Jump to content
  • Announcements

    • John Setzler

      Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 9/7/2017   05/02/2017

      The rules here are simple.  You must behave like an adult.  You may not use profanity.  If 'behaving like and adult' needs specific details in your eyes, then this forum is not for you.  Failure to behave like an adult may result in your loss of access to the site.     YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

      Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

      The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

      You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

      You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

      Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).   Thanks!
Panchango

Another Goal Achieved...

Recommended Posts

This year I set out to achieve 4 fitness goals.  I have been back at the gym for 22 months now and my goals for the year were Dead Lift and Squat 1.5x my body weight, Bench my body weight, and run a mile in under 10 minutes.  Currently, I weigh 252 lbs.  Earlier in the year I managed 385 lbs / 174,4 kg on the dead lift and 405 lbs 183,4 kg on the squat.  About 2 weeks ago, a friend at the gym offered me some assistance with bench press.  I had been floundering and with his direction, I got on the right path.  Yesterday morning when I walked in the gym, he saw me and asked if I benched yesterday.  I said no to which he replied, you are going to bench today and you are going to break your personal record by 10 lbs.  Even though I was planning on doing back, I said let's do it and thanks.  After warm up and working on my technique (hand, foot, body, and breathing) I was able to bench 255 lbs / 115 kg without any assistance.  He said I should be able to get to 275 lbs in short order.  I walked around with a big dumb grin for the rest of the day.  Just wanted to share some progress.

 

255.thumb.jpg.bcedd159c09ee591a65fc0c4158c0d00.jpg

 

 

Next to the mile... The running is going to be the hard part, I don't mind cycling for hours but am not a fan of running.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, shuley said:

Congrats!!!  I am a regular runner and I find it much more motivating to run outside than on a treadmill. Right now where I live it's 110+ outside so I run on the treadmill 4 miles 2xper week. hopefully where you live is nicer. Just being outside helps a lot!

Thank you.  i am a cyclist and have the same feeling.  I much rather be outside enjoying myself than just sitting on a mind numbing spin bike looking at the wall in front of me.   I am in eastern PA and it is not as hot where you live, but was still in the mid 90s for the last couple of weeks.  I have been commuting by bike a few times a week this summer and the 11 mile ride to work in the morning is delightful, but the way home has been painful with frequent stops to cool down.  I am thinking about starting C25k once it cools down a little bit.  i can ride for hours without much issue, but unfortunately know I currently can't run a mile.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Panchango said:

Thank you.  i am a cyclist and have the same feeling.  I much rather be outside enjoying myself than just sitting on a mind numbing spin bike looking at the wall in front of me.   I am in eastern PA and it is not as hot where you live, but was still in the mid 90s for the last couple of weeks.  I have been commuting by bike a few times a week this summer and the 11 mile ride to work in the morning is delightful, but the way home has been painful with frequent stops to cool down.  I am thinking about starting C25k once it cools down a little bit.  i can ride for hours without much issue, but unfortunately know I currently can't run a mile.

All of my family came from PA so I have visited many times. Even though the numbers don't get as high, the part of PA they were from anyway had humidity that made it feel like it was pretty close!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Started the running portion of my goal last night on the treadmill after weights. It took me 15 minutes to do a mile.  It was a mixture of walking for a couple minutes, then jogging for a minute.  After my heart rate subsided a little and I caught my breath I would run again.  I ran for a total of 4 minutes and walked the rest.  I was happy that I could last an entire minute at first.  My calves were on fire. 

 

Onward and upward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Day 2 on the treadmill after lifting heavy today and I did the same mile, but I ran for 2 minutes, 90 seconds, and 90 seconds.  Feeling a little stronger and my calves didn't burn as much. 

 

I am happy about that and am sure that cycling has helped, but I have a long way to go to meet my goal.

 

Added bonus, I didn't feel like I was going to barf today. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good Go Panchango.

 

I am a cyclist too.  I use a high end fitness bike bike for cardio workouts and lately have been using a single speed on hills in the neighborhood for interval training.

 

I do my training by heart rate-use Polar HRM  on the bike.

 

Unable to lift like you since I travel a lot and get in some decent stretch band excercise. I got a gym quality set on Amazon.

 

The good old fashioned push up and pull up has served me well. I have use a stretch band looped over my bike repair rack for assistance with push ups-my upper body strength is lousy.

 

For a little cross training I have been hitting a hilly hiking trail nearby.

 

Belly fat is my goal to get rid of. It is a toughie but I figure fat burn persistence, will do the trick. Eventually.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, mike echo said:

Good Go Panchango.

