KJ2 Shut Down - Warm With Red Coals After 21 Hours

logopolis

I am a newb here and I have a question regarding shut down.  I did my first cook last night and I did a shut down at 9pm (closed the cover, closed the top and bottom vents) when the temperature was 435F.  I noticed after the shut down at 11:30pm, it was still at 300F.  The next day I returned home from work at 6PM and opened the grill.  It was still warm and there were red coals that were hot.  Half of the charcoal had burned off.  

I assume this isn't normal.  Shouldn't the lack of oxygen suffocate the fire.  Any idea what I am doing wrong?

2016 or 2017. Could just be ya didn't close the daisy wheel all the way if you grillin old school. Never mind, clearly you talking bout class II. I was not paying attention.

I noticed the Akorn vs KJII, difference in cool down times. Akorn was quick but made differently.  I read you "got it". Vents all the way closed. Verifying no leaks ( which  sight unseen, probably unlikely, there is a post on this somewhere.)

I Make sure the lid is clamped too. No tool or wires in between  the upper and lower gaskets. Patience with the thick ceramic cool down was needed on my end. It takes awhile.

If no air is getting to the burn, no more fire.

On 7/20/2017 at 8:13 PM, logopolis said:

I did my first cook last night and I did a shut down at 9pm (closed the cover, closed the top and bottom vents) when the temperature was 435F.

Even though I have had a KJ Classic for a while, when I got my KJ II I glanced through the manual.  Two new instructions there.

1) When shutting down, close bottom vent but leave top vent open until temp drops below 400.  Then close top vent leaving open just a crack.   I am guessing this new instruction is to reduce fire bowl cracking, but I really thing the new segmented design will fix that.

2) Once the grill is shut down, release the front latch.  I am guessing this is so the gasket is not compressed all the time.

My KJC bottom vent does not fit tight in the slider and when I close it I have 4 pieces of foil that I have folded up into small wedges and I place on on each corner to seal it up so there is no air gaps. Maybe you have a similar problem and if you do, it's an easy fix.