Sign in to follow this  
moloch16

First Cook: Tandoori Chicken

After several glitches with Wal-Mart shipping of my new Akorn, I finally broke it in on some tandoori chicken.  Was going to do ribs but we harvested a ton of tomatoes from the garden and need to do something with them and my first choice is one of my all time favorite dishes - butter chicken.  If you aren't familiar with butter chicken its chicken cooked tandoori style coated with an indian tomato sauce (gravy).  So we had tandoori chicken for dinner and then later this week we'll make butter chicken with the rest.  YES!

One of the main reasons I went with the Akorn is I can cook low and slow or high and fast.  Tandoori ovens are traditionally crazy hot (900+ degrees) but I can't get that hot!  I pre-heated the Akorn up to 450 and threw the chicken on.  Had the vents closed to maintain the 450 temp but lesson learned - once the chicken is on just open the vents all the way and crank it up good and hot as the temps dropped down to 300 once the chicken was on.  I opened the vents all the way about 15 minutes into the cook should have done that from the beginning to get some better caramelization on the chicken. Turned out yummy can't wait for the butter chicken.

IMG_20170723_180047425_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170723_180057958_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170723_180537111.jpg

Looks and sounds good.  Did you let the Akorn stabilize at the 450 for a little while before putting the chicken on?   Once stabilized you shouldn't have to fiddle with your vents too much if at all.

Yes it was at 450 for about ten minutes, I think the combo of opening the lid and throwing a bunch of cold chicken on the grill took the temp down.  It would have climbed back up just not as fast I as I wanted.

Looks great! I've never done Tandoori chicken and didn't know it was cooked at such a high temp. I wouldn't recommend 900+ temps on the Akorn but you can safely run it at 700 if that would help with the Tandoori. You'll need to reseason your cast iron after the cook though.

Walk us through the process.   Did a little research and found the yogurt protects the skinless chicken so the internals can get up to temp.  Also, need to flatten the chicken as much as possible and cut slit in it lengthwise for more marinade coating.

450 for about how long?

I cooked the chicken for about 25 minutes after preheating the Akorn to 450, I was using my quick read thermometer to check for doneness.  When I do it again I will do two things differently and see how it works out.

1. Don't use my smoking stone - use direct heat
  2. When I put the chicken on, open the vents to keep the heat coming strong

I followed the recipe seen in the following video.  Note the subtitle amounts are wrong, it says like "1 teaspoon" and he's throwing in a couple of tablespoons.  He says "2 tablespoons of oil" and dumps in like 1/2 cup, so ignore those subtitles and guesstimate along with the chef :)  I did two whole chickens cutup and needed 2 cups of plain greek yogurt, you can buy two of the individual yogurt cup thingies and that's about right amount of yogurt.  We have a large indian population where I live so I was able to get the kashmiri chili powder, garlic/ginger paste, and garam masala at our local india market.  He uses mustard oil which looks very interesting, couldn't find that so I just used some mustard powder I already had in the spice cabinet and used olive oil for the oil.

I used this guys recipe today  ( Harpal singh sookie )  to make chicken tikka, see my post from today Sept 10.  I added a little cardamom, methi, and coriander powder as well but followed the recipe instructions for the rest of it.  tasted just like the restaurant.   

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By JeffieBoy
      So my daughter is getting married tomorrow.  A smaller wedding (98 guests) taking place at his family farm.  The groom and his brother own a distillery business on the farm and the wedding will be held outside between the home and the business.  The meal will be catered and the boys wil have the wood fired oven going for late night pizzas.  Think they can do four or five at a shot.  At the last minute she has asked me to provide a 60-70ish pulled pork sliders.  So I snuck out of work early today, managed to find five nice pork shoulder “partial bone-in roasts” totalling about 10kg (22 lbs), raced home, rubbed them up, injected with apple juice and loaded up the Akorn.  Going to finish them tonight, pulled and pack the meat and get into bed.  Tomorrow I need to pick up the slider buns that I ordered, slice the tomatoes and onions, prepare some sauce and away we go!  Meat will be rehated in the pizza oven prior to serving.

i had done three 8 pound butts before and they were actually a better fit than these five smaller roasts.  More photos to follow.  Wish me luck!

• By Tony Chick
      I recently added a BBQ Guru PartyQ fan to my Akorn to get my temperature issues under control. I've made bone-in, skin-on Chicken Thighs twice now but they taste way too smoky and bitter. I'm using lump charcoal, put a weber fire starter near the top of the heap and let it flame for a bit, then shut the lid, crack the top vent and set the PartyQ for 350. Once at temp, the thighs go on for about an hour.

Am I lighting it correctly, should I use a different temp?. I'm all for a bit of smoke taste but these have way too much
    • By Sean D
      Anyone have a problem after lightning for the first time where the seal is leaking on the lid? Smoke coming out the side. 
    • By Sean D
      Hi All, I got my AKORN yesterday.  I am just curious as to how long it takes to assemble.  I am pretty good at stuff like this usually.
    • By paulleve
      I've had my Akorn for almost three years now, and thought I'd give quick review as to how it's holding up.

First some details.  I picked up this Akorn for $250 at Walmart in March of '15.  (It still had a clearance price tag on it from the previous fall/winter.) In the last three years I have lit the grill 227 times.   If I had to describe an average cook, it would be at about 400F for around 1 hour. During the first year I kept close track of charcoal consumption, and I was averaging 20-23 burns per bag of Royal Oak lump. That is efficient!

I live in Massachusetts and keep my Akorn stored on a covered porch. I don't have a cover for the Akorn, but it rarely gets wet where it is located. I store it with all vents closed and keep whatever charcoal is left from the last burn sitting in the fire bowl.  The ash bin only gets emptied out after each complete bag of lump is burned.

Durability:  It seems like every review of the Akorn questions its durability. Here are some pics showing what mine looks like after two years and almost 230 burns:

The only damage I've had to worry about was caused by me.   Lesson learned:  never tilt the Akorn to remove winter slush from the bottom tray because it  just might get away from you and slam into the deck!  The result was two riv-nuts for the hinge pulled out from the body.  Luckily it was an easy fix with a cheap tool from Harbor Freight.  (I posted a step by step a while back for others who may need to replace the riv-nuts.)

The enamel in the ash pan is still shining after holding the remnants of 10-12 bags of lump!  There is just a hint of surface rust showing where the inner and outer shells are riveted together.

The fire bowl has most of its original enamel intact.  There is a little rippling toward the bottom where the fire burns hottest, and light rust is visible where the standoffs are welded to the bowl.

This is the interior of the Akorn with the fire bowl removed and ash pan installed.  That lighter colored ring is where Akorns tend to rust out.  So far no rust to be concerned about.

The fire grate has been warped sine I gave the Akorn its first really thorough cleaning two years ago.  It hasn't changed much since then, so I don't plan to replace it.

Water really is the enemy of this grill!  Mine is holding up great with no rusted parts or areas of concern.  I have two friends, however, who both have Akorns purchased about the same time as mine who are not so lucky.  In both cases, the grills spend much of their time exposed to the weather.  Even though covers are used, both are showing rust at the connection between ash pan and body of the Akorn.