Rival

Acadia National Park?

The family and I are going camping next week near Acadia National Park and I was curious if anyone had experiences/advice for that area?

We're excited, and looking forward to some hiking and biking (as much as well can with little kids), but more so just the fun of being in the outdoors for 5 nights. No kamado cooking on the trip, but am planning on some campfire cooking... mmmmmm lobster.

Rival, i've done several WW rafting/camping trips there over the years Penobscot River, Kennebec, etc, its moose country & its beautiful.

only advice: don't leave ANY food out anywhere, there's bears, mountain lions, elephants, gators and everything else you can think of.

what state are you all from?

Gorgeous area, we were up that way last month, on our way up to Grand Manan, NB. Get up there on Cadillac Mtn, have tea and some fantastic popovers on the lawn at Jordan Pond and hike/bike the carriage paths. We've camped there a couple of times and have always had a good time. Here's a few pics I got there (best viewed at "Original" size)

http://www.pbase.com/kaboommals/acadia

Moses in PA

1 hour ago, Freddyj said:

Rival, i've done several WW rafting/camping trips there over the years Penobscot River, Kennebec, etc, its moose country & its beautiful.

only advice: don't leave ANY food out anywhere, there's bears, mountain lions, elephants, gators and everything else you can think of.

Those Bar Harbor gators are amongst the most ferocious reptilians in Maine

1 hour ago, Freddyj said:

We live in upstate NY, and go to Maine pretty much every summer, but have always gone to southern beaches, never north of Portland. 

Hopefully we'll be safe in our tent, as I don't think bears can open zippers. Elephants are pretty tricky with those trunks though...

4 hours ago, Rival said:

We live in upstate NY, and go to Maine pretty much every summer, but have always gone to southern beaches, never north of Portland. 

Hopefully we'll be safe in our tent, as I don't think bears can open zippers. Elephants are pretty tricky with those trunks though...

Beware of the Bar Harbor Batman.  He is What I would be afraid of.(Yes, there is a Bar Harbor Batman, for real)

IMG_0052.JPG

1 hour ago, MosesM said:

Gorgeous area, we were up that way last month, on our way up to Grand Manan, NB. Get up there on Cadillac Mtn, have tea and some fantastic popovers on the lawn at Jordan Pond and hike/bike the carriage paths. We've camped there a couple of times and have always had a good time. Here's a few pics I got there (best viewed at "Original" size)

http://www.pbase.com/kaboommals/acadia

Moses in PA

Nice pics, I am hoping to get some good ones while there too.

There was an Italian joint in downtown Bar Harbor not far from the docks where I got lobstah baked and stuffed with scallops. I. Think it was the best lobstah I ever had. Wish I knew the name but try it out if you get a chance. 

Got it. Was Testas on Main Street.

My wife and I stayed in Gouldsboro for two weeks last summer. It is by Winter Harbor which is near Bar Harbor. If you like hiking then Cadillac Mtn. will be fun. There will be people everywhere this time of the year but still worth it. Also, if you take the more difficult trail up you will likely not see very many people because most drive up or take the easy trail on the other side.

My wife and I highly recommend anyone going there to visit the portion of Acadia on the Schoodic Peninsula. We could of spent everyday there. It has a beautiful view of the ocean and pretty much miles of rocky coastline to hike where you can get away from everyone, even though most people stay right around where the parking lot is. My wife and I loved sitting in places with the waves crashing right by us and we saw several seals with one coming pretty close to check us out. 

We didnt really eat out a lot but cooked our own meals at the cabin. It is nice to go to wharfs and get some lobsters and clams that they brought in that day...

3 hours ago, Rival said:

yeah, maine is great, been going to york beach since i was a kid but dang is that water cold!!

I second the recommendation for Schoodic Point, Less crowds but beautiful also take the harder trails = less people. We were there in 2013 so take my food recommendations with a grain of salt- Ruth and Wimpy's near Ellsworth, Dockside restaurant in Northwest Harbor and Westside restaurant in Bar Harbor. Nothing fancy just good food. 

Enjoy

We were there last October. Some spectacular beauty for sure. Ditto on the Cadillac Mtn drive.  Walk the shore path from Agamont park in downtown Bah Habah. FYI the Hannaford market in BH will cook you a live lobster to go at the best price in town by far.

We got back on Friday from spending 7 nights on Mt Desert Island, and it was incredible. Just an absolutely beautiful part of the world.

Since this is a food site, I'll include a couple of those highlights.... There was a lobster place across the street from our campground (and about every half mile on every road). We steamed four lobsters one night for a surf & turf dinner:

IMG_0943.thumb.JPG.440f9b21f20fa9500c6a918206e8c4c0.JPG

And a couple of days later, made two more for lobster BLT's which were a great lunch

IMG_1745.thumb.JPG.e71450bfb45e34146e2f7743eb0089c8.JPG

We picked a bunch of blueberries on Cadillac Mountain, and my wife baked blueberry muffins the next morning, trying out our Coleman camp over.

IMG_1734.thumb.JPG.8cdd1676a1a05a089a233b2394ee58d3.JPG

And for good measure, a sunset near our campground

20170728_195656.jpg