperature stable in the first place, I was aiming to start the grill about 11 and get the meat on for midnight. I overshot the temp, I think because I added too much lit coal, so spent untill 1am getting the temp back down and stable. I put the meat on at about 12.30am. Not planning to look at the grill again until the morning.

Got woken up by the kids so checked the temperatures at about 3 am and all was good. This morning I woke up at 8 to find the fire had gone out. Looks like either the ash from my briquettes had blocked the lower air intake or I'd set the vents too low in the first place. Think I'll try lumpwood next time and see if that's better.

I've got the grill back up to temperature now (about 9.30am) and fingers crossed 4/5 more hours will do it. Internal temp has just hit 152 so I'm pretty sure it should still be fine. The dome is currently at 260 which is slightly higher than I want but probably not a bad thing all things considered.

I wasn't planning to wrap the meat when it hit the stall but now am thinking it might be a good idea. I think I'll see where it's at at 11am. 

Atmospheric picture of the grill being lit and the pork shoulders going on from last night:

Will update with how they turn out later 
    • By cameronleespencer
      Hello There!

Texan, currently living in Seattle, finally got a backyard to do some grilling in this summer!

I'm currently grilling on a Weber performer, while I restore a Big Joe that I got off fb marketplace.  I have a thread in the DIY section with some photos if anyone is interested or has some good recommendations.  

Can't wait to get cooking on the Kamado once it is up and running.  Most looking forward to cooking some pizzas and of course brisket, being a Texan!

Thanks,
      Cameron Spencer
    • By cameronleespencer
      Hello there!  

I'm new to the world of Kamado cooking and to this forum, so I'm looking forward to some dialogue.

So I recently found a Big Joe for sale on fb marketplace for the irresistible price of $100!  The main body is in not terrible shape, but it's missing quite a few items, and will need some cleaning/repair.  I'm hoping the combined expertise hear can help me get this thing in good working order for the least amount of extra $ possible, and more importantly without damaging the integrity of the grill.

Condition Report:
      The ceramic body itself is in good shape with no major cracks or chips.  There are a few issues that need to be addressed however:
      The upper part of the interior has some green staining.  I assume this is from algae/moss since I live in the PNW.  Any tips on how to gently clean this, or should I just do a burnout when I get the rest set up?  The felt gaskets are in pretty bad shape and will need to be replaced (tips on cleaning and removing gunk would be welcome too).  The wire mesh gasket is mostly intact but has come loose.  Does anyone know of an adhesive that would be safe to use to re-attach it?   I'm not sure what to call this, but the hole that helps align the hinge on the back side of the band has been worn quite a bit.  Making the hole about 1 1/2" long and the ceramic a bit crumbly there (see pic).  Does anyone know of any substance I could safely patch this with, and how best to reattach the bands?  
      Missing parts:
      At that low of a price I wasn't too concerned about replacing a few parts, but after price checking I found I need approx $400-$450 in replacement parts.  I can get most of these from BBQ Guys, but I figured I would reach out to the community here and see if people had recommendations for third party replacements, custom ideas, or (fingers crossed) extra parts that they need to get rid of.  Here is a list of what I need:
      Firebox Deflector Grill Grates Flex cooking rack (is this necessary or is there another way to grill/smoke without it?) Replacement Gasket kit Missing the upper half of the cart, not sure if I will try and purchase that, or make a custom table I will be focusing on grilling and smoking with this grill, so I don't really need some of the specialty items.

I know this is a lot of information/questions, so don't feel like you have to address everything, but if you have some advice on any of the subjects, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks and happy grilling!

• By Nnank76
      hey guys,

Ive had a few pizza sessions on my kj classic 2. Although the last time i warped the steel firebox ring so not sure that should count as successful! I thought it aould be good to ask a kj specific question.  

My set up is deflectors on the grill in top position. Spacers on top of that with pizza stone then on top.

So my question/s is when doing high heat cooks:
      1. How long do u let the kj heat sink for? I have just opened the vents and let it ride. When up to 650/700 put pizzas on.
      2. Where do people set their vents? How open is the bottom and top? As above i nlrmally just open them up and stick the pizza on at above the 650/700 mark.
      3. How long should this sort of temp last or is safe for the kj? If i had a pizza party how long could this keep up for eg.

Any advice or thoughts is welcome?

Cheers
      Nathan

• By Graham
      Morning Kamado Warriors, 

First time poster and an all round amateur "cooker" in all honesty. Been using cheap hardware store Charcoal BBQs for about 10 years but decided that if i am going to be stuck at home for months then i am going to do it with a beer in my hand and a decent plate of food in front of me. I have just purchased a Big Joe 3 and it's on it's way ... Here comes the concern.

I live in the UK and have no access to my garden, i have to go through the house. UK Standard door width is 29" (74cms) ... is the dam thing actually going to fit through the door? Due to COVID, its me and my wife and we can't ask people for help due to the restriction in the UK. I can lift / shift a 100Kg washer dryer on my own but it almost kills me. My wife is fairly strong but i am worried that we will not be able to move the BBQ into the house to wait for reinforcements.   
      I should thought of these things before buying a ceramic hulk but all the pictures of you guys enjoying a veritable conucopia of meat dishes made me hasty!

Graham