 

I am a cyclist too.  I use a high end fitness bike bike for cardio workouts and lately have been using a single speed on hills in the neighborhood for interval training.

 

I do my training by heart rate-use Polar HRM  on the bike.

 

Unable to lift like you since I travel a lot and get in some decent stretch band excercise. I got a gym quality set on Amazon.

 

The good old fashioned push up and pull up has served me well. I have use a stretch band looped over my bike repair rack for assistance with push ups-my upper body strength is lousy.

 

For a little cross training I have been hitting a hilly hiking trail nearby.

 

Belly fat is my goal to get rid of. It is a toughie but I figure fat burn persistence, will do the trick. Eventually.....

Well done.  I used to travel 100% for work and it gets tough living out of a hotel.  I have plenty of belly fat to get rid of too, but am working on it.

 

Today, I gave the gym and treadmill a rest and did a hike on the Appalachian Trail near the Delaware Water Gap in NE PA.  I did this one a few weeks ago and today, I smoked my last since I started on the treadmill.  I have never been a runner, but am working at it. 

 

Left of the river is NJ and the right is PA. 

at_dwg.thumb.jpg.e5918f6ab2008c209d2c3ca72fd1664b.jpg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been making progress slowly with running.  I'm still slow and running walking combo but it is becoming more running than walking. 

 

Today the weather far too nice to spend inside on a treadmill and I put 50 miles of gravel on the bike with 2700 ft of climbing in just under 4 hours.

 

thorpefalls.thumb.jpg.66743e944f0c69240c17d0d4833a1aca.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like it.  From my school of hard knocks-watch out for  potential injuries. I am a bicycle rider too as mentioned above, and recently had to lay off for a bit to nurse some tendon (bottom of knee to top of ankle bone) and soreness in the arches of my feet. That torques me to no end as I really like to be outside.

 

Never would have guessed/never had these issues. I have learned to listen to my body-too many workout myths swirling in my mind.

 

Google doctored the whole thing-glad I was able to stay away from a bona fide Dr. visit.

 

Good to go again, but need to remind myself to slowly bring my ride intensity back to where I was.

 

And one other thing. Walking is so underrated. I have found to vary my walk lengths ,times, intensity to get to where a runner does sooner.  Even more so on the bicycle.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks like the running goal isn't going to happen this year.  My doc suggested that I drop some weight before I run as I was getting some foot pain.  I enjoy cycling and today I did my 200th ride (39 mi.) since getting back on the bike. I have since pedaled 2523 miles (4036 km) in 221 hours. Feeling pretty good considering I thought my chest was going to explode in under 2 miles on my first ride.

 

birdhousealley.thumb.jpg.1f6dde650d11256a734b39b4347fa86b.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are having bad foot pain no matter what this may not apply and please ignore.

 

A colleague and I started “Couch to 5k” two months ago after having respective kiddos and letting cardio go. We were both griping about running 60 seconds at a time at a 10:00 mile pace when we started. Now we are running three 5Ks a week at that pace or better and when I “cheated” and ran a mile this weekend I did it in 8 minutes feeling great. This comes from someone that loves biking and hates running. I cannot believe how fast we scaled up following the app.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 10/7/2017 at 10:06 PM, gotzero said:

If you are having bad foot pain no matter what this may not apply and please ignore.

 

A colleague and I started “Couch to 5k” two months ago after having respective kiddos and letting cardio go. We were both griping about running 60 seconds at a time at a 10:00 mile pace when we started. Now we are running three 5Ks a week at that pace or better and when I “cheated” and ran a mile this weekend I did it in 8 minutes feeling great. This comes from someone that loves biking and hates running. I cannot believe how fast we scaled up following the app.

This is an amazing coincidence. Foot pain.

I converted to clipless MTB pedals after many years of flat pedals-to see if I was missing something.

 

I knew I preferred a wide toe box but I got slammed in the bike shoe world.

Seems as if there is a manufacturer conspiracy against any rider not 6 ft. 1., weighs 160, and wears a size 9C shoe.

The bicycle world apparrel sizing is so goofy.

My first set of shoes were not even close to my street shoe/or their chart size.  The result was blood under the toe and the onset of pain under the ball of my right foot. Mind you I had never had foot problems ever!  Even when I used to run.

Local Bike Shops (even the best one) were more into me buying their end of season stock than fixing my problem.

 

Before you nod off,  I have ordered up some shoes (Lake Cycling),  {internet CS was super}, that should fix me up.

 

Keep those great pix coming.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